overall

RATINGS: 3157   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
Gold Medal Winner, Great American Beer Festival (Ales: Brown, Bitter and Pale 1987, Barleywine 1988,1992,1995). Sierra Nevada Bigfoot is an award winning example of the English Barley Wine style. It boasts a dense, fruity bouquet; an extremely rich, intense, bittersweet palate; and a deep, reddish-brown color. This ale is superbly balanced between an almost overpowering maltiness and a wonderfully bittersweet hoppiness.

Beginning Gravity:23 Plato
Yeast:Top Fermenting Ale Yeast
Malts:Two-row Barley Malt, English Caramel Malt, Dextrin Malt

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
21iceman40 (1731) - vienna, West Virginia, USA - AUG 30, 2001
UPDATED: MAR 8, 2003 Look at the percenage on this stuff. This beer has messed up everyone i have ever seen drink it. The taste was so hard that I could barely hold it down,

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
mwendt99 (20) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 21, 2001
This beer has it all. Rich malty flavor, a little sweet, and quite hoppy. Donít drink it ice cold or you will be disappointed.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Drew Blood (151) - Mt.Prospect, Illinois, USA - JUL 26, 2001
Is there such a thing as too complex? I found this beer almost too bock-y for my taste. I like bitter but this was over the top for me. The second one was better, by the third it was way too late, but the impression is the same. In the right mood I may grab it again.

jstu9 (402) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 21, 2001
On 4/25/01, I gave this a 3.8 saying it was strong with a annoying aftertaste. I had it again. It is strong. It is hoppy. It is flavorful. Not one of my favorites but it is a very interesting cool flavor-filled brew.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
MilkmanDan (1943) - Eagan, Minnesota, USA - JUL 13, 2001
UPDATED: JUN 25, 2005 Excellent barleywine. A classic kick of big hops and maltiness. Itís so hoppy it doesnít have the deeper flavor of some barleywines, but doesnít really need it. A great one, really the classic "really, Iím an American Barleywine, not a double IPA" barleywine. If you donít like it, you suck.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
dolemike1 (1288) - Jeannette, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 13, 2001
UPDATED: JAN 27, 2003 Re-Rate: 1/03 : 2002 version. Damn this is still awful crap. I honestly wanted to claw out my throat as i drank this putrid excuse for a beer. Reminded me of gin and pine sol. Now that i have had a fair amount of barleywines, i know that this one just sucks. Original Rating: 1.4 If this is what all barleywines taste like, i really dont think i am going to be a fan of the style. I bought a case of this last year and sampled one from a separate six pack, and just tried one recently from this year. Unless they all were mishandled, my first impression with this beer remains the same as my final impression. I think this may be the most vile stuff i have ever tasted. Served cold, served warm ... still i thought it sucked, as did all the other people i pawned this beer off on. It definitely must be an acquired taste, one which i doubt i am going to acquire. Anyway, this beer gets points for its aroma and appearance, and nothing else from me. ...... OR maybe not all barleywines are bad and Sierra Nevada just massively overhops their stuff?

1.4
   AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Delbomber (387) - Philadelphia, USA - JUL 9, 2001
7/4/01 Maybe I got a bad batch, but this is some of the more vile beer I have ever had the misfortune of drinking. Reminded me of when my mother used to put soap in my mouth when I was a kid. I was overwhelmed by bitterness and bite. This canít be how it is supposed to taste. I am definitely going to return the case I got and give it another try. Until then... ------- UPDATE-------&# this again at slightly below room temperature. Definitely more malty than when itís cold, but still overwhelmingly bitter. I tried to like this, I just canít.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
VA Homebrewer (525) - Portsmouth, Virginia, USA - MAY 7, 2001
Very impressive beer in more ways than one. They must have used a TON of hops in the kettle and fermenter. The malt characteristic is there, but the hops are BOLD! Beautiful rich red-brown color and a hoppy aroma mixed with sweetness and slight alcohol aromas. Thick and beautiful, extremely pleasant.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Davidw987 (23) - Livermore, California, USA - MAY 1, 2001
Barely a Barley wine. SNBC has established themselves with their aggressive hopping. That is certainly true of the Bigfoot. But for me, a barley wine is all about the malt. The heavy hopping of a barley wine is simply to cut the cloying sweetness of te base malt. Bigfoot is hopped beyond that point, yet doesntí have the malt (or the corresponding alcohol) to really rate a top notch barley wine.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
scrawfis (143) - Naperville, Illinois, USA - APR 29, 2001
Tastes like their Pale Ale with tons more malt. Not like other barleywines Iíve tasted but definitely good.