overall

RATINGS: 3157   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 90   EST. CALORIES: 288   ABV: 9.6%
Gold Medal Winner, Great American Beer Festival (Ales: Brown, Bitter and Pale 1987, Barleywine 1988,1992,1995). Sierra Nevada Bigfoot is an award winning example of the English Barley Wine style. It boasts a dense, fruity bouquet; an extremely rich, intense, bittersweet palate; and a deep, reddish-brown color. This ale is superbly balanced between an almost overpowering maltiness and a wonderfully bittersweet hoppiness.

Beginning Gravity:23 Plato
Finishing Hops:Cascade & Centennial
Dry Hops:Centennial, Cascade & Chinook
Bittering Hops: Chinook
Ending Gravity:6.0 Plato
Yeast:Top Fermenting Ale Yeast
Malts:Two-row Barley Malt, English Caramel Malt, Dextrin Malt

rosebud (47) - Portsmouth, New Hampshire, USA - FEB 25, 2001
What impressed me 1st about this beer was the intense hoppiness and bitter after taste, what I look forward to in a beer. From your 1st sip this beer says ’hello!’. I can’t imagine how much better this beer get with age, I’ll have to buy a case and find out for myself (if I can hold it for that long and not drink it).

mrbeakersalesman99 (17) - USA - MAR 8, 2001

pivo (2571) - GERMANY - JAN 23, 2002
2001: ’These go to eleven’ (-Spinal Tap). Extreme (ridiculous?) amounts of hops and malt just turn up the volume with this brew. The nose is stong and floral. The intense bitter hop flavor comes through immediately, but is well supported by a rich, malt body. You can perceive the alcohol in the palate, which intensifies an already powerful taste. Not great with most foods, but a perfect dessert beer. Love this stuff because it is over the top.

HoppedHead (106) - seattle, Washington, USA - APR 11, 2002
I agree a huge hop contant doesn’t make a bad beer good, but ir makes a good beer better, atleast for my taste buds...I love thios beer because of it’s bitter, spiceness that can only be achieved with huge hop content, however the flavor of the carmel malts is still detectable, try to age one for a couple years, it mellows the hops just a bit, either way...NOTHING beats a 6-pack of these...

anticop (79) - Porterville, California, USA - JUL 22, 2002
Great smell, wonderful taste,smooth as hell good fucking beer. knock you on your ass! yep, I love this Beer.

ENTROPY (141) - Terra Bella, California, USA - JUL 19, 2002
Right as a beer can get in my book, This now my fav. beer. It reminds me of the first time I ever took a drink of sierra nevada pale ale. great mix, smooth-kickass flavor, and stamp it with a sierra nevada logo and its a winner.

benzim (36) - USA - JUL 12, 2002
Best barleywine that I’ve had. Potent, but still tastes like beer (unlike Old Foghorn...great, but more like Sherry than beer)

Waughbrew (18) - Portsmouth, Rhode Island, USA - DEC 27, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 30, 2003 oh yes, my favorite barley wine. good head retention, great aroma with some fruit and little alcohol accompanying the hops. The flavor has, in my opinion, the perfect balance of malt, alcohol, and hops. More hops than is standard for this style, but I'll certainly forgive it. One of the best beers in the world.

Ni209 (67) - Tennessee, USA - FEB 24, 2003
UPDATED: APR 15, 2003 this beer is awesome. ive started a collection of barleywines to age and this is one. best enjoyed outside in the dusk of the mountains. bitter as hell. a little bit of bottle conditioning adds to the texture. the foam lace clings to the glass like glue. bravo

Cobra (1100) - Banned City, - MAY 4, 2003
Winter 2002 batch. Upon opening, hops aroma literally clubs you over the head. Faint grassy smell also noticed. Pours out a rich amber color. A white, frothy head fades quickly, leaving some lace on sides of glass. Since this was my first experience with this beer, I have nothing to compare it with, but it is a nice beer all the same. The hops are a little over the top, however, at 100 IBU's, most any beer would be. I've been drinking this since February 2002, and I've noticed small changes in it every time I drink it. The hops are not mellowing out yet, but since I bought 8 cases to begin with, I'm sure I'll have some for years to come to compare it with the newer batches. I highly recommend this beer, but it is quite expensive as beers in general go.