overall

RATINGS: 3216   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale represents a time honored tradition of brewing a special beer for the holiday season. There are generous portions of barley malts and fine whole hops of several varieties, creating a brew with a full, rich and hearty character.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
5000 (6300) - Hardened Liver, Washington, USA - FEB 13, 2004
Bottle pours orangish-gold with a fluffy creamish colored head. † Light carbonation, ubersticky lacing. † Sweet malts, hops, and some grapefruity citrus arise from the glass. † Up front you get a semisweet malty feeling that gives way to a smooth IPA finish. † Mouthfeel is superb. † The hoppiness lingers a bit, but it isn't overbearing. † Some twang of spruce tips perhaps. † Well balanced and easy to drink. † One to enjoy every Winter season.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
haukur (1305) - Reykjavik, ICELAND - FEB 13, 2004
great floral aroma, ruby red with a beatiful white firm head. Taste is hoppy, a little spicy, hoppy with a dry bitter finish. I wish I had access to this, this is something I would buy on regular basis!! VERY nice, cheers Mike (tidiaguy)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
BigBastard (668) - L.A., California, USA - FEB 13, 2004
Lots of hops like a typical SN brew, but it was balanced by some sweet spice and toasted bread flavors. A nice easy drinking winter beer, not overly sweet.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
jtw (1098) - farmington, Michigan, USA - FEB 12, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 6, 2005 2004 - typical IPA aroma, lots of PNW hops and some grassiness as well. very balanced with the malt, and a spritzy mouthfeel. better than i remember (or perhaps just better than last yearís?)

2003 - a little bit of malt and lots of hops, some cherry in the aroma. lots of carbonation, combined with the huge bite, makes it somewhat tangy. extremely bitter finish, but fairly clean. there are better IPAs to be had.

SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - FEB 5, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 2, 2007 This is a little big for an IPA. Never disappoints. High alpha on the hop side, yet smooth and drinkable in spite of it. This should be the hopheadís everyday beer. UPDATE: Just had a bottle of Celebration from 1987 at the 2004 Crescent Moon Vintage Beer Tasting. It was flat and had lost that loviní feelin. Think before you try to age this one for 17 years. UPDATE: Just tried the 2004 tap version of Celebration. The hop bitterness is very pronounced, but the body seems a little light this year. UPDATE 2006: Quite hoppy and back to its thick palate, but Iíve been spoiled by too many awesome IPAís at this point. It is no longer a 4.2 rating for me.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
axilla (962) - New Providence, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 4, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 25, 2006 This is my favorite session beer!! Pours a clear copper color with a fluffy white head. The Nose and flavor are very piney with a bit of a citrusy hop taste. Fresh grapefruits in the finish. Re-rate 5/25/06 Iím gonna have to go and boost this rating up some. I recently went to Eulogy in Philly and saw an 96í on the menu and of coarse, ordered it. The waitress brought me an 01í which I caught before it hit the table. She apologized and told me that they were out of 96í and was told by the manger to give me this one on the house. This beer had aged so well that I really felt that it blew FFF IIPA (which I gave a 5) out of the water. I canít give this a full five because Iíve only had the one that was this good, but this still was one of the best beers Iíve had.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
hershiser2 (1227) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - FEB 2, 2004
UPDATED: NOV 4, 2004 2004 Edition: didnít care for the 2003 edition as much as I like the 2004 edition... maybe my tastes have changed, or something. Beautiful deep orange color, nice farginí head. Smells of lovely hops, grapefruit, and pine. Tastes luscious this year... 2003 edition. Paid $7.99 for a 6-pack. Great appearance: beautiful burnt orange color, with a huge, fluffy head, that retains well and laces nicely. Absolutely gorgeous!! Wonderful citrus (grapefruit) scented ipa... mmm, looking forward to tasting this. Edited: OK, so I finally finished my 6 of this, and I have to say, I really didnít enjoy this beer much at all. I donít see why thereís so much hype about it. Itís funky bitter, and leaves an almost unbearable aftertaste in my mouth. Love IPAs, but not this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
awaller05 (305) - Sharon, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 2, 2004
Excellent seasonal beer. Pours a deep amberish red and has that great hoppy smell to greet you at first smell. Would recommend letting this one warm atad in the glass and then drinking it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
SpringsLicker (3132) - Tennessee, USA - FEB 1, 2004
Thanks Rate Beer! I would have tried this ages ago, but I avoided it thinking it was some spiced up winter beer. Then I found Rate Beer and it said it was an IPA! And a very nice IPA too! This has a beautiful hazy amber color that supports a fine thick head. The aroma an flavor are well balanced providing hops and malt in abundance. Smooth with a lingering finish. I'll have another one.

HopasaurusRex (195) - Glen Ellyn, Illinois, USA - JAN 29, 2004
This is one of the best examples of an American IPA. Nice and hoppy and with enough malt to back it up. The fact that its seasonal only adds to its appeal. Although I like all of SN's beers, this is the only one that I seek out and buy consistently.