overall

RATINGS: 3226   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale represents a time honored tradition of brewing a special beer for the holiday season. There are generous portions of barley malts and fine whole hops of several varieties, creating a brew with a full, rich and hearty character.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
happy4hops (376) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - NOV 5, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 18, 2004 (bottled 10-10-03)Nice big off-white head/complementing lace/nice sediment(yeast)suspension.Smells pretty nice but not over the top hoppy.My girlfriend liked this one?I enjoyed it very much as well.The selection of hops is great and balanced(tad more malt would be nice)This one gets better as it warms.(nice grapefruit/pine resin hops.Nice moderate to full mouthfeel(full when warmer)A bit of roasted alcohol to finish w/a quick & lively hop bite.(great stuff)This reminds me of the first couple times I tried Sierra pale ale.Nice deep orange/amber color.Saved a 6'er for aging and busted one out tonight.I don't really care for this beer after 2-3 months in the bottle.It seems real oxidized for only being 5 1/2 months old.Hops are there but the aroma is trashed though the touch more of malt is there.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
hotchick (20) - Delaware, USA - NOV 4, 2003
If it wasn't for the allure of Sierra's taste and my influence your beer geek EGajdzis would not be the beer man he is today. I introduced him to this tasty treat of Sierra. It could be the beginners best beer! It has a dark orange color with a citrus hop aroma. A great hop beer with vibrant grapefruit tastes. I could possibly love this beer more than the original.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
quantum24 (32) - New York, USA - NOV 3, 2003
A very nice ipa. great light amber color with a nice white head. great hop aroma, grapefruit, pine. flavor is some malt quickly followed by a rush of hop bitterness. nice mouthfeel, with a long dry finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
bsour (78) - Boise, Idaho, USA - NOV 3, 2003
(2003 bottle) This was a good beer, but not what I expected for an IPA. Very nice amber/gold color with good head. Lacing stuck to the glass for a while. The aroma was slightly bitter with a hint of hops. Yes, only a hint. It smells like it tastes. I thought this was supposed to be a pale ale at first. Maybe a little bitter for a pale, but an IPA? After getting over that, it was a great beer. The hops were pronounced, however weak. Some citrus flavors buried in there as well. Very nice beer, but lacking for an IPA.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
AlabastorJones (805) - San Francisco, California, USA - NOV 2, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 24, 2003 ~2003~ IPA's have a lot of potential for aroma, and this one didn't really jump out at me. Amber/gold color, thin and transparent with a nice milky head. Pretty decent hop flavor, with some hints of citrus and apple. I helped this random starving artist, who i met in a strange alley of industrial Portland, move a box for his pet turtle to his house on the top of my roomates car, and in return he bought us this beer. Finish has some moderate hop taste, not a bad IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
MarkR (68) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - NOV 2, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 25, 2003 Bottle Warm, reddish-copper with perfect clarity. Tan head starts well, then fades to a strong cap. Sharp aroma of Chinook hops: pine resin and grapefruit, along with some faint caramelly malt and fruity esters. Hint of breadiness too. The flavor is quite hoppy, with that clean, piercing bitterness that screams ‘Chinook!’ The malt backbone seems thinner than year’s past, as there’s only a small suggestion of caramel and bread. Some fruity esters try to bring some complexity to the table. The hops are a bit lacking in depth, as they’re a bit one-dimensional. On the lighter side of medium in mouthfeel, with a dry, alcoholic finish. While it doesn't quite have the same character as before, it's still a solid winter seasonal.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
drinkbeer (283) - Redondo Beach, California, USA - NOV 1, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 30, 2003 Similar to the pale ale, yet hoppier. I love my hops, however, I was looking for more malt character along with some holiday flare (spices, etc.) perhaps. Who cares though. If I want that I'll drink an OSA. Slightly cloudy copper color and awesome sudsy tan head. Big piney hops up front then mild malts kick in. A great IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
NateDawg (12) - Arlington, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 1, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 5, 2003 I'm editing my last review... Upon further review, I really enjoyed this beer a lot more then next time I had it. The hops jumped out at me and the finish was pleasant and spicy. The body was robust and the mouthfeel was full and crisp. My first review was written after I had tried the beer after eating and I guess my palate were a bit cluttered...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Silphium (3173) - East Lansing, Michigan, USA - NOV 1, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 3, 2003 I consider it sacrilege to drink and rate this beer in October, but I am weak, and I fell prey to my curiosity. Poured a clear copper color, with an off-white creamy head. Pine and earthy hops aroma was somewhat harsh. Flavor was very piney and bitter with grapefruit and other citrus involved as the beer warmed. I didn't detect the sweet, cherry-like tanginess I noted in the aftertaste of the 2002 version. This year's batch could stand to rest for awhile! Still, Celebration Ale is, IMO, the best widespread beer this brewer produces. Update: I was lucky enough to find the 2000 edition today, and was amazed at how this beer has evolved. The 2000 edition was copper-colored but loaded with yeast sediment, unlike the clear 2003 version. Toast, bread, and caramel dominated the nose and the flavor. Hops were smoothed out and evident in the aftertaste, where they left a floral but only slightly bitter aftertaste. Truly a different beer when fresh.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
stubby (334) - Santee, California, USA - OCT 31, 2003
Big India style. Man, do you have to be in the mood for bitter hop flavor to drink this one. Not my favorite style but when you need the dryness of lots of hops, this one satisfies. I like the amber color and light tan head. Tastes better at 50-55 degrees.