overall

RATINGS: 3231   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale represents a time honored tradition of brewing a special beer for the holiday season. There are generous portions of barley malts and fine whole hops of several varieties, creating a brew with a full, rich and hearty character.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
pauliefrog99 (302) - FLINT, Michigan, USA - DEC 20, 2001
Strong piney aroma. Very strong hop taste throughout the beer. Left quite a stinging on the tongue. I guess if you like heavily hopped beers you will like this, if not you wonít.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Delbomber (387) - Philadelphia, USA - DEC 20, 2001
Indian-red body beneath a rocky, creamy heavily laced beige head. Clean, powerful pine aroma with notes of peat and caramel. Oppressive, astringent hop flavoring dominates the experience, overwhelming the malty richness lurking beneath. Piney, alcoholic finish leave this a rather unpleasant experience throughout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
MMM...Beer (385) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - DEC 19, 2001

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
RicktheBassAleDrinker99 (6) - USA - DEC 19, 2001 does not count
Very good beer. But it is not a Bass Ale.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Wilecat (66) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - DEC 17, 2001
I enjoyed this beer very much. Has a wonderful taste that reminds me of the christmas season. A great beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
dins (266) - Texas, USA - DEC 15, 2001
2001 Nice bit of hops, not as malty as most winter ales. Better slightly warmed than straight out of the fridge.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jstu9 (402) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 12, 2001
A hopped up beer. I guess i could have guessed this was an IPA when I had it. Itís a good beer, very good if you really like hops, but there was something missing, maybe it wasnít balanced enough.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
proc (342) - Dearborn, Michigan, USA - DEC 11, 2001
(2001) This brewery is so good at putting out, nearly macro-status beers that just are flat-out good. This years celebration poured beautifully, which a light brown head, and a dark brown to almost ruby color. A nice taste of malt at the beginning with smooth hop finish at the end. Happy Holidays! (2000) The Sierra Nevada line is flat-out, good. The Celebration Ale is a treat to pour, a bonus to look at, fun to smell, and a delight to drink!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Heat99 (56) - Austin, Texas, USA - DEC 6, 2001
(2001) I donít know what it is with Sierra Nevada and their signature hop flavors....Excellent. The second the aroma hit my nose, I said íMmmmmí (Yes...out loud). To be honest, if I had my eyes closed, I would have sworn (by aroma) it was their pale ale. The color is much darker, and the flavor a bit more full, but their Pale Ale is quite similar in hoppiness. I expected a very spicy beer as most Christmas Ales are, but instead got the wonderful hop and citrus flavors this wonderful brew had to offer. The color was copper and very clear with evident carbonation rising to the top to form a beautiful head. As I tipped the glass to drink I saw plenty of lace left on the edge, and even after leaving it sit for a while, the lace remained. I generally donít consider myself a hop-head, but when it comes to Sierra Nevada, I am. After reading PhillyBeer2112ís review of this brew, I have to say that the analogy of chewing on a lemon rind is right on...but it is balanced perfect with the sweetness. Bottom line...I WILL go pick some more of this up SOON! Way to go Sierra Nevada...you never fail to inspire me. UPDATE! After enjoying the 2001 brew that I wrote about above, I was extremely fortunate enough to run into a store having the 2000 brew. I picked up a six of it and found it to be just as great as the 2001. However, the 2000 recipe tasted a slight bit hoppier and citrusy. Excellent!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
fuchebu (146) - Croydon, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 6, 2001
A potent IPA that rarely fails to please.