overall

RATINGS: 3325   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale represents a time honored tradition of brewing a special beer for the holiday season. There are generous portions of barley malts and fine whole hops of several varieties, creating a brew with a full, rich and hearty character.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Marc (486) - Yokosuka, JAPAN - NOV 3, 2002
Classic west coast IPA nose with a little more pine. Resinous hops are not too overbearing giving way to some caramel and sweetness. Faily clean finish with some residual bitterness left behind.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
belgianhomebrew (646) - Acworth, Georgia, USA - NOV 3, 2002
2000 - Very little aroma. Body is slightly sweet but finishes surprisingly dry. A tasty brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - NOV 3, 2002
2002 - Someone finally put the hops in a winter warmer! The sweet thick malts are nicely beaten down by a strong grapefruit bitterness. A nice change from all of the other "twigs & berries" winter warmers.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
cooltunesmann99 (6) - USA - NOV 3, 2002 does not count
Sierra Nevada knows Hops! If you love dry hopped brews Sierra Nevada Celebration and Harvest ales are for you. I think they are great!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Rockinout (966) - Kent, Ohio, USA - NOV 2, 2002
2002 bottle- Fresh, floral grapefruit-lemon aroma. Dark copper color, nice and hoppy. The spicy bitter finish grows on me as I drink it. Slight lacing happening.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
igneous1 (1506) - Davenport, Iowa, USA - NOV 2, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 8, 2003 2002 batch. started out nice, color was amber with a thin white lasting head...some lacing. aroma is pretty citrusy, with a hint of pine tar. but then i tasted and picked up a distinct celery flavor. first IPA i"ve had that did this. i thought hte body was a little thin as well. have to say i"m a bit disappointed in this one...i"ll definitely try it again and rerate. rerate: color is very clear amber, nose has a slightly hoppier presence than i noticed the first time around. flavor was pretty bitter, but still not completely what i expected, although a step up from the first time i tried it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
fly (1419) - austin, Tejas, Alabama, USA - NOV 1, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 23, 2004 Ah, what a silly boy I was for thinking that this had diminished in the hop arena. I must have had my taste buds covered in plastic. Still the beer I have loved. Glad a post was made making me take a look at former rating that was far lower than I have ever held this magnificent beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
sloth (2535) - Ceciltucky, Co., Maryland, USA - NOV 1, 2002
A little better balance this year!? Still one hoppy sumbitch though! Hey thats what its all about, right? Great piney, citrusy aroma!Good head(nuthin like good head huh?!)That lasts, with good lacing, sticky.Good hop flavor! some malt detected in the background.Clean spicey bitterness.Flavors hang with you.Pretty damn beer to.Nice copper color, clear a gem to the eye.Damn nice IPA!I look forward to it every year.This,ll do.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - NOV 1, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 15, 2003 New: No. There are nice memories of this one, without any doubt. It was a great introduction to the style in 1994. But I find this now needlessly bitter and without enough other flavors to make me like it. I can name 10 others of its style I would prefer. Please note that it hurts to say this about an Eminence Gris. Old (11.02)What a great beer. Tremendous head and marvelous lacing. Big citrus hops which have the courtesy not to elbow the fine sweet malt out of the way. In my youth, I found this to be THE big beer, maybe overwhelming. I suppose my tastes have changed. Now, I view it as a great pale ale that I'd like to drink almost any time.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Nuffield (3717) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - OCT 31, 2002
2002 edition. Attractive looking beer (generous head), and a good palate. I was completely taken aback by the aroma--so unmistakeably of pink grapefruit. This was strongly present in the tasting as well, although the hopping was complex enough to draw out some other flavors and bitterness. I don’t think the whole was greater than the sum of the parts, but I liked the individual parts quite a bit.