overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 631   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
LIFE - this living ale is naturally carbonated to enhance complexity, refinement, and to encourage aging. LIMB - for the birch and maple trees, whoís syrup gives this unique ale its flavor and symbolizes the collaboration between Sierra Nevada and Dogfish Head. We are proud to share our Life and Limb with itís thousands of other branches who collectively comprise the craft brewing family tree. Sip slowly with friends and loved ones; savor long - because one could do better than be a swigger of birches.

GreatLibations (1854) - Last Supper, Arizona, USA - AUG 1, 2011
This beer is incredible. Brew pours coffee dark with a lasting creamy head. Smells of roasted coffee bean and bitter cocoa with a touch of plumb. Medium full nectar with excellent carbonation giving a velvet feel on the tongue. This brew is sublime. Superb aroma to flavor follow-through adding chocolate cake bread and a killer hop bittering component. This brew is lush and velvet at the same time. The finish is bittered heavily creating a dynamic sense of balance. It moves from bitter to lush sweetness then back over and over again. It leaves a pine laden dryness on the finish which, despite the gravity, keeps me coming back for more. I hear by Trump this brew!

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Palidor19 (2982) - Brandon, Florida, USA - SEP 10, 2011
this is has now become one of my favorite beers. its aroma is smooth rich hazelnuts and toffee. with a touch of coffee. this is a strong beer with very little alcohol flavor though its strength. the toastiness brings a nice perfect balance with the malts are dark roasted and the hops after slight pine to it. this is a must have, do not miss this

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
bobbypaulson (217) - Fergus Falls, Minnesota, USA - APR 5, 2011
I was down in Rehobeth beach for a vacation and went to the DFH brewpub almost every day. The one beer I kept coming back for was life and limb. I had to drink this out of a bottle in the brewpub because I couldnít leave with it. I tried everything to get a couple of these bottles out of the brewpub but to no avail. So I drank atleast 3 or 4 of them while I was at Rehobeth beach for the week. Every time it was the same things, as I ordered it the waitress was like, "Are you sure, you know itís a big bottle right?" oh trust me I knew and man was it worth it. So out of the 22 or 24oz little fatty bottle it Pours dark brown with a tanish head. smell is of sweet caramel and chocolate. Taste was sweet like maple syrup, and finished a little bitter malt, much like semi sweet chocolate. This beer was great, ver upset I canít get more of this beer. This is honestly one of my favorite beers.

adamaustin (38) - Louisiana, USA - SEP 29, 2011
Richly sweet taste with a strong nose. Your traditional "beer" taste is shadowed under the maple and birch!

mnurda (1149) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - DEC 24, 2011
Bottled 22 oz sample. Am sorry that I did not share this with Piscator. He would have loved it. Syrupy texture. Perfect blend of hops. A real work of art.

grunx (367) - - SEP 15, 2012
Cervesa fosca, molt vinosa i amb molt de cos. Per a menjar amb un bon tros de carn. Brutal!!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
obxdude10 (2049) - Pottstown, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 16, 2010
Fantastic beer! Had this from a 24oz bottle from the DFH brewpub. The beer pours a very dark brown color with a generous tan head. The head leaves a beautiful lacing around the sides of the glass, as well. The nose is full of complex malts, earth, bread and fruits. The body is fairly thick and demands to be sipped on. I had to do just that! In fact, it took me my entire visit to the pub to drink the 24oz bottle. The flavors are quite complex, as well, with notes of fruits, bready and earthy malts and light hops. The finish is a bit sweet and malty. All around, another fantastic beer by both brewers!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
thetmaxx (752) - West Sacramento, California, USA - AUG 22, 2011
Got a bomber from Sierra Nevada. Poured into my Dogfish head glass. Colour is dark and aroma is roasty malt. Flavour is also roasty. I also detect a bit of sourness in this. Palate is full bodied and thick. Overall this beer is fantastic!! and I really think DFH and SN getting together is really cool for the craft brew world!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Thewade (328) - USA - SEP 13, 2011
UPDATED: AUG 1, 2012 One of the best brews Iíve had this year. Maple is subtle, and other flavors hide high alcahol content. Also, good price. THey couldíve gauged us on this one. Love it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Cybercat (3420) - Georgia, USA - SEP 16, 2011
Comes out of the tap a luscious warm sable with a fairly thick and fine-bubbled light tan head that sticks around for a while. Malty aroma has strong molasses and caramel notes. Mouth-filling flavor has a malty core and caramel, nutty, molasses and earthy notes plus a hint of honey sweetness. Full-bodied texture is rather smooth and has a firm, fine tingle. Risk life and limb for this íun! ;)