overall
Serve in Weizen

RATINGS: 1470   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.58   IBU: 15   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
Kellerweis is one of the only American Hefeweizens made using the traditional Bavarian style of open fermentation. This difficult and labor-intensive technique adds uncommon depth and flavor complexity. Our hazy-golden hefeweizen is deeply flavorful, refreshing and perfect for a sunny day. To serve, pour two-thirds into a glass, swirl and pour the rest.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Kevin (2078) - New Mexico, USA - AUG 11, 2009
been enjoying this one for a bit now. honey colored with a white head. spiced clove and banana sweetness with just a bit of apple. smells like banana laffy taffy, tastes just how i expect. light sulphur, and herbal notes underneath a dominant banana sweetness. bubblegum, and finishes drier and leaves a lasting banana and clove earthy yeast flavor. well made beer that is going to keep me happy in my non airconditioned hole during the hotter days. 4 8 8 5 17

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
LtDan (1784) - Los Angeles County, California, USA - AUG 11, 2009
Appearance: Pours a pastel yellow gold, with tons of cloudy haze. Even though there is a lot of action going on in the body, the fluffy white head quickly disappears. Aroma: A little banana and a little breadiness. Nothing overwhelming, but very defined. Taste: Big mouthful of banana, a little sourish fruity twang, some clove, and finishes with some SN trademark spicy hopiness. Mouthfeel: Thick, almost chewy. Fizzy! Overall: I love this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
drfabulous (3989) - Lexington, Kentucky, USA - AUG 10, 2009
Very wheaty beer. Much better than other American versions of hefe. Banana and spice. Nice.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
RedSox2004 (1252) - Pacific Palisades, California, USA - AUG 10, 2009
Hazy golden orange with a one-finger head, good retention, and very nice lacing. Strong bready aromas with a touch of citrus and yeast. Flavors were similar, with a nice addition of spices. Sweetness yields to a slightly bitter finish. Light to medium body, lots of carbonation, and a nice soft mouthfeel.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
tgncc (2816) - Bellmore, New York, USA - AUG 9, 2009
Aroma like a true hefeweizen, done very well. The aroma is yeasty, banana, clove. The appearance is a hazy yellow, white head, true to the style. The flavor is wheat, clove, other spices, banana sweetness, The finish is spiciness, slight hop bittering. Nice mouthfeel, slightly on the thick side, smooth. Well done hefe. I was trying to determine if the beer had any similarities to kellerbier, or if the open vessel fermentation had any effect on this brew. It did not appear so. This simply comes out as a good hefeweizen.

jasonp (1555) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - AUG 9, 2009
The occasion is rare that I’m in the mood for a hefe but today was that day (94 degrees out). Pours an attractive, very cloudy yellow orange (like pale orange juice) with a white billowy head. Yeasty clove/banana nose with a touch of grass and flowers. The flavor is a delicious blend of wheat, banana, lemon/citrus, clove, bubblegum, hay, grass and herbal noble hops. Pleasantly sweet on the palate while the hop bitterness just plays a balancing role - which must’ve felt weird for Sierra Nevada. Medium body which coats the mouth very nicely; moderate carbonation. While it’s nothing mind-blowing, it just really hits the spot as the perfect drinkin’ beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
otakuden (1783) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - AUG 9, 2009
Sierra Nevada has graced us with not one but two new beers this year, although getting my hands on, much less keeping their Torpedo IIPA in stock is proving to be a feat of magic and miracles. On the other hand, their Kellerweisse Hefeweizen is much easier to find and just as delicious to sup. While I laud the Torpedo for its exuberant yummyness, I also chastise it for its lack of availability. That’s alright though; it is a temporary issue which will eventually be resolved. Hopefully. In the meantime, I am going to sup on many a 6pack of Kellerweisse Hefeweizen. Sierra Nevada finally got a wheat beer right. Even better, it’s a bottle-conditioned Hefeweizen which guarantees a longer shelf life and some maturation with age.

Clouds of orangesicle, yellow cream, and white marshmallow puffs fill my glass with rich beauty; truly a work of art. Her white head floats suspended, lazing about with nonchalant lessez-faire while I make sure to swirl the bottle dregs into my glass. The dregs WILL be mine! As I pour the last of her luscious chunky bits into my glass, a billowing bouquet of bananas, banana cream, banana bread warm from the oven with nuts aromatizing the air while spices and clove tease my senses. Amazingly smooth, creamy, and bursting with all the hefeweizen esters I love so much. A touch of toasted meringue and I am on to quaffing bliss. Just as her nose promised, the mouthfeel is also smooth, creamy, and boldly going where many beers before her have gone. Gliding over my tastebuds, banana cream lays next to banana pudding while I slice into a huge chunk of warm banana nut bread exuding cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove. Real butter is really good so of course I slather a generous amount over my banana bread which melts into the Kellerweisse Hefeweizen’s gorgeous palate. My breath is warm with clove and spice while toasted nuts lightly dry my palate just in time for another generous quaff. She is gentle as silk, belying her lightly chewy mouthfeel. As she grows just a touch drier, the palate evolves from banana bread warm from the oven to dry banana bread mix. Exquisite balance. Each quaff is traced by beautifully creamy lace and far sooner than expected, my glass is empty. Good thing I have more in my fridge because I feel a second coming.

German Hefeweizens are a love-hate relationship for many. I, of course, fall amongst the love ‘em camp. Great year round, they especially shine in the warmer muggy months where the sun shows no mercy and the skies are an endless deep blue sea. Excellent job, Sierra Nevada. A true German-style Hefeweizen, she is a proud new addition to a long established family of good beers.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Cletus (6354) - Connecticut, USA - AUG 9, 2009
Pours a hazy amber with a white head. Smells of sweet wheat, some coriander, spicy. Tastes sweet with corinder, ginger and some clove showing up on the finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
HomeBrewHawk (464) - De Soto, Kansas, USA - AUG 9, 2009
12oz. brown bottle served in a shaker pint. Poured a cloudy, pale gold with a big white head. Plenty of carbonation which is typical of the style. Spicy aroma with more clove than banana, which is how I prefer a hefe. Light to medium body. More banana in the flavor and some wheaty spice. They really nailed the creamy mouthfeel that you typically only get in a German Hefe. Seems to be some noble hops in there. Dry finish. One of the best American takes on Hefe.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
stubby (334) - Santee, California, USA - AUG 8, 2009
I can’t imagine a much better Hefeweizen. True to continental styles, and hopped and a tolerable level: I’m impressed! Very good hefe with spicy aroma and wheaty goodness in the flavor. Complex and refreshing.