overall

RATINGS: 4067   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   IBU: 37   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Available in bottles. Special draft of this beer is available only at the brewery!
Draft SNPA at all other locations is a different recipe and is listed separately.
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a delightful example of the classic pale ale style. It has a deep amber color and a exceptionally full-bodied, complex character. The fragrant bouquet and spicy flavor are the results of the generous use of the best Cascade hops.<P> Bottle Conditioned.
IBUs: 37
Bittering Hops: Magnum & Perle
Finishing Hops: Cascade
Malts: Two-row Pale & Caramel

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
SpringsLicker (3131) - Tennessee, USA - JAN 12, 2004
It is easy to see why this is a benchmark beer. It's high quality, assertiveness, and ready availability have made it the beer that is "American Pale Ale". It's simplicity is classic, yet refined. A beer that is good to come back to from time to time with never any regrets.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
bu11zeye (11942) - Frisco (Dallas), Texas, USA - JAN 11, 2004
(Bottle) Pours an amber color with a medium-sized white head. A slightly above average APA, weak on hoppy flavor.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
elsberry (87) - North Carolina, USA - JAN 10, 2004
Nice amber pour, with a nice aroma. Almost like a malty IPA, but not quite there. Much better on tap (remarkably so). A bitter taste that can become overbearing if you drink too much. It's a very fine example of the APA.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
yupnc (2) - Arden, North Carolina, USA - JAN 8, 2004 does not count
Certainly, not the best beer on the planet - but it will never do you wrong. This beer is always fresh and tasty.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
steview (1019) - San Francisco, California, USA - JAN 8, 2004
it has a nice and tight white head that loves to lounge. pale gold body, fizzy - tiny bubbles. weak aroma, but refreshing and hoppy. it has a nice bitter bite with minimal malt backing that comes with a shy yet juicy citrus punch. it's crisp and reminiscent of herbal tea. it's nothing anywhere near a miracle and nowhere deep in complexity, but it's damn drinkable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
Enniskillen (2029) - Salinas, California, USA - JAN 7, 2004
I didn't care much for this beer, had it on tap, bitter. Didn't finish. Most people I know really like this beer, but I'll pass next time. The other options for me on tap were Coors Light, and Bud Light, so this was the obvious choice.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
willblake (2652) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - JAN 6, 2004
To me, this beer is forcibly hoppy and anything but "full-bodied" or "complex" as the brewer claims. One nice thing is that it is always fresh, I suppose, because everyone and their momma drinks the stuff. I find it too bitter and unbalanced. Not a very pleasant or refreshing beer unless it is quite cold and poured on my head on a hot day. I could think of a more than a few other APAs from the west I'd rather drink, like Blue Heron, Anchor Liberty, or Mirror Pond that are just as available and inexpensive.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cashazza (217) - Morganville, Maryland, USA - JAN 5, 2004
Like other beers from this brewery, hops are definitely present...hallelujah! Amber-colored, decent head, and a citrus-y flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
RobBestwick (587) - Calgary, Alberta, CANADA - JAN 4, 2004
fresh highly hopped aroma, pours with a copper hue and frothy head, highly hopped with a firm body, very bitter finish, a fine APA.

1.4
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
DatFlycat (12) - Los Gatos, California, USA - JAN 3, 2004
One confession straight-away...I loathe the Pale Ale. As such my review is appropriate. I find this beer to be the #1 most overrated beer on the market. I've tried over and over and over to acquire its taste, each time failing. I cannot stomach the bitterness. All hops no malt. I take the blame for such a contrarian review...I obviously must be to blame here. I'm the metaphorical mobile home in the tornado of glowing praise (an all-too-appropriate analogy for many of you, I presume).