overall

RATINGS: 4489   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63/5   IBU: 37   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Available in bottles. Special draft of this beer is available only at the brewery!
Draft SNPA at all other locations is a different recipe and is listed separately.
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a delightful example of the classic pale ale style. It has a deep amber color and a exceptionally full-bodied, complex character. The fragrant bouquet and spicy flavor are the results of the generous use of the best Cascade hops.<P> Bottle Conditioned.
IBUs: 37
Bittering Hops: Magnum & Perle
Finishing Hops: Cascade
Malts: Two-row Pale & Caramel

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Gmku (298) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - JUN 9, 2005
Another of my standard go-to brews. Inspiration for my venture into homebrewing. Great summer session beer. Itís very basic but very well made, and fantastically refreshing and infiinitely satisfying/quenching.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
OldStyleCubFan (77) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - JUN 5, 2005
Itís the beer that got me into brewing and craft beers. Between the lots at dead shows in the 90s and living in SC/NC (states with less than 6% ABV caps) it was always easy to find and very enjoyable. I always seem to have a SNPA in my beer fridge. Itís THE gateway to craft beer world.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
henry3r (586) - Wichita, Kansas, USA - JUN 5, 2005
Despite being bottle conditioned, this beer poured a beautiful clear amber color with a small white rocky head. Unfortunately the head completely disappeared in a short time leaving no lacing. The aroma had a nice balance of malt and hops. There were hints of bread, and grass. It had a medium body with an oily texture and lively carbonation. The finish was bitter, almost astringent and long lasting. The flavors too were nicely balanced between malt sweetness and hop bitterness. There were hints of grapefruit and resin in the middle as well.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
SayNoToCoors (65) - Wheat Ridge, Colorado, USA - JUN 3, 2005
This is one of my favorite fall-back session brews. It pours a slightly hazed medium-bodied copper color and presents a good head that sticks around nicely. The taste is good and a bit hoppy, especially for an APA. This beer tastes like it has very good quality water. It is very clean, crisp and refreshing... I love the bottle design too for some reason!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
KariCupcake (214) - Lenox, Massachusetts, USA - JUN 2, 2005
I guess Iím not a fan of the hoppy stuff, this included. Cloudy copper color with some of that hoppy stuff in there. Eh.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Stew41 (1888) - Phuket, THAILAND - MAY 31, 2005
For once Iíve drunk a beer that could have been a touch colder. Circumstances dictated consumption straight from the bottle so I didnít get a great look at the colour and nose. Hard to fault the taste; medium weight with a nice lick of hops and well balanced malts hit the mouth early. Quite a broad soft finish for the style. Interesttingly this APA stood out early in my recent US trip but sorta fell back to the pack as I progressively made my way east. Still, for what seems to be a high production beer this is impressive.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
caledonian (367) - Surrey, British Columbia, CANADA - MAY 31, 2005
Slightly hazy. Not much of a head. Faint sweet and sour flavor aspect. Decent and drinkable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
alaskanwarren (286) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 30, 2005
This is a great pale. A lot of pales i taste just dont have the punch I expect when I think Pale. Good citrus and pine in the aroma and the flavor has hints of grapefruit and some nice malt balance. Appearance was the only disappointing factor as I didnít see much head. Still, itís very good beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
KUEric (922) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - MAY 28, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 24, 2010 Bottle: Out a bar, so straight from the bottle...so my appearance and aroma ratings are a little skewed, but I will rerate soon. The aroma was minimal, but like I said this is from the bottle itself. Iíve had it before I got into rating and enjoying good beers and the appearance was very good from distant recolection. The palate was very good, it had an excellent mouth feel that was smooth and cool on the tounge. Flavor was definitly hoppy, but not sure it was as potent as many claim it is. I felt it lacked maltyness and also carbonation for my particular taste (I like carbonation). Iíve had it again and again, and it continues to grow on me.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Gurst (338) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - MAY 26, 2005
Though Iím not a fan of hop-heavy beers, Sierra Nevada is just about at my hop threshold. Hoppy enough to really show off that taste, but not obscenely so that makes the taste to strong and obnoxious. Full bodied tastes of sweet malt and sweetíníspicy hops that are robust, but lack in complexity. A very clean tasting, crisp beer!