overall

RATINGS: 4081   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   IBU: 37   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Available in bottles. Special draft of this beer is available only at the brewery!
Draft SNPA at all other locations is a different recipe and is listed separately.
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a delightful example of the classic pale ale style. It has a deep amber color and a exceptionally full-bodied, complex character. The fragrant bouquet and spicy flavor are the results of the generous use of the best Cascade hops.<P> Bottle Conditioned.
IBUs: 37
Bittering Hops: Magnum & Perle
Finishing Hops: Cascade
Malts: Two-row Pale & Caramel

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
willblake (2653) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - JAN 6, 2004
To me, this beer is forcibly hoppy and anything but "full-bodied" or "complex" as the brewer claims. One nice thing is that it is always fresh, I suppose, because everyone and their momma drinks the stuff. I find it too bitter and unbalanced. Not a very pleasant or refreshing beer unless it is quite cold and poured on my head on a hot day. I could think of a more than a few other APAs from the west I'd rather drink, like Blue Heron, Anchor Liberty, or Mirror Pond that are just as available and inexpensive.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Cashazza (217) - Morganville, Maryland, USA - JAN 5, 2004
Like other beers from this brewery, hops are definitely present...hallelujah! Amber-colored, decent head, and a citrus-y flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
RobBestwick (588) - Calgary, Alberta, CANADA - JAN 4, 2004
fresh highly hopped aroma, pours with a copper hue and frothy head, highly hopped with a firm body, very bitter finish, a fine APA.

1.4
   AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
DatFlycat (12) - Los Gatos, California, USA - JAN 3, 2004
One confession straight-away...I loathe the Pale Ale. As such my review is appropriate. I find this beer to be the #1 most overrated beer on the market. I've tried over and over and over to acquire its taste, each time failing. I cannot stomach the bitterness. All hops no malt. I take the blame for such a contrarian review...I obviously must be to blame here. I'm the metaphorical mobile home in the tornado of glowing praise (an all-too-appropriate analogy for many of you, I presume).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
johndoughty (3994) - cheslyn hay, West Midlands, ENGLAND - DEC 31, 2003
An amber flavoured pale ale with wonderful citrus and bitter flavours floating around.Very refreshing hoppy taste that would make it a great summers drink althoughI tried it in December and it was still lovely.A complex and dangerously drinkable beer, nearly but not quite as good as my all time favourite,Anchor Liberty Ale.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
scoobyluv (504) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - DEC 29, 2003
nice golden color. pungent and pleasant smell of hops. finishes with a nice bitter aftertaste. not the best ipa but not bad. i give it 1.5 thumbs up

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
invalid (302) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 27, 2003
This is the beer that got me hooked. Nice floral hop nose, sweet malt balanced with bitter hop finish. Great Pale Ale - this will always be the standard I judge other American Pale Ales.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
billk (353) - Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, USA - DEC 26, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 23, 2005 Bottle. This pale ale is on my don’t list. Rather unremarkable, flat, buffered, commercial, mass produced flavor. It is however, dry and somewhat bitter. Also cheap. Available everywhere though. Can’t hold a candle to some of the better Oregon APAs including the weak Full Sail pale ale. 10/5/04: Seeing this stuff get slammed makes me happy as hell. I just dropped it from 2.5 to 2.1. I had it much lower once but raised it after all the flack I caught. 10/25/04: had a 12 ozer and it still sucks. 7/23/05: I purposely rated this below what it really deserves just to piss you SNPA fanatics the f*ck off.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Radek Kliber (6491) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - DEC 25, 2003
This pale ale is fairly simple in build. Yet in simplicity success is hidden. Texture, body and just right aftertaste made this beer great.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
EdPaulsen (117) - Rochester, New York, USA - DEC 25, 2003
better than most. one of the defining cascadey hopped american pale ales. when it warms, or when you've tasted a few before, you can see past the hops and enjoy this nice beer