overall

RATINGS: 4007   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   IBU: 37   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Available in bottles. Special draft of this beer is available only at the brewery!
Draft SNPA at all other locations is a different recipe and is listed separately.
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a delightful example of the classic pale ale style. It has a deep amber color and a exceptionally full-bodied, complex character. The fragrant bouquet and spicy flavor are the results of the generous use of the best Cascade hops.<P> Bottle Conditioned.
IBUs: 37
Bittering Hops: Magnum & Perle
Finishing Hops: Cascade
Malts: Two-row Pale & Caramel

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
faulstich (25) - Davis, California, USA - OCT 22, 2002
Great on tap, good from the bottle. Practically flat sometimes, though. Flavorful. In Northern California you can find it everywhere.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SlamminScott (40) - USA - OCT 21, 2002
Has a great flavor, kind of a citrus taste. An excellent beer to drink outside on a warm summer night. Would definitely buy again!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
daalamar (405) - new albany, Indiana, USA - OCT 17, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 21, 2006 I was dissapointed with this beer, Poured out a lazy light amber with a small head. I must have missed the complexity because all I noticed was a grapefruit base with a hoppy finish. By far not the best pale ale I have had and not one I will look for again. Re Rate 3/21/06 I have to re rate this. It’s one of my first ratings and truely an injustice. The initial descriptors still stand that hops dominate but it is a quality beer and one of my go to brews.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mrkimchee (1414) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 14, 2002
golden with well retained off white head. pine, citrus, and slight yeast aroma. mild fruity malt. more pine and big grapefruit in the long lasting hoppy finish. very tasty pale ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
SpaceMonkey (182) - San Diego, California, USA - OCT 13, 2002
It starts off with a sweet and sour smell that has a slightly lemon overone and pours with a very deep gold hue. The abundant solid white head starts off thick, lazily hangs on the glass and finishes with a light spidery slick. The flavor kicks off with a unique sweet lemon and sour blend that fades into a bitter hop finish. A classic that always hangs around.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
kyzr (1147) - Belgrade, Montana, USA - OCT 13, 2002
Like many before me, this is a great beer that is almost always in the cooler. Great hop flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Allseeingeye (223) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - OCT 13, 2002
Pretty full bodied for a pale ale. Very drinkable session beer. Love the kraussening.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
jpfrog (130) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - OCT 5, 2002
I love this beer. I even just brewed a clone of this beer I love it so much. The overpowering hops through dry-hopping gives it its spectacular taste. Sure it may be a little thin, but a meal in a beer is not always a good thing. You have to try this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beerguy101 (5277) - Newark, California, USA - OCT 2, 2002
Medium gold color, medium head. Mild malts and hops. A hoppy, slightly malty pale ale. Full flavor. Good balance of hops to malts. Mouthfeel is smooth. Finish is crisp and clean. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. The classic Pale ale.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - OCT 1, 2002
UPDATED: APR 29, 2003 I have decided that this needs to be my 100th rating (I can't believe I haven't rated it yet). I remember 10 years ago actually having a tough time finding this gem in bars and packies. It is now ubiquitous and I think our country is better for it. This has a yeastiness I adore, a malt complexity which is remarkable in so light an ale and a Cascade hop bouquet that makes me weep with joy. The palate is a marvel. Thank God for the advent of this ale.