overall

RATINGS: 3943   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   IBU: 37   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Available in bottles. Special draft of this beer is available only at the brewery!
Draft SNPA at all other locations is a different recipe and is listed separately.
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a delightful example of the classic pale ale style. It has a deep amber color and a exceptionally full-bodied, complex character. The fragrant bouquet and spicy flavor are the results of the generous use of the best Cascade hops.<P> Bottle Conditioned.
IBUs: 37
Bittering Hops: Magnum & Perle
Finishing Hops: Cascade
Malts: Two-row Pale & Caramel

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 14/20
loweredsixth (946) - Clovis, California, USA - JUL 12, 2002
Nice beer. I tasted citrus (grapefruit maybe) and alot of hops. The finish was very clean and dry. The aroma did not catch my interest, but the taste was great.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jaymobrown (1617) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 10, 2002
Fairly clear, watery and thin. No real taste, but high on carbination. Little taste of any hops - an average pale ale at best. An easy beer to drink, but no real character.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
beerlovinman99 (124) - USA - JUL 9, 2002
I find this a little thin for a pale ale - but then again, I love Summit. Tastewise, it’s really excellent and has an great aftertaste. And it looks gorgeous!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
olympian (107) - USA - JUL 9, 2002
The great American Pale! Magnificent blend of hop bitterness with a distinctive malt . Absolutely a permanent resident on my ’Top10’ list. I love Bass, but this is even better - okay, a LOT better!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
ClarkVV (3863) - Allston, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 9, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 13, 2007 Wow, what to say about this one. Loads of fresh hops, none of that hop extract/hop pellets and it shows. Very bitter, exceptionally so for this style, but still manages to pull off a close to full bodied, round flavor. True the hops outdo the malt, but I enjoy that, and this beer was very original for its time. I have this beer periodically and though I am not blown away by it like I was the first time I tried it, I still find it to be just as good. I am still finding nuances about this beer that I didnt taste the first time i had it. I really enjoy the yeasty character towards the finish, this adds some more depth to the beer. It deserves all of the praise it gets, and I feel people giving it low ratings need to look at it again and consider if they are being cynical. 8/5/8/5/19

Rerate Well I figured it was time to just buy a bottle and start over with a fresh rating. Pour is golden-straw, light hints of rust, foamy white head, small bubbles, good retention and lacing. Aroma has notes of soft woody underbrush, faint hints of only moderately bitter grapefruit, some drying floral notes and a bit of spice and perfume. Flavor is full of pale malt, light hints of toasty caramel, and a mix of lightly herbal hops, green tea, some soft citrus, dry tangerine and a little woodiness. A faint hint of astringency detracts somewhat but it remains a well-made ale, IMHO, with nowhere near the flavor force of some modern APAs, but still flavorful and quenching, quality without force; finesse if you will. Balance is towards the hops, and that’s fine, it’s still got enough malt, I think. Low filtration gives a bit of yeast flavor that adds good depth. I still love this stuff. The rating above is for this experience.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
cckevin (38) - Terre Haute, Indiana, USA - JUL 8, 2002
Hoppy, Hoppy, Hoppy! I love Sierra Nevada’s hoppiness...This is a great summer brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
MartinT (7523) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 7, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 18, 2004 Extremely refreshing grapefruit, lemon and orange hops perfuming great crunchy malt cookies…Strange cheesy leaves and hop flowers…Summer in the mountains…

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Pjones6738 (500) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 6, 2002
Not much to be said that hasn’t been said already. Might have the best aftertaste of any beer I’ve tried.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
herbjones (742) - Orange, California, USA - JUL 6, 2002
This is the one that set off the hop crazy pale ale race. Hops hops hops. Not a fan of the hop it till it smells like a Humboldt forest in fall but you got to give them credit for being among the first.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - JUL 5, 2002
2001:The best American Pale Ale? I don’t know, but there certainly aren’t many that are better. Beautiful clear, deep amber color -- gemlike, almost, with a wisp of foam that stays with it to the bottom of the glass (I had this on tap, by the way). Floral, hoppy aroma that could be a bit stronger; beautifully balanced hop/sweet/grain flavor with a finish just a bit on the edgy side for me. Very solid brew, overall. Been a while since I’ve had the porter & stout, so off I go... July 2002: holds up surprisingly well after a couple hundred more beers tried; but I just can’t give it that ’gemlike’ point on appearance, and I think overall its perhaps a little less character-full than a great beer should be. Quite good, for sure, but there are some better.