overall

RATINGS: 4126   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   IBU: 37   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Available in bottles. Special draft of this beer is available only at the brewery!
Draft SNPA at all other locations is a different recipe and is listed separately.
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a delightful example of the classic pale ale style. It has a deep amber color and a exceptionally full-bodied, complex character. The fragrant bouquet and spicy flavor are the results of the generous use of the best Cascade hops.<P> Bottle Conditioned.
IBUs: 37
Bittering Hops: Magnum & Perle
Finishing Hops: Cascade
Malts: Two-row Pale & Caramel

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
notalush (4962) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 1, 2003
This is a pretty darn good pale ale. It has a pleasant, floral hop aroma. There's a pretty good balance between the hops and malts, and the body is substantial for a pale ale. This is is golden in color, not amber as the description suggests. Pretty impressive.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
beerbumble (42) - Reno, Nevada, USA - JAN 30, 2003
The tastiest Pale Ale I have ever had. One of my long time favorite beers. Perfect Pale Ale color. Good amount of head.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
greco (41) - Zeeland, Michigan, USA - JAN 30, 2003
On tap. Your basic APA. Color isn't very impressive. Nose is light and unimpressive. Smooth. I'm not sure about full-bodied but it is a better beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
RaginCajun (320) - Houston, Texas, USA - JAN 29, 2003
UPDATED: JAN 23, 2004 Not really a "deep amber", has a twinge of yellow in there and is rather cloudy. Quickly diminishing head. Aroma is slightly fruity and intriguing. While I wouldn't quite call this a "full-bodied" brew, it does have several characteristics I can pick out. It's always bitter, with malt coming through as well as a citrus flavor here and there. I've really grown into this beer the more and more I drink it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Wiseblood (700) - Clarksville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 26, 2003
Deep gold with a copper glow. Medium body with notes of toasted grains and dried herbs. Very good malt flavor with crisp bitter finish.

redlem (1301) - Ohio, USA - JAN 25, 2003
UPDATED: OCT 6, 2007 Not my favorite pale ale. Initially the fruitiness of the aroma and flavor work. Then the overwhelming bitterness takes over for an unsatisfying finish. Overrated brewery.5/3/5/2/10. Re-rate: 8/4/8/4/17. Wow what a bad early rating. This is one of my favorite beers. Great balance of hops and malts. Crisp, clean, refreshing. Outstanding.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Eyedrinkale (3213) - Astoria, New York, USA - JAN 25, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 8, 2006 What can I say about this ale that hasnít been said already? Nice & hoppy for a pale ale. I need to sit down with this stuff again.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
YnotABeer (96) - Missouri, USA - JAN 24, 2003
Initially great; rich, smooth, hops are good, nice carbonation and head (although it doesnít last long but some lingers on sides); but a little to much aftertaste on my throat because I'm tasting too much alcohol and hops. Very worthwhile though; grows on you.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
NeonLX (261) - Wisconsin, USA - JAN 24, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 12, 2007 ON RERATE: Just tried another bottle and this time, I got a lot more hop flavoring than the first tasting. And thereís some wonderful "grapefruit" overtones going on in there that I hadnít detected in the first bottle. I had to bump my ratings up a bit as a result.

ORIGINAL COMMENTS: Another gift from my wife (who doesnít drink beer herself--go figure). Poured this into my ale glass and it looked purty--light amber with a decent head that slowly gave way but never completely disappeared. Mmmm, smells nice--hints of hops to come. Yup, the taste is hoppy at the beginning, middle and end with just a bit of maltiness. I didnít think the palate was quite as smooth as my current favorite APA, City Pale Ale, but this is only a minor quibble with a very tasty brew. Iíll have another, please...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
666seth (222) - California, USA - JAN 24, 2003
Amber in color, very nice hoppy (cascade) nose. flavor full of malts and hops yet refreshing.