overall

RATINGS: 4555   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62/5   IBU: 37   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Available in bottles. Special draft of this beer is available only at the brewery!
Draft SNPA at all other locations is a different recipe and is listed separately.
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a delightful example of the classic pale ale style. It has a deep amber color and a exceptionally full-bodied, complex character. The fragrant bouquet and spicy flavor are the results of the generous use of the best Cascade hops.<P> Bottle Conditioned.
IBUs: 37
Bittering Hops: Magnum & Perle
Finishing Hops: Cascade
Malts: Two-row Pale & Caramel

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Zeswaft (1641) - Seattle, Washington, USA - FEB 8, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 5, 2006 Nice hoppy aroma. Pours a kind of opaque copper color. Just the right amount of hop bitterness. Probably my favorite pale ale. (Rerate) I respect what this beer has done for me over the years but itís too inconsistant in a bottle and always tastes grassier. Still a solid beer all around and a good stand-by.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
skaughty (652) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - FEB 8, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 9, 2004 Re-rate She pours golden, smooth and hoppy. Buttery biscuit in the flavor. Bitter finish "cascades" over a loooooong time. This really is a standard-bearer. There is nothing overdone here - a great compliment to any chicken dish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Duke (117) - New York, USA - FEB 6, 2004
UPDATED: MAR 15, 2004 Nice creamy white head. Smell the hops for sure. Very bitter finish, but good. Crisp clean palate. Lots of yeast "floaties". Good but I expected more.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
MrBeer (276) - Erie, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 6, 2004
Wow! I finally got to have some of these and all I can say is wow. This is a very good beer probably one of the best I have had so far. Has a sourlike bitter taste to it but its a good taste. Goes down very smooth and has a great aftertaste. I recommend this to all who like to enjoy great beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Sully (1380) - Potts Point, New South Wales, AUSTRALIA - FEB 5, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 2, 2004 I guess this should be one of those milestone beers. But I rate em as I taste em. So, I finally get to try one of the beers that 700 people consider to be a benchmark ale. This one is costing me $38, thankfully that is Hong Kong Dollars so it is only AUD6.33/USD4.87. I suppose that is what a six-pack costs over there. The bar staff just offered this to me in the bottle and so after my request for a glass they gave me a Chimay glass. OK, all the better to smell you with my dear. I love the colour, a great deep hue of copper. The nose is delicately spicy with a hint of toffee. The flavour and mouthfeel is also a delight with the right balance of all that is good in a beer. Yep, gimmee a ton of this stuff.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
fly (1461) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - FEB 4, 2004
Think I've had one or two of these. That is one or two times my own body weight. Or more. This is easily a standard and one I use to base interpretations of other pale ale efforts. Hopping standards have gone through the roof, but this was once deemed to be hoppy, my friend. My rating may not be through the roof, but my respect for what Sierra Nevada had done will never die.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Accaris (21) - Athens, Georgia, USA - FEB 4, 2004
Finally got around to trying this somewhat legendary brew. It lived up to my expectations, which luckily weren't very high to begin with. Pleasant amber color. A zesty hop taste finishes off a bit bitter. Light and refreshing; a good ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Kasteelfreak (341) - Fallbrook, California, USA - FEB 2, 2004
Yellowish-gold color. Aroma smells like beer that you spill on your shirt and don't rinse it off for a while. Stale I guess? Taste is malty with with a touch of sweetness. Aftertaste is musty bitter.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
hershiser2 (2007) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - FEB 1, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 13, 2005 Nice amber color... I do like the way beers this shade of amber look... Not much of a smell... oh well. Nice smooth, floral taste, but not great. After seeing how many people really like this one, I felt disappointed. Itís drinkable... but really, there are better beers out there.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
changxao (104) - South Carolina, USA - JAN 30, 2004
Champagne like pour and head. Aroma is more in line with typical pale ales. Flavour is light with hints of fruit. Decent but bubbly palate, with nice finish. Yeast deposit on the bottom of the bottle, so pour into a glass.