overall

RATINGS: 4142   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   IBU: 37   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Available in bottles. Special draft of this beer is available only at the brewery!
Draft SNPA at all other locations is a different recipe and is listed separately.
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a delightful example of the classic pale ale style. It has a deep amber color and a exceptionally full-bodied, complex character. The fragrant bouquet and spicy flavor are the results of the generous use of the best Cascade hops.<P> Bottle Conditioned.
IBUs: 37
Bittering Hops: Magnum & Perle
Finishing Hops: Cascade
Malts: Two-row Pale & Caramel

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
beerslayer (753) - New Jersey, USA - AUG 5, 2002
Not a bad pale ale I have had better. But the beer goes down well. It has a nice fruity bitter taste to it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
TheBeerGod (5337) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - AUG 5, 2002
Not bad considering itís use of Cascade hops. Bitter but not overwhelming, but not a very pleasing aftertaste, thanks to the Cascade hops. Not the best, but not the worst either. It tasted OK cold with a sub and was free.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - AUG 3, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 6, 2004 On tap: This is the first time that I've had Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on tap since I've joined RateBeer. In the bar I wrote down my ratings and now that I'm looking at my first rating, I see that all the numbers are unchanged. Nice! First rating: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is great. The best hoppy pale ale for the money. I wish more beers were bottle conditioned.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
djbuddha (90) - Many, Louisiana, USA - AUG 3, 2002
I had it on tap, but thought it was a very good looking, tasteful beer. Iíll definately be drinking it again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Inveigler (371) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - AUG 1, 2002
Like a constant companion, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is always there for me. Easy to find in grocery stores and in many restaurants, this beer has become one of my favorite pales. Deep reddish color and a little maltier than most pale ales. Fantastic hops character balances out the malt. This is a hopped beer for all seasons and occasions. I would drink it in a boat, I would drink it in a moat ...

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
TheBeerCollector (633) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - JUL 28, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 7, 2004 I gave this one another try and was quite impressed. Good hoppiness but not overbearing. Refreshing and easy to drink. This is my favorite session ale.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
jpknight22 (171) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - JUL 28, 2002
Hmmm, maybe the keg was getting kinda skunky, but I tried this beer on tap one time and was not impressed. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale has a long ways to go before it reaches a the quality of an ale such as Newcastle. The initial taste reminded me a lot of battery acid, and suprisingly enough, so did the finish. I simply did not like this beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Gunshy (479) - Ohio, USA - JUL 27, 2002
This beer poured a golden amber color and formed a small white head that didnít hold and left little lace. Some carbonation present. If had an aroma of hops with a slight bit of citrus. The flavor was of hops with some malt. A bit of citrus aspect. The finish was slightly sweet/citrus with a bit of a bite. A good beer, but I find the local pale ales on tap to be better as well as some others I had.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
007lund (92) - Ann Arbor, USA - JUL 27, 2002
A good pale ale, if you donít mind the malt overpowering the beer. Tastes very floral, almost too much.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Aurelius (4371) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JUL 26, 2002
Mild, but menacing, hops on top a dream-cicle (orange and vanilla) aroma. Dominant dry-hop flavor, with some vanilla. Pale orange. Keep this on the front of the tongue, because the bitter really builds if you let it get onto the sides and back of the tongue. I know that people like this, but itís a ham-handed ode to Cascades hops -- thatís done much better by Anchor.