overall

RATINGS: 1389   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.67   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 58   EST. CALORIES: 198   ABV: 6.6%
Ruthless IPA is brewed with this rustic grain for refined flavors – combining the peppery spice of rye and the bright citrusy flavors of whole-cone hops to create a complex ale for the tumultuous transition to Spring.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Daytonbeer (582) - Ohio, USA - FEB 11, 2012
Pours copper with off white head. Very nice lacing. The aroma is powerful and hit my nose hard. Pine, rye, citrus, and some floral all spun together. Very nice. Taste is very bitter, especially up front. Beyond the bitter hops, there is carmel, rye, bread, and alcohol. Alittle syrupy, but not too sticky. Surprisingly good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Slipstream (1932) - USA - FEB 11, 2012
Pleasant, meadowy floral aroma. Starts out slightly sweet, then finishes with a dry rye coda. Nice.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
IPAaDay (5) - USA - FEB 10, 2012 does not count
Finish reminds me of Widmer’s Drifter pale ale a bit... so I reckon SN achieved their stated goal--a spring IPA. It doesn’t taste like everything else and for that I appreciate it...but I’d choose something else to drink everyday.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
rader58 (763) - Leawood, Kansas, USA - FEB 10, 2012
12 oz bottle. Pours a clear copper color. Aroma of rye bread, citrus, pine, caramel. Flavor is rye, citrus, pepper, resin. Quite bitter upfront with a mellow middle and a dry finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
mcmisko (350) - New York, USA - FEB 10, 2012
Pours copper with an off white head, some lacing. Smells floral, citrus, and some pine. Taste like caramel malts and a lot of hops, piney flavors as well. Mouth feel if pretty thick, after taste is dry. This is a solid well balanced brew.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
BBB63 (5745) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - FEB 10, 2012
Bottle and served in my ye olde SN pint glass (this is my third bottle so I guess I should rate this now...) : Pours a clean coppery hue with a rocky frothy head and okay lace. The aroma has notes of PNW piney, citric, dank and peppery hop esters along with some rye bread, biscuit, and slight lactic presence. The taste is much more straight forward DIPA than a rye beer, heavy on the citric twang and pine needles. Very earthy and slightly metallic along with a punch of pepper and clove. The rye does make an appearance towards the finish but do not expect the flavor profile of a herbal beer here... this is all about the hops. The mouth feel is sprite and aggressive, a tad metallic and boozy. Perhaps too much to be something I would want to drink more than one of in a session. Overall I like this brew but do wish the rye component was more forceful and I do wish this showed less of that "SN yeast profile". That said, my other three bottles will not be going to waste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
emacgee (3875) - Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA - FEB 10, 2012
Pours crystal clean orange copper with two fingers of dense creamy eggshell white head, excellent retention. Nose is peppery and spicy with some citrus zest and fresh cut grass, light malt sweetness. Straight forward flavor, very dry and spicy with a light malt balance. Too dry/bitter for my tastes. Light body....

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
SabreSkull (54) - North Augusta, South Carolina, USA - FEB 10, 2012
bottle poured into chilly tumbler. creamy pillows of foam, chunky lacing. grassy aroma. dark red to brown. medium bitter hops and umami. medium oily cream and nice bitter finish. overall a good value and eminently quaffable. $15 for a box of 12 bottles at NA Beverage.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
fraternie (806) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - FEB 9, 2012
A deep, malty style, with subtle citrus flavors overpowered by bread notes, caramel, spices and finishing with a blast of hops. Ends with some rough-edged bitterness through the finish and would like to see more fruit flavors, but it gets the job done.

0.9
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 2/20
MoneyDragon (13) - Delaware, USA - FEB 9, 2012
Pours a Copper almost Red color. Head was off white and foamy. To the nose it was lacking as well as to the palate. I am sorry that I am giving this beer such a low rating but I had such Higher standards for Sierra than this. This beer fell well short of the mark for what I consider to be a good American IPA.. The only thing that really stood out to me was the lingering dryness it left on the finish. It was not balanced well at all for me. I drank one and did not ask for another. VERY Dissappointed in this one.