overall

RATINGS: 1961   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Silver Medal Winner, Great American Beer Festival, Stout 1988, 1989. Sierra Nevada Stout is a creamy and full-bodied example of this traditional style ale. Very dark and very rich, the Stout displays a pronounced roasted flavor.

Finishing Hops:Cascade
Bittering Hops:Chinook
Beginning Gravity:16 Plato
Ending Gravity:4.5 Plato
Malts:Two-row Barley Malt, Caramel Malt, Black Malt, Dextrin Malt
Yeast:Top Fermenting Ale Yeast

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
BierBauch (784) - Cape Coral Waterfront Wonderland, Florida, USA - SEP 21, 2003
I don't know, I just didn't get that much from this beer. Do they need to put cascade in everything they brew? Maybe it's their trademark, I don't know. Looks good, dark with a decent head. Aroma is predominantly cascade and roasted malt. Mouthfeel is ok, but the overall flavor is really lacking in my opinion. Nothing really grabbed me with this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 19, 2003
Pours darkest brown with a small and somewhat thin tan head that lasted quite well. Aroma is dark bitter chocolate, coffee and woody hops. Aroma is interesting mix of dark roasted malt sweetness with bitter coffee and hop character - a little too much lingering bitterness and acidity in the finish for my taste. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
papajohn (1249) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - SEP 5, 2003
Color is black with a good size light brown head. Nose is chocolate pudding. Flavor starts with a little coffee then a hint of bitter chocolate. The finish has a little grapefruit and is dry and lightly acidic. A unique stout , in a good way.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
r464 (1981) - Earth, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 3, 2003
UPDATED: FEB 20, 2004 A nice stout. Not creamy, but punchy and smooth. A little coffee in there, but not strongly so. A nice bitterness. Dark with a mild coffee aroma.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
SilkTork (5359) - Southampton, United Kingdom, Kent, ENGLAND - SEP 2, 2003
Bottle. Yummy - this is a very smooth and tasty little brew. Soft as an eiderdown quilt and twice as delicious. The mouthfeel is awesome - it fills every tooth and cavity, and each part tastes different to the rest resulting in a rollercoaster ride of flavours. Aroma is mildly stouty with some cappacino, fudge and vanilla. The taste is neither too sweet nor too bitter, but perfectly balanced between with elements of both. Not heavy, not extreme, just a perfectly balanced and flavoursome stout with a reasonable strength. Delightful.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
temporrari (387) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - SEP 1, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 13, 2005 Nice tasting stout. My favorite style. Rich flavor, I like this one a lot. Iíll have another.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ubiquibeer (140) - Cleveland, USA - SEP 1, 2003
UPDATED: MAR 17, 2008 I grew up within 50 miles of this brewery and have been drinking their beers for many years. Itís nice to see their distribution has increased just in time for me to move away. This is what I would consider my session stout. I feel this beer is underrated as well, possibly because most stout drinkers donít like the hop bitterness this beer has. I prefer to refer to it as an extremely dark and roasted APA. All I can say is SN, as you get bigger, please donít let the quality slip. I can see signs of that, but I hope it is just a phase.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 29, 2003
Black with red-amber edges. Aroma of anise, sour coffee, and some char. Chocolatey notes appear in the flavor along with coffee and smokiness again. Plus there's a nice dose of those hops that SN has lying around. I love the combination of sourness and bitterness that this beer provides. Rich medium to full bodied but very easy going down. SN has several great beers with nice, wide distribution and that makes me happy. A less modest brewer might call this a porter. Regardless, I still think that this beer is exceptional and underrated.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
wnp22 (685) - Toronto (Roncesvalles Village), Ontario, CANADA - AUG 28, 2003
Tasted in DC from Cairo. Dark colour - opaque. Slightly tangy scent, with hint of molassis. Taste is slightly on the bitter side, and slightly thin.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 7/20
roomtempbeer (185) - Franklin, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 25, 2003
I only realize that this is a twist-off after I pop the top. Beer pours (in Chimay glass) a dark brown to black liquid that light can not penetrate with generous off-white head that collapses but lingers. Aroma is of hops and pine needles - just how I remember SNPA. Flavor is a disgustingly brutal hop and pine needle - much like SNPA. Unenjoyable enough to be a drainpour. Smells and tastes terrible. Sampled at 71 degrees Fahrenheit.