overall

RATINGS: 1928   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Silver Medal Winner, Great American Beer Festival, Stout 1988, 1989. Sierra Nevada Stout is a creamy and full-bodied example of this traditional style ale. Very dark and very rich, the Stout displays a pronounced roasted flavor.

Finishing Hops:Cascade
Bittering Hops:Chinook
Beginning Gravity:16 Plato
Ending Gravity:4.5 Plato
Malts:Two-row Barley Malt, Caramel Malt, Black Malt, Dextrin Malt
Yeast:Top Fermenting Ale Yeast

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
bigal9699 (152) - Orange County, California, USA - JUN 3, 2002
Quality product - but I’m not a fan of hops in my stouts or porters. But hey, this is a Sierra Nevada product, so you know it will have hops ... in this case, hops along with nice bold chococlate and coffee notes. Its a quality product, just not exactly my cup of tea.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 3/20
austinpowers (2826) - New York, New York, USA - JUN 2, 2002
Must Sierra Nevada hop the crap out of everything they brew. If they did a schwarzbier, they’d probably hop that, too! Someone mentioned aroma, but I stuck my nose deep into the glass and smelled nothing. Not a thing. The stout itself is lost in all the hops. I don’t know if it’s bad or good because all I taste is Cascades.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Kevbo99 (149) - Dunmore, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 28, 2002
The aroma of this beer is wonderful. Tastewise, it is nothing spectacular. Not as good as other stouts like Guinness or Beamish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 4/20
cathcacr (636) - Oregon, USA - MAY 26, 2002
Wow, I must be on a ’stale and woody’ streak at the moment. Now I’m kicking myself for having spent bucks on a six-pack of this without ever trying a single before. The run-down: black color, BIG, lasting head, stale and woody taste. I didn’t detect special complexity. I thought Porters were supposed to be the woody ones. Very dry in the aftertaste. Gets even harder to drink as it warms. Not all that fun to drink, actually. I don’t think I’ll be coming back to this one.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Terminus (3283) - Las Cruces, New Mexico, USA - MAY 21, 2002
UPDATED: NOV 15, 2003 ReRate-bottle-im not changing the rating on this one, but i really think this is a very good basic stout. It has the normal flavor profile, but its very tasty. This stout is very sweet and reminds me of rogue shakesphere in the finish and the aroma. my only complaint is the somewhat thin body, but its just a basic stout. This is exactly what i expected, a GREAT stout. It has alot of similarities to the APA probably becasue they use the same bitter and finish hops. Unique because of the use of Cascade finishing hops. I have to get this again!!!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
dirtymike (2016) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - MAY 13, 2002
Roasty,hoppy for a stout,porter like hopping??? Dry and pleasant,but lacks real charcater.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
baseballguy (246) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 10, 2002
Very tasty, with a huge foamy head. Recommended.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAY 6, 2002
Deep brown to black in color, creamy chocolate head, generous lace. Nose is toasted grains, caramel, malt, the front is sweetly malt, the top full, the finish is acidic, dry, nicely hopped and a ’Damn’ decent stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jpfrog (130) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - APR 29, 2002
A good stout. Nothing like a nice Samuel Smith’s Oatmeal Stout, but nonetheless unique. The hops in this beer are very unusual for a stout, but at the same time I am definitely not complaining. I was however, hoping for a little more balance with the malt, but what else can you expect from a brewing company whose pale ale is only second two Stone’s Arrogant Bastard Ale in hoppiness. The head was nice and creamy with just the right hint of brownness to it. Not too much of a carbonated taste and feeling like you get with a lot of dryer stouts. Overall a very good beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
drismyhero (815) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - APR 29, 2002
This dark brew actually poured with a huge head and plenty of lace. Very bitter, I’m curious of the IBUs on this one. As the label sugests, there is a very distinct roasted flavor that helps balance the aggressive hops. A really good stout, but a bit on the acidic side of bitter for me.