overall

RATINGS: 1900   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Silver Medal Winner, Great American Beer Festival, Stout 1988, 1989. Sierra Nevada Stout is a creamy and full-bodied example of this traditional style ale. Very dark and very rich, the Stout displays a pronounced roasted flavor.

Finishing Hops:Cascade
Bittering Hops:Chinook
Beginning Gravity:16 Plato
Ending Gravity:4.5 Plato
Malts:Two-row Barley Malt, Caramel Malt, Black Malt, Dextrin Malt
Yeast:Top Fermenting Ale Yeast

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
HarmonKill-a-Brew (407) - Wilmar, Arkansas, USA - OCT 21, 2001
Well, I bought a sixer of this and Iím just not sure. I drank 3 of them one night and thought it was way to hoppy for a stout. I drank the other 3 the next night and thought it was pretty damn good. Like their porter, I could taste chocolate at the end of each drink. The second night, I thought it tasted very simular to their porter, just a little more hoppy. On my rating, I pretty much split the difference between my first and second impressions. Iím sure hop fans will love it, while stout fans (like myself) will find it to be a good beer, but not really true to the style. I just donít know why it tasted so much better the second night. I will probably try it again to try do do a more accurate rating.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
legion242 (2192) - Richardson, Texas, USA - OCT 8, 2001
Enough with the hops!!!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ravidesai (947) - Bombay, INDIA - OCT 6, 2001
looks beautiful, dark and creamy. nice firm head very hoppy for a stout. also not as thick and smooth as the great stouts. An intersting experiment but not as good as the great stouts.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
gonzimodo99 (26) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - SEP 19, 2001
Much hoppier than I expected. It looks pretty, but it just doesnít really stand out. Disappointing, but still better than most of the crap on the shelf.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
prpplague (247) - Euless, Texas, USA - AUG 3, 2001
judged on the bottle label as a stout, this beer may not stand out very much. however i find that it is a nice middlepoint between traditional porters and hardcore stouts

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
Delbomber (387) - Philadelphia, USA - JUL 20, 2001
The incredibly creamy, tan head on this beer was not, unfortunately, an indication of things to come. Immediately after pouring (and admiring its appearance for a few seconds) I noticed the extremely hoppy aroma. I knew then that this was going to be like most other SN brews: very hoppy. Well, this beer is OVERhopped, containing hardly any flavor other than hops; its thick, opaque body and bitter, black coffee finish were the only things I enjoyed. The more experience I have with SN, the less impressed I grow with them, as their beers tend to be very one-dimensional. Whereas I DO like hop-flavoring, I do not like it to be the dominant characteristic, especially of a stout. I am going to avoid Sierra Nevada for a while, if not forever. Maybe it just doesnít ship well to the east coast...how else might one explain the almost universal love for this brewery versus my growing disgust for it?

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
The Friar99 (222) - Wisconsin, USA - JUL 16, 2001

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
THE BEER BARON (275) - Wisconsin, USA - JUL 14, 2001

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
lmahony199 (52) - Alexandria, Virginia, USA - JUL 1, 2001
very slight but pleasant aroma, nice flavor but no real distinguishing caracteristics

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
drs (16) - Plano, Texas, USA - JUN 26, 2001
Nice aroma, but there is too much alcohol taste. I am a big fan of Sierra Nevada beers, but this isnít one of their best.