overall

RATINGS: 1897   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.01   SEASONAL: Summer   IBU: 28   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Summerfest is a delightfully refreshing example of a traditional style lager beer. While lighter in body than our ales, Summerfest displays significant hop aroma and a tangy hop bite. The long lagering period adds a smoothness that makes this beer a great summertime treat.

Bittering Hops: Perle & Saaz
Beginning Gravity: 11.8 Plato
Finishing Hops: Saaz
Ending Gravity: 2.7 Plato
Malts: Two-row Pale, Dextrin Malt, Munich
Yeast: Lager Yeast (bottom fermenting)

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
LordHedgehog (144) - Westminster, Maryland, USA - APR 28, 2004
A nice tight white head over a nice glass exactly the color of... well, let’s not judge a beer by its color. I’m really not a lager fan; there are only a few I like, and this is one. All lagers should taste more like this. Citrus notes blend with hops to make a fairly complex flavor, but it remains light enough (even at 5%) to be a good hot-weather beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
beerinmarch (2830) - Washington, USA - APR 27, 2004
Light in color, small white head, weak summer beer, tastes similar to Weinhards private researve.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BigBastard (668) - L.A., California, USA - APR 27, 2004
Fresh and crisp flavor, with a nice balance between malt and hops. Some light wheat and some citrus flavors too. I liked it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Sarahks23 (5) - Norman, Oklahoma, USA - APR 24, 2004 does not count
It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. Frankly I was expecting better, but what can I say I am a dark beer girl.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
tsarman (794) - Northern, New Jersey, USA - APR 22, 2004
For a lager, I can't believe it, its not that bad. I guess a craftbrewery can even make a lager taste good. Similar to a Sam Adams with a fresher taste. Pretty hoppy, but also pretty refreshing. Welcome summer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ontario102 (794) - Boise, Idaho, USA - APR 21, 2004
UPDATED: JUN 19, 2005 Rerate 6/19/05: Spicy Saaz aroma; pretty well balanced; simple and quite thirst quenching, but, not overly smooth. Might be good on a really hot day, but otherwise, I’ll generally pass on this one.......

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
guzzler67 (1503) - Hanover, Maryland, USA - APR 19, 2004
Pale gold appearance. Good whiff of the yeast and malts in the aroma. Well carbonated; matches up well with the citrusy taste. Crisp, clean finish.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 17, 2004
I've always found it curious that this very respectable brewery just can't bring itself to call one of it's beers a "lager." "Bottom-fermented Beer," the label still says. Call it a lager, and I won't hate ya, I promise! Appearance: crystal clear, pale-yellow, nice and frothy head, settles quick. Aroma: ain't nothin' at all, up in here! I search and I scratch...not a thing. Nice little bitta hops, that's good...tiny suggestion of malt, light body... I drank it, but I didn't really notice it was there, ...poof!, it's gone, without a trace! I know what they're going for, but it doesn't work at all for me. So a terrific American micro-brewery can make a very boring, non-dememo lager...whoop-de-doo!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
rhapsouldize (174) - Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 16, 2004
For what it is, it's not too bad. Light amber in color with a thin white head that left little lace. Citrusy smell, almost pungent in a way. Mildly hoppy and mildly malty; leaves a bitter, citrusy taste in your mouth. Much better than any other lager I've tasted, but that's not really saying too much.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
happy4hops (376) - Bel Air, Maryland, USA - APR 14, 2004
UPDATED: APR 18, 2004 Bottled on 3-26-04.Aroma of a very well made lager(very German at heart IMO)Nice fresh intense grassy/lemony hops(sazz! or Mitt&perle),German malts and prett yeasty.Nice solid gold pour with a good sized rocky white head/some lace.Nice robust tasting lager that at first impression reminded me of super Becks but this is more than than that.The hops in true SN fasion are pleasantly sharp at times with perfect medium bodied malt backing.Better than I remember last years being.