overall
Style: Premium Lager
Bangkok, Thailand
Serve in Lager glass

RATINGS: 1402   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.24   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
A premium lager beer brewed from the finest ingredients, Singha is a full-bodied 100% barley malt beer that is distinctively rich in taste with strong hop characters. Brewed with three hops: Saaz, Perle and Hallertau. Editor’s Note: Recipe scaled down from 6% to 5% in 2007.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
PictouRx (138) - Ontario, CANADA - MAY 12, 2013
This was one of two main beers I seemed to find at most places in Thailand, the other Chang. Well nothing much to write home about here, sort of a lame beer, flat no bitter, little grass aroma, tinny taste, flat overall.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
beerman991979 (137) - Old Town, Maine, USA - SEP 20, 2000
I thought this was fairly decent. A kind of sweet, malty flavor, with a very light hop aftertaste. I would have this again.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 5/20
edsspoon (137) - Nottinghamshire, ENGLAND - MAR 28, 2014
Pours golden with a thin white head that rapidly disappears. Aroma is malty and not very much else. Taste is slightly bitter, malty and vaguely hoppy. Watery and rubbish. I drank it with some super spicy food and it was alright.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
jackson220 (136) - new lenox, Illinois, USA - MAR 5, 2007
Bottle...Straw color, moderate head. The aroma is lightly hoppy just as the flavour that also has light malty sweetness. The finish has good bitterness. An ordinary lager, perhaps a bit more hoppy than most mainstrems...very nice with the thai food

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
JustinBathurst (134) - Corner Brook, Newfoundland, CANADA - OCT 6, 2007
OK, pours pale straw, very little head forms. Just enough to cover the top of the beer, but not thicker than a bubble or two. This makes me wonder what’s different about the bottle I had compared to others who speak of a huge foam. Skunked somewhat. Smells of old grass. Malt mixed with a subtle fruity sweetness at first, but over time quite a big fruity aroma emerges. Let me say this--the aroma is quite unique. The carbonation seems subdued, but it feels hot to the tongue. One glance at the glass reveals the carbonation exists in large amounts. This beer coats your tongue more than I’m used to. Taste is overwhelmingly sour. A slight bitter finish (and I mean slight) that becomes more noticeable as you drink. Sour start sets the tone. An old kind of sour lemon taste (old as in off, not nostalgic). Aftertaste is very citrus, with bitter overtones. In time, the tongue feels ’spiced’. At first, the high alcohol content isn’t noticeable, but after half a glass, I could feel and taste it. As it warms, the grainy character emerges in the flavour and it becomes less citrus. This beer isn’t as bad as I imagined it to be, but it’s quite different from what I usually favour. I was ansty about trying this one, but I would recommend this to people as an extremely unique, if not exciting, beer.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Dohny (134) - Bratislava, SLOVAK REPUBLIC - DEC 29, 2013
Poured from bottle. Clear light yellow color with white head. Esters and grape in aroma. Grapes dominates also in flavor. Sweetness is well ballanced with bitterness. Thin body, average carbonation.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
outerupt (133) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - APR 19, 2006
12oz bottle. Not an exceptional beer but not a drain-pour. You get exactly what you should expect from a lager from this region: slightly tropical banana, apple and pear notes on the nose, very easy going texture and soft malts on the palate with a quick refreshing, though subdued, hop finish. An ok Thai beer.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
rw4244 (132) - Bristol, Gloucestershire, ENGLAND - JUL 19, 2006
Bottle 66cl. Poured a dark amber, with a decent white head that actually lasts until the end (unlike most Asian beers). The aroma is fairly rich, malty and hoppy, with a definite hint of caramel. The flavour is similar, not watery though not particularly flavoursome - golden hops with a touch of malt. The aftertaste is similar, with a metallic tang I presume from the alcohol. Good, probably the best Thai beer I’ve had.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
mpbro (132) - Stanford, California, USA - FEB 24, 2003
(23Feb2003--633ml bottle) When in Thai (restaurant), drink Thai beer. For better or for worse. My only regret is that I paid for the "big" bottle. Pitiful head; spongy, gutless, and very coarse. Surprised to see no adjuncts. Also surprised to see 6% ABV. It gave me a nasty headache. Not much to say here. A pervasive sourness, crudely alcoholic, dry. I'm nursing a cold; didn't catch the hops that other reviewers have. Really quite similar in gross character to the American Malt Liqours. Perhaps storage and transport has taken its toll, but I'm not sure how much better this swill could get.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
mongkut4 (132) - Florida, USA - JUL 31, 2004
I lived in Thailand for two years and didn’t really care for Singha there. (Formaldehyde urban legend?) But here in the US it is my favorite lager. I guess it has something to do with how well it goes with the staple of my diet, Thai and other spicy foods.