overall
Serve in Shaker, Weizen

RATINGS: 47   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.12   IBU: 25   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
What can we say about this one? A bit of luck meets years of homebrewing experience? When it came time to test out our brewing system for the first time, we needed something that we wouldn’t feel too bad about dumping if we had equipment troubles. One of our brewers had enough malt in his homebrew stock, which unfortunately wasn’t being used due to all his spare time being spent helping get Six Row started, for a batch. However, it was a bit of a motley collection of ten (yes, ten!) malts, everything from wheat to pale to crystal to aromatic to our namesake. With a little supplemental malt from the local homebrew store, some Cascade and Goldings hops and a blend of US ale yeasts, the Whale (wheat/pale) ale was born. Pale copper in color, this is an interesting beer that has already been enjoyed by many. Let us know how you would describe it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
DrSilverworm (6366) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JUL 19, 2014
12oz bottle, picked up from Lukas Liquor in Missouri during RBSG. Shared with b3shine. Pretty cloudy kinda darker orange color. Thin ring of slightly off-white head. Leaves decent ridge of lace. Uhhh... In the nose, I get citrus and brett aromas... And in the flavor, definite straight up brettanomyces. Well, that’s kind of unfortunate that we’re tasting an infected bottle and we don’t know what the intended product is supposed to be like, but hey at least it’s brett and not diacetyl or something. Brett works for a pale ale, and it works for me here. I choose to rate the beer in front of me as if it’s an intentional brett pale ale... Good orange citrus, mild grapefruit aroma. Light spiciness. A nice wheat base that almost reminds me of a berliner. Light to moderate tart taste, light to moderate bitter, light to moderate sweet. Some solid zestiness. Medium body. Smooth, kind of soft, lightly effervescent lighter carbonation. Lightly dry finish. Solid, enjoyable bretted wheat-pale to have a small sample of, but after my rate finishes it kind of becomes uninteresting.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
b3shine (5424) - Indiana, USA - JUL 19, 2014
Bottle to snifter (shared by DrSilverworm). Looks solid; a slightly hazy orange with white head that dissipates into lacing pretty quickly. Smells mildly hoppy and bretty with a bit of orange. Tastes like it smells with a fairly dry, medium-bodied mouthfeel. This would score higher from me if I knew there was supposed to be some brett in this...

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Homer321 (1885) - Rock Ridge, Florida, USA - JUN 19, 2014
Draft. Nose is bready and grainy. Taste is slightly fruity with some apple like esters. Decent but seems slightly off, could be the yeast aspect of it.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Danbus (5) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - FEB 7, 2014 does not count
There's a lot going on in this pleasing mongrel beer, but it manages to be well-balanced and bright with a yummy aftertaste. It's part pale ale and wheat ale and yet this Frankenstein is a thing all its own. Good job, Six Row. I had this at their brewery in St. Louis. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
kaserk (46) - wdm, Iowa, USA - NOV 29, 2013
Drank this at Flanerys in the STL out of a bottle. Didn’t smell or taste good. Did not enjoy.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
kaser (2689) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - NOV 29, 2013
Orange pour from tap at flannigans. Wheat, orange peel, somewhat sweet. Fruity. Decent beer

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
boozedude (1788) - Des Moines, Iowa, USA - NOV 29, 2013
Bottle shared with my special sister kruton-butt at flannerys st louis...cant get much if the aroma..but taste is goog fir a wheat..some plesant lemin on the back end..refreshing i dig it

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
gschrade (648) - Collinsville, USA - NOV 2, 2013
I had this at Fitzs. Pours light yellow with a white head. Taste wheat, floral. I thought this was good. I could drink this again. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
jcwattsrugger (11083) - Florida and, New Jersey, USA - AUG 25, 2013
on tap-tight white-yellow. A-grain, some spice hops. T-some spice/herbal hops, grain/lt malt.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
EtTuCthulhu (1045) - Columbia, Missouri, USA - AUG 19, 2013
The aroma of this beer is a mixture of wheat and sour bread yeast, and the appearance is a hazy amber color with a medium white head that fades fairly quickly. The taste is quite sour and mildly sweet, and the palate combines a thin and slick texture, light body, soft carbonation, and an abrupt finish.