overall

RATINGS: 326   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.69   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 85   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Take thou also unto thee wheat, and barley, and beans... and put them in one vessel. The beans of bygone brewers, united with cacao and coffee, to create a trinity of roasted, rich, and savory flavors.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Boutip (4701) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - OCT 25, 2013
Can: Poured a dark clear brown color beer with a generous light brown foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of sublime coffee notes with well-balanced caramelized malt notes. Taste is also dominated by great coffee beans notes with almost no astringency or overly dry notes. Malt backbone is solid with good caramelized notes and no overly dry roasted malt notes with light residual sugar notes. Body is lighter then I was expecting for a 10% ABV beer with great carbonation and no apparent alcohol. I find it hard to distinguish the porter and thought this was more akin to a strong brown ale with loads of coffee.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Advocate_Ames (426) - Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 22, 2013
Pours dark with a red hue and a very fine head. A aroma has roasted malt notes, slight alcohol, and mild coffee. In the flavor I noticed an herbal texture, coffee notes, nice malt taste, slight bitterness, light chocolate, and a pleasant sweetness. Overall a drinkable and flavorful beverage.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
frank0830 (60) - South Bend, Indiana, USA - OCT 8, 2013
I got this beer from my LBS beer club in my monthly 6 pack. I honestly didn't even know what type of beer it was until I poured it. Ale with natural flavors and coffee? Anyways, it poured a bomb, but a beautiful color once it did settle down. The nose is very heavy with coffee notes, dark chocolate and roast which had me excited. The taste however is awful. I'm usually a huge fan of dark beers, this one I wouldn't give to my dog. I'm feeding it to the drain! ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
LtDan (1784) - Los Angeles County, California, USA - OCT 7, 2013
Appearance: pours brown with an off white head that subsides to a dense film.

Aroma: Sweet prepared coffee, some chocolaty roasty malt.

Taste: Sweet prepared coffee caramel. Roast. Faint hop spice.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and average carbonation.

Overall: Very tasty and surprised that it was clocking in at 10%.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
ChainGangGuy (4366) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - OCT 6, 2013
12 ounce can - $3.34 at Barrel and Barley in Woodstock, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours an opaque, dark brown body with a tall, growing, sandy-tan head.

Smell: Slight alcohol with some foretelling astringent, roasted notes of bread, nuts, and coffee that have felt the unforgiving flames just a bit too long.

Taste: Coffee, chocolate powder, and some roasted nuts and burnt toast. Medium-plus sweetness. A little raisin. Growing spicy, earthy, woodsy hop quality as the bitterness builds on the tongue pushed a bit further by the sharpness of the alcohol (a bit boozey). Pulling up a thin vegetal tone as I’m hoping, yearning for some semblance, some smoother components. Drying, alcoholic, moderately astringent finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium carbonation. Just a bit velvety.

Overall: Personally, it felt mish-mashed and muddled with some noted coarseness.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
DrinkinWell (262) - - OCT 6, 2013
Out of a can. Pours mocha black with generous tan head. Rich aromas and hints of mocha chocolate make this beer fantastic. Nice blend of bitter and sweet.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Alextricity (509) - Michigan, USA - OCT 5, 2013
$5 can bought at the Comet Cafe in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The can says "Best by July 10th", so it’s not exactly fresh, but it’s in a can, it’s not an IPA, and my guess is that it was stored cold. I’m not too worried about that. Appearance: Sexy. Pitch black with about two fingers of a creamy, dark tan head. Lacing’s somewhat patchy, but it just looks awesome overall. Smell: I had this served to me seemingly near freezing, so I got basically no smell out of my glass after pouring. After a few minutes, I smelled my warmed up can, and the first thing I got was a pretty huge dose of alcohol, followed by coffee and cocoa. As the 3Beans in my glass slowly warmed, it smelled like chilled dark coffee with cocoa sprinkled in. The alcohol aroma is slightly annoying, but I mean.. what the hell. It IS 10%. Taste/feel: When I first got it, it just tasted like a somewhat bland cold coffee (definitely needed to warm up). After it warmed up... wow. Massive coffee, complimentary dark chocolate, and a moderate amount of warming in the throat from the alcohol. This seems to be a fairly popular morning beer on BeerAdvocate, but this worked well for me as a nightcap.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
kermis (4950) - The Hague, NETHERLANDS - OCT 4, 2013
Can shared thanks to iphonephan. Pours dark brown with a small beige head. Aroma of chocolate, roast, coffee and some caramel. Flavour is moderate sweet and bitter. Medium bodied with soft carbonation.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 9/20
Westchesterco (905) - mclean, Virginia, USA - OCT 4, 2013
Poured from a bottle dark brown slight head aroma of brandy. It tastes of bitter chocolate that lingers on the palate

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Iphonephan (3187) - McLean, Virginia, USA - OCT 4, 2013
From a can shared with Kermis. Pours a clear cola brown with a bubbly, quickly dissipating head. Aroma of chocolate and a hint of licorice. Licorice comes out more strongly in the taste. Lingering bitter finish.