overall

RATINGS: 751   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.56   IBU: 62   EST. CALORIES: 192   ABV: 6.4%
Sixpoint Bengali Tiger is reminiscent of the century-old English IPA. In my perspective, many current IPAs suffer from lacking substance; unbalanced by a hoppy assertiveness that is not substantiated by a strong foundation of rich malt flavors. Our interpretation uses the highest-quality, floor-malted base malt, which lends a full-bodied and rich caramel flavor. We mash at high temperatures and add generous amounts of specialty malts to further emphasize a strong foundation of malt as leverage for our generous additions of hopsÖ Which are indeed generous. We use a total of three different hop strains, and add a total of six different additions throughout the process. The Bengali Tiger has a hoppy snap upfront, but strides at a steady pace, and finishes balanced. The signature characteristic of the Tiger is the aromaÖ we use massive quantities of whole East Kent Goldings hops to dry hop in our conditioning tanks. The result? The essential oils from the hops are an enticing treat before every sip. Notice the lacing of stripes around the pint glass as you finish your glass; itís the mark of the Tiger.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
coldbrewky (1428) - Hippetown East, New York, USA - AUG 29, 2011
UPDATED: DEC 2, 2012 Re-rate: Criosp and bitter hops abound and as jack Burton once said...shakes the pillars of heaven. Yeah three of these in a row will do that. Iíve tow four packs of this since the original funk-pack. Bouncing off the freshly painted walls and my back doesnít hurt at all! Four pack from the rip and run. First can was funky.. and not in a good way. That was a few days ago. Since I had recycled the cardboard box and then it blew to Kansas when Irene blew my recycling can over, I felt a bit lost since it was$8.99 that I would probably not ever see again. In addition, there are sober children in China that can do math better than me so I figured I better at least empty out the three remaining cans for the deposit value. Scientific and ecologic curiosity got the better of me and I poured the second one into a glass. After all, I am running low on beer after being home bound during the storm. Eureka! I cried as the second can was actually quite the opposite of the first. Piney citrus that turns into a pleasant biting grapefruit. Backed up by a solid malt bill, I slowly hang my head to the fact that I should have sent one of these Bertís way. The funk variable is distressing. Hopefully an anomaly.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
hamilton23 (610) - Alpine, California, USA - AUG 28, 2011
12 oz can. A: some citrus, a bit of hops and some caramel. A: copper in color. T: slight sweetness with a fair amount of bittering hops. P: well carbonated. O: A good beer to drink on a warm day.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
kassner (1354) - Wexford, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 25, 2011
UPDATED: MAR 7, 2012 One more IPA on Tap at Mad mex in Cranberry, but this one was full of florals and resins, cloudy honey color and nice head. March 2012 Can still all same except loss of florals, perhaps related to can age.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
Spookgolds (241) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 21, 2011
Had the opportunity to try this at iron abbey beer dinner, a very good ipa. Nice hoppiness. Good beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
lithy (2996) - Capital of Appalachia, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 21, 2011
This amber orange with a beige head beer has a earthy EKG aroma from the start, strong caramel, but some inconsistencies that muddle the whole thing. The fermentation seems like it has issues, it comes off as dirty, not nicely earthy, the caramels come off as borderline diacetyl. The contracted cans donít seem as good as the ratings for the original brewery recipes.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
vyvvy (4025) - Florissant, Missouri, USA - AUG 19, 2011
No date on the can, but it seems this beer has probably seen better days. Pours hazy amber with a rocky off-white head. The aroma has caramel malt, cream, light toffee and not much in the way of hoppiness. It has a medium crisp body with fairly sharp spritzy carbonation. The flavor starts with toasty malt, piny / earthy hops, some spice and caramel. The finish is earthy and spicy. Decent IPA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
MaBeer1972 (1342) - Taunton, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 18, 2011
I could smell the East Kent Goldings right away when I poured this one - having brewed with them often. I still donít know what to make of this one though. The hops totally dominate. Unlike the description, the malts are hardly noticed. Finish is sticky and bitter. Not all that unusual for a typical American IPA. I can feel the 6.8 though.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
FROTHINGSLOSH (4971) - GREENSBURG, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 13, 2011
Sampled on draft at 3R6P this beer poured a murky orange-caramel color with a huge fluffy orange-white head that lingered and left good lacing. The aroma was dryish, tangy, perfumey and floral. The flavor was bitter, tangy and dry with a light nutty undertone and moderate floral and earthy hops. Long, dry, bitter and perfumey finish. Medium body. Eh.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Hawksfan17 (890) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 9, 2011
Pours a nice amber. Nose is of hops, citrus and floral. Similar flavor profile with a bitter bite finish. I have had better from them and it is a pretty standard bitter IPA.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
hivemind (711) - New York, New York, USA - AUG 8, 2011
Finally rating one of my go-to NY IPAs. This particular glass is from a growler filled at 9th Ave Vintners in Manhattan. Deep orange (hence the name?) and huey pour with minimal head and no lacing on the glass. Some carbonation lost at time of rating as the growler is not fresh anymore. Floral and bready nose, very hoppy taste with not much else coming through. Probably boring if youíre not all about hopiness/IPAs, but I think itís solid at this point as Iím just discovering different hop profiles.