overall

RATINGS: 715   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.72   IBU: 103   EST. CALORIES: 273   ABV: 9.1%
It’s been less than a year since we released our four core beers in cans, and we’re ecstatic to announce a new addition to the flock. This isn’t a seasonal release, like the Autumnation of last fall or Diesel, still going ’round this winter. It isn’t our upcoming spring seasonal can, either. It’s a never-before-released, big beer in a slim, 12 oz. can with a potent burst of hops and as strong as an ox: Resin. We zeroed in on the botanical structure of the hop cone to get to the essence of this beer. When hops are at their peak maturity, their cores swell up with a sticky, golden, resinous substance that is the flavor you crave from an IPA. WIth an IBU of 103 and ABV of 9.1%, Resin can be loosely described as a double IPA — but rarely do Sixpoint beers adhere to any strict style demands.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Maxbier (155) - Maryland, USA - MAY 25, 2014
Dark slight haze golden color, thick lite head. Aroma is piney resinous with some floral fruity notes. Strong malty flavors, piney hoppy flavors, acidic citrusy finish with lingering mild bitterness. Different than other DIPAs, Resin is a good name for this beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
mmmbeer (1235) - Austin, Texas, USA - MAY 23, 2014
UPDATED: MAY 26, 2014 12 mini small can from a 4 pack (which is in my belly) served in my stolen DH glass (delivered from Couch Potato Austin)- poured a 50 % translucent copper tan color with several floaties present when held to a light source. Aroma of pine after I step out the door in Minnesota (but I’m from MI- nevermind Obama lovers- true story by the way), Hits the mouth with a medium body, some light caramel is mixed with the malt, but nothing overpowering, middle holds up with the beginning of a decent hop wave, finish is very acidic, and begs for another sip. Overall- fantastic drinking brew lately. Perhaps middle of the road a few years prior, but considering ALL BREWERIES LATELY are playing with themselves, I’ll take what I can get.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
AlainG (1141) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - MAY 23, 2014
Elle est ambrée et embrouillée alors que sa mousse est fugace et sans intérêt pour le tissage. De beaux arômes d’agrumes charment d’emblée le nez. Ensuite, c’est son côté floral qui prend la relève. On détecte aussi du miel, des herbes et du poivre. Des saveurs fruitées agréables passent en imprégnant la bouche et en y laissant un arrière-goût, une belle et douce amertume de pamplemousse rose, avec ses particularités quelque peu sucrées. Elle est bien ronde et se boit à grandes gorgées. Encore une fois, merci Isabelle, (1067-060514)

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
beastiefan2k (2368) - Emerald City (formely NYC & KS), Washington, USA - MAY 20, 2014
Red Bull like can, BB June 2014. Poured into shaker at bar. Medium head, hazy dark gold color. Well, no need to go much into detail. Its overly astringent alcohol and malt mix and green bitter hops. As described by the name nothing but resin and high octane. No bueno. I have rated my worst 5 of 6 Sxpoint beers in the past year. I’m only drinking them at this point to crack their top 5. This brewery is, otherwise, a waste of my time.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
jtclockwork (8026) - , New Jersey, USA - MAY 19, 2014
Can. Backlog. Pours amber. White head. nose/taste of resin, pine, grapefruit, citrus and caramel malt. Medium body.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Sunni05 (31) - Florida, USA - MAY 17, 2014
Smell the hops! From the moment I opened the can it was powerful. As I poured it into my snifter the aroma was intoxicating. Great piny flavor...just like the name you could taste the hop resin. Loved it. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
tmm313 (55) - Georgia, USA - MAY 10, 2014
Strong, inviting aromas of orange, grapefruit, tropical fruit, pine and pepper. Taste - Sweet orange up front. Resinous pine follows immediately after and shifts into a grassy, spicy herb-like flavor, all backed by a sweet caramel backbone. Pine and grapefruit finish with a touch of booze. Complex and very well balanced. The taste was truly unique among the IPAs I’ve tried so far.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Clarkdvm (101) - Florida, USA - MAY 8, 2014
Can- unique presentation but description on can is over the top. Very hoppy with hints of citrus. Smells like beer. Metallic aftertaste. No idea was 9.1 abv. Guess just not my type (I prefer sours, barrel aged, stouts and dark brews in general).

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
SimonTja (241) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - MAY 8, 2014
6 month old can.   Copper orange with a eggshell white head. Sticky smell, very floral, lots of hops, but not a lot of tropical fruit, more resin, but I remember having this fresher and it was incredibly juicy and fruity. Taste is very very balanced, everything is well compontented, Bitterness that is very evened out kind of a sweet but medium light malt body and a lot of hoppy goodness. Very drinkable 9.1% not noticeable at all, quite bitter aftertaste.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Dr.Drei (9) - New York, USA - MAY 7, 2014 does not count
The aroma is nice: mild floral and citrus qualities, very complex. I’m having a hard time pining down what kind of hops they used. Definitely not some of the varieties with strong citrus qualities (e.g., Citra, Centennial). The beer pours clear with a pillowy head. As for taste, it is on the sweet side, with a nice balance of hops and malt. I’m tasting Crystal malt (I’m going to guess Crystal 40). I’m wondering what the primary base malt was. The palate is nice, with medium body, a creamy texture, soft carbonation, and a bitter finish. It is a very good to excellent DIPA. I only wish that Sixpoint would list the grains and hops they use on their beers.