overall

RATINGS: 142   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.3   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Real spearmint and peppermint — not extract — combine with cocoa nibs and vanilla beans to create your reward for making it through winter.

Ancient Greeks tell us (’cause we talk to them) that Persephone turned Minthe into a mint plant in a jealous rage, to keep the little nymph away from her man Hades. Jealous rages rarely end well, but if one did result in mint we’re glad: this is a unique and delicious stout, and we recommend having one while you calm the hell down.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Garrold (1637) - Sheffield, South Yorkshire, ENGLAND - DEC 20, 2013
Can from StarmoreBoss, Sheffield. Nice looking beer, that promises much. Spearmint, cocoa, lightly roasted coffee. Taste is not as complex, though. Dry, bitter, but a bit thin. Light body. Dry finish. Probably better with a square or two of decent chocolate.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
TBone (12966) - Pori, FINLAND - DEC 7, 2013
Can @SBWF 2013
Dark brown color, good brownish head. Mint-chocolaty aroma. Light-bodied. Some chocolate tooth paste, mint. Minty. Awful.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Mjp12 (411) - York, North Yorkshire, ENGLAND - NOV 23, 2013
Very unusual, having it as pudding, after a curry, and the mint and chocolate balance works really well. File it as one to try, but I couldn’t drink pints of it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
lusikka (6449) - Tampere, FINLAND - NOV 22, 2013
355 ml can.
Pours a dark brown colour with a small head. Aroma is very rich with peppermint candy, chocolate chip cookies and roastiness. Flavour is very well balanced with peppermint, rich maltiness, chocolate, smooth vanilla notes and biscuit. Has those same flavours you get from a mint chocolate icecream. Medium bodied, very smooth mouthfeel and soft carbonation. Excellent drinkability. My kind of a beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
DrnkMcDermott (2822) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - NOV 20, 2013
Single can from Lemon Tree. I just poured straight into my nonick to kick up as much foam as I could. Got a rich, thick head as a reward, like too much foam on a cappuccino. Mint dominates the nose, wouldn’t ya know, with peppermint acting truly sharp, then letting a note of chocolate in on the side. And that just feeds into the taste. As they say, no extract. I can taste the mint leaves that must have been steeped at brewing. I think for some people, it might be a little too much. But if you like Andes mints in your beer — well, this is the first time I’ve made that connection — this is worth trying for you. Really. Chocolate mint beer. Stout backing is sweet enough to handle it, with no excess roastiness or harshness. Also none of the Guinness sour quality.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
juicyhops (48) - Grayslake, Illinois, USA - NOV 20, 2013
Can. Smells like chocolate chip mint ice cream. Black with a dissipating tan head and some lace. Pick up alot of spearmint and some peppermint and chocolate. I would dial back the mint and increase the chocolate and vanilla. Interesting beer though. Might make cupcakes and chocolate icing with it.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
baalroo (5) - - NOV 18, 2013 does not count
Like most Ska Brewing Co. offerings, this one is a bit odd. First let me get this out there: I drank it straight from the can. The most interesting part of this beer for me was the uneven mixture of flavors. As I drank the beer, it slowly progressed from being "mostly stout," to "chocolatey stout," to "mint chocolate stout," and finally "andes mint in a can." The stout itself is relatively unremarkable, but the cocoa/vanilla addition was very smooth and tasty, and as the real mint came on stronger and stronger it too had a very pleasant and "natural" quality. Overall, the drink did have a bit more "tinny" of a flavor that I would have liked, but that may have simply been a result of drinking from the can. tl;dr If a chocolate MINT stout sounds like an interesting experiment to you, this is a decent choice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
nuplastikk (4674) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 8, 2013
12oz can. Points off the top for using non-extract additives and specifying it on the label. Massive spearmint/peppermint aroma. An odd beer, one that may retire my usage of minty descriptors for Black IPA, because this one is a highly unique creature and really takes the natural mint tones into the stratosphere. All out mint tones coupled with mellow, medium bodied chocolate. I would never want a full six pack of this beer but I dig it for what it is.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
JStax (3176) - Devola/Marietta, Ohio, USA - NOV 8, 2013
12 ounce can thanks to Errl. Pours a darker brown with a lighter beige head of foam. Decent retention. In the aroma I get what reminds me of a peppermint patty. I get rich dark chocolate fudge, chilling mint, and a hint at some chilli. Maybe just some pepper presence since there’s no detectable heat. Sweet and minty taste with that earthy pepper presence lingering in the background. I think the mint in this may be on its downswing since it isnt as pleasant as I think it should be, but maybe that’s how it has been from the start.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
tommann (2817) - Dudley, West Midlands, ENGLAND - NOV 8, 2013
355ml can. Pours black with a small head. Aroma is spearmint, chocolate and liquorice. Taste has spearmint to start and fruity chocolate to finish.