overall

RATINGS: 115   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.31   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Real spearmint and peppermint — not extract — combine with cocoa nibs and vanilla beans to create your reward for making it through winter.

Ancient Greeks tell us (’cause we talk to them) that Persephone turned Minthe into a mint plant in a jealous rage, to keep the little nymph away from her man Hades. Jealous rages rarely end well, but if one did result in mint we’re glad: this is a unique and delicious stout, and we recommend having one while you calm the hell down.

Jerm719's rating

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Jerm719 (91) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - JUN 21, 2013
Mild nose. Dark chocolate, mild mint. Light earthy bitterness. Hint of smoke. Medium finish. Balanced flavors. I wish it was a tad more sweet to bring out the mint, opposed to a bittersweet menthol flavor. It’s OK ......

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
Beese (1099) - Watford, Hertfordshire, ENGLAND - APR 15, 2014
Can from Beers of Europe. Poured black with a dense, tan head. Aroma was undeniably minty; specifically After 8s, there was some more typical roasted malt character behind this. Initial flavours were liquorice and chocolate, but the mint rapidly creeps in and overwhelms everything else. Definite toothpaste, rather than subtle mint leaves. Finish was vanilla, aniseed and mouthwash. I had feared that this wouldn’t sit well with me and I was correct. In fairness, I doubt I would have liked this, even without the mint, as it was just too sweet. However, I think it was the inclusion of spearmint which really did for it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
gnoff (7465) - Mölndal, SWEDEN - APR 14, 2014
Draught at CBC reception, April 8 2014.
Black color, brown head. Sweet, minthy scent. Sweet, metallic taste. Fizzy mouthfeel, low bitterness.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Strykzone (4478) - Wood River, Illinois, USA - APR 14, 2014
Sampled at esbls. Stoutblooking with a small head. An earthy minty nose. Itbtastes like girl scout cookie mint. Not really good. Earth and, well, fish. Kind of a chocolate finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
mar (4662) - Dallas, Texas, USA - APR 9, 2014
Black pour with a khaki head. Nose is mint, roasted malts, creamy and light chocolate. Smooth palate, heavy mint, light chocolate, splash of cream

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
TerriOcean (3) - - APR 7, 2014 does not count
The aroma came out stronger once the beer warmed up. The flavor was great but the mint was over taken by the strong chocolate at the start.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
shadbow (36) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - APR 7, 2014
A Girl Scout cookie in a nice stout. I like this beer. It could be better with some nitro and a little more aromatic to the mint.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Kingi (448) - - APR 4, 2014
Aroma and taste is a nice stouty cocoa backbone. Then u add some mint in to it. Also a little milky sweetness. With out the mint this is a good stout, with the mint it depends on if u like mint in ur stout. Appearantly I did. Medium body, slick feel.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Frank (2387) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 31, 2014
I always though a mint stout would be interesting and now that I have tried one I can say that, yes, for sure it is interesting. Specifically, it is interesting in a way that I can kind of pretend I enjoy it but not in a way that it is entirely unlike drinking beer right after you brushed your teeth. The thing is, beyond the the minty gimmick, this is actually a good American stout. It is deep black with a brown head that fades to a long-lasting ring and leaves big splotches of lace. It is tasty with lots of roast character complimented by a good amount of hops, big and rich, and for some reason someone put mint in it. I can see doing something like this as a homebrew experiment but I’m not sure how it made it to production at a fairly large craft brewery. I applaud the effort but I am never buying this again.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Everettm (65) - Bristol, Somerset, ENGLAND - MAR 28, 2014
Interesting to say the least, pours a very dark reddish brown with a finger of tan head. Aroma of candy canes, mint gum, milk chocolate, cream soda and cocoa. An average carbonation fits well,but the body could do with a slight bulk, the beer manages to be both ice cream like in creamy taste but still slightly thin on the palate. Initial taste is of bitter chocolate followed by almost pallet cleaning mint, a milky note is present and combined with the almost artificial vanilla, the beer is given a mint choc chip ice cream character. A good amount of traditional American stout malt character is shown, however the mint aspect of the beer is just a bit to much.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Caytinator (813) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAR 25, 2014
Pint on tap. So this is a pretty fantastic beer, I was immediately impressed with the appearance and aroma. It looks like a regular stout--tan head, dark, opaque, average lacing. The mint smell is apparent but not overwhelming - it lets the other smells shine through. The real spearmint and peppermint make this awesome, the taste is very fresh for a stout and not overbearing. Just a great new style of beer, I really really liked it!