Skeena Brewing Wolfgangs German Style

overall

RATINGS: 66   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.27   EST. CALORIES: 177   ABV: 5.9%
Wolfgang’s German Style is brewed in small batches using Hersbrucker hops, pure water, yeast and malted barley. It is distinctively full bodied; smooth and exceptionally tasteful to the pallet. Cold filtration ensures an all natural, great tasting beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Maklean (50) - Ontario, CANADA - APR 7, 2013
Pours straw, small diminishing head. Aroma of grains with a hint of green apple. Easy drinking lager, better than mass market.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Viper666 (2763) - Quebec, CANADA - DEC 25, 2012
Bouteille 341ml. De couleur dorée foncée et claire. Nez de grains de malt pâle assez sucrés, léger de pain et de sirop de maïs ainsi qu’avec des notes de légumes boullis sucrés, de houblon herbeux et floral. Mince-moyenne en bouche avec un pétillement moyen ainsi qu’une texture aux faibles notes huileuses. Goût de légumes bouillis sucrés dès l’entrée en bouche auquel se rajoute un goût de grains de malt pâle sucrés avec des notes de pain et de maïs sucré puis en finale l’on retrouve de faibles notes amères de houblon herbeux (gazon mouillé). Post-goût moyen-court, très légèrement amer de houblon herbeux avec un léger goût de légumes bouillis sucrés.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 11/20
LBarouf (113) - Ontario, CANADA - NOV 17, 2012
Sharp, tangy hop nose is somewhat floral and spicy. Clear golden colour with thin, white head that diminishes to thin ring. Mild citrus/floral hop flavour and grainy pils malt character with very gentle bitterness. Flavour passes quickly leaving a grainy aftertaste. Light body and full, gassy carbonation. Bottle.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
djjodskins (28) - CANADA - NOV 16, 2012
Very carbonated, pours golden yellow with a low noble hop aroma and a slight hint of roasted malt. A bit sweet, a little toasted flavor.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Digital_Aura (227) - Ontario, CANADA - AUG 16, 2012
341ml bottle. Poured into pilsner glass creating an adequate 1/2" head with staying power. Deeper gold (Lovibond 8) brew than most lagers or pilsners. Aroma is indistinct but pleasant. Tastes full and balanced without being standout in any area. Slakes a thirst. Great palate! Fizzy yet crisp. Easy drinking.

1.4
   AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 5/20
OntBeerDrinker (419) - Ontario, CANADA - JUL 23, 2012
okay so even on a quicker pour its looking like no head then BANG big head and BANG then gone asap. few BIG carbination bubbles go up on own. Smell is something light n apple juice like. Taste is like I think I taste some malt n hops. I taste a little carbination & its alot of an aftertaste of sweet watery apple juice. This thing deff is NOT great but don’t suck. whatever.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 7/20
DuffMan (6460) - the land of bitumen, beef & beer, Alberta, CANADA - JUL 13, 2012
Bottle. So, I’m the Skeena brewing company and I’m going to brew (make that contract brew) one beer to offer to the world! Hmmmm, what will that beer be.... I know! How about a malt-liquor-ish, strong pale lager that has an adjuct laden profile and very little character? YEAH! And we’ll call it a "classic German pilsener" cuz nobody will know how full of shit we are! We can cash in on the craft beer craze, and losers like DuffMan will buy it just to rate it! Our business plan is BULLETPROOF! ...well Skeena, congratulations. Success. Boo.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
ocbguy (1) - ajax, Ontario, CANADA - SEP 17, 2011 does not count
This is quite simply the worst beer I’ve ever tasted. I was given a couple of these to try and really had to choke them back. It’s not bad as in major worldwide brewers buck a beer bad, but rather a total failure at what it attempts to achieve. There is nothing remotely comparable to any german beer I’ve ever tasted, and it isn’t a pilsner either. The first warning is that it says it’s german "style". Then you open the bottle and smell a yeasty, sour and slightly malty liquid. It tastes worse than it smells. Every individual flavour within this beer conflicts with every other flavour. Normally I prefer a crisp pilsner, or a complex ipa, or maybe a thick belgian abbey beer. At the time when I was drinking this, it was all the alcohol in the house. It was that or nothing. Every swallow resulted in a choke. I thought I had a bad batch due to the skunky flavour, but my experience seems to correlate with a few others. Ratebeer.com rates old english as the very worst beer in the world. I would drink a case of oe before I would subject myself to wolfgang’s again. Please leave my beer store shelves alone and make some room for more duggan’s or flying monkeys, or sergeant major please.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
UM02 (302) - Quebec, CANADA - AUG 24, 2011
Has a sweet malty taste, reasonably pleasant but nondescript. Nothing very German about this, more like a strong pale lager. Not as bad as some reviewers say though, better than a macro, easy drinking but would not buy again either.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
yarry (527) - Waterdown, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 16, 2011
From OCB Taster, 5.9% a/v 391ml. Kind of put of by them calling it "German Style", as I am fairly sure there is more than one style found in Germany, but I digress: Pale gold colour with a half decent white head. Smells overly malty, grass, and a tad skunky. The taste is also very malty (almost like a malt liquor, which I dont beleive is German usually). The hops are barely there, and could have backed up the malt if they increased the dose. Overall, underimpressive beer that could use some tweaking.