Skull Coast Scallywag XPA
     click to upload

RATINGS: 3   MEAN: 3.77/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.08   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
Our Extra Pale Ale is brewed with real Almonds. The subtle complexity of flavors between the five different malts, almonds and East Kent Goldings hops is one of the reasons Scallywag recently won Best Brew at the Gastonia Brew Festival.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
ChristianBlack (25) - North Carolina, USA - JUL 24, 2011
From notes: Poured into a pint glass. Itís a really nice golden straw color. Not see through. Big fluffy white head that stuck around and laced all the way down. The smell was very different, but good. The bartender told me that it was an almond ale, so it had a faint almond smell. I would go so far as to say it was almost like an Amaretto. The taste was nutty. I could taste a bit of the almond I guess in there. But it was dry with a nice finish. Not your normal pale ale. There was not an abundance of citrus hops or anything. It was more nutty. But it was pretty hoppy, my tongue tingled. Mouthfeel was good with a good amount of carbonation. Overall, itís probably not my favorite from Skull Coast. Iím a big fan of their Gallows Point. But, this is a good twist on the traditional pale ale out on the market. Itís definitely worth a try.

AllHatDavidson (10) - Davidson, North Carolina, USA - JUL 14, 2011
Had this at our local Our Town Cinemas on tap. Pours a nice straw color. The aroma is unmistakable with the toasted almonds. Tastes great and very drinkable. Good carbonation. Overall, I really, really liked this beer. I had several of these while watching the movie. I didnít really take great notes... a little dark in the theater. But, I did like sending my girlfriend out every couple of minutes to get me another. :)

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
OldGrowth (2751) - the Containment Area, North Carolina, USA - MAY 23, 2011
on tap @ Tylerís Apex 5/18/11. Good aroma, sweet. Fruity. little berry, little citrus, little more almond. definate Ameretto streak. Yellow golden color. Ok head and lace. Sweet flavor. Lite body, Smooth creamy mouthfeel, clean finish. Nice, unique flavor, not particularly strong. Almond got more pronounced as warmed. I drank a few more over the weekend....