overall

RATINGS: 13   MEAN: 3.38/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.18   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Based on a traditional English style porter made with seven different barley malts, SLO Brew's version adds a unique chocolate/ coffee richness to create the Schwarzenegger of our beers

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Headbanger (3311) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - MAY 12, 2014
12oz bottle (Old Notes-Brewed at August Schell New Ulm, MN)-Pours black with a decent head. Aroma of coffee, chocolate, and roasted malt. Taste of the same with some sweetness on the back end. This full bodied brew is darn tasty.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
dwyerpg (4579) - Las Vegas, Nevada, USA - OCT 6, 2012
Tons and tons of coffee in the aroma. This is a beer for coffee lovers only and I’m not one. Ti’s tasty enough but not lovable for a non-coffee guy.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
wetherel (1836) - Encinitas, California, USA - AUG 22, 2009
OK. I cut and pasted this part from my other ratings at SLO brewing: "Tried at the brewpub in downtown Paso Robles after a day of visiting wineries. Man, the wineries ROCK here. What an awesome day. What a better way to finish off the day than to sit down with a sampler platter of ice cold uber-crappy beer." On to the beer: You would think that roasted grains would hide the yuck...they don’t. Black color. Vegetal. Fluffy head. Dish rag taste and aroma. Lightly sweet. Impossible to finish the 3oz taster. Well at least I got 6 new ratings from SLO brewing.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
RSRIZZO (1853) - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA - NOV 4, 2007
Had this beer on 7/9/1998. Color is a rich black with good carbonation and a great creamy head. Aroma has the scent of sweet roasted malts. The taste is is smooth and nice with a mild bitter end. It starts off with a rich body that goes down smooth as the roasted flavors start to come though. Once down the finish starts with a rich almost sweet malt taste, that fades leaving you with a nice hop bitterness and a hint of hop taste. As you drink it the finish does become a little more bitter than I like.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
mjg74 (2492) - La Mesa, California, USA - MAY 26, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 27, 2007 22oz. Very rich and roasty porter. Lots of coffee. Strong porter. I used to drink out of the bottle back when I drank this in 1996 so I’m not sure how it looked. I doubt they even make this anymore.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
Panzuriel (1312) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - APR 15, 2003
Nice dark brown/black brew with a good head. Nice malty aroma with chocolate hints. Nice full mouthfeel. Darkly wonderful.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
stephen (308) - California, USA - JAN 7, 2003
Dark almost black color with minimal head. Clean flavor of chocolate and black malts. Good body. Easy drinking.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
DaSilky1 (2606) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 21, 2002
UPDATED: FEB 23, 2003 Just found this in a nearby store, wonder how old it is considering the last rating was in October 01 and the last rater said they don't make it anymore...poured dark with a halo'd head with the constellation orion swirling in the center, aroma had a rotten veggieness to it which I couldn't get past to try to pick up anything else...totally redeemed by the flavor, THANKFULLY, sweet chocolate candy bars, frapachinos, whipped cream with shredded chocolate on top...still a bit rotten veggieness in the lingering finish..I guess it wasn't meant to be aged...I'm sure it was better in its prime

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
beerguy101 (5287) - Newark, California, USA - OCT 4, 2002
Dark Color. Rich chocolate malt taste, smooth finish. Dry Aftertaste

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Sickboy282 (1115) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 14, 2002
I found this beer with DaSilky’s brew tour reccomendation. I saw this and had to try, even though I remembered dasilky’s review. Still a decent beer, although a little stale. I wish I could have had this on tap.