overall
Brewed by St. James’s Gate (Diageo)
Style: Irish Ale
Dublin, Ireland
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 1972   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.02/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Smithwick’s is Ireland’s number one ale. Its exceptional taste, distinctive colour and purity of ingredients make it unique. Its rich, satisfying taste has earned it five gold medals in the famous Monde Selection Beer Tasting Competition. Smithwick’s is produced using the finest hops and special roasted, malted barley. In 1998 a new enhanced draught product with improved head retention was launched along with redesigned glassware.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
Radek Kliber (6937) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - OCT 27, 2001
UPDATED: JAN 7, 2003 Mixed feelings . It is relatively expensive but taste avergae . I gues that I can say that it is smooth but the taste did not pleased my taste buds .

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
freekyp (1838) - Thomasville, North Carolina, USA - MAR 28, 2004
UPDATED: MAY 22, 2006 Crisp clear amber color with light carbonation. Very light toast aroma portends a light malty mouthfeel. Hoppiness is very subdued. Very Bass-like, with a little more hop character.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
JonR888710 (999) - Cochabamba, BOLIVIA - MAY 29, 2004
On tap at Okra’s in Manassas, VA. Burguny-brown color with a small, unattractive white head. Not much of a smell just some sugars and skuny malt. Taste is equally as plain and boring. I have no clue how this beer is rated so well. I found it to be disappointing and below average.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 8/20
bitter (1136) - Henderson, Nevada, USA - JUN 1, 2004
on draft: i have heard about this beer forever and couldnt wait to taste it once i saw it on draft at the bar. i was wrong for waiting. not much of a beer very watery and thin with a caramel toffee flavor that rolls around and goes away. if you want to have a smithwicks and dont want the alcohol or have to go to the bar. get a piece of caramel and drink with cold water and youll get the same impression. uninteresting.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Nuffield (3988) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - SEP 6, 2004
Perhaps I was spoiled, having just come from the Clark Street Ale House and some rather respectable brews. But I had a full Imperial pint and it was a struggle to enjoy this. Caramel flavors but very thin. Only a titch of a malt body, and overall very watery and weak, especially considering all that color (makes you think about coloring additives?). Drinkable, at least, but not much more than that. (on tap, Fado [Irish Theme Pub], Chicago, IL)

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
leitrim65 (402) - Seattle, Washington, USA - AUG 3, 2005
On tap at the Celtic Swell in West Seattle. Deep mahagoney color with little to no head. Bland malty nose. Watered down with some elements of malt, caramel, and nuts. Boring!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
Stine (1744) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAR 18, 2007
Bready aroma, dirty blonde color. Tastes of crust with a mildly rich nutty tone. Reminiscent of an average grade bitter, only one that has been coughed out, mopped up from the floor and strained back into the glass. Pretty scummy.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
StoutOrDeath (121) - USA - APR 23, 2007
I was really disappointed with this. I saw it on a beer runs in between sets with my band ( www.TheMartiniShakers.com for a shameless plug--I really was on a break, though), but I passed it up in favor of a couple of stouts. The next day, I saw this at a filling station, and figured what the heck. I didn’t even know it was a Guinness product. I poured it in a pint glass, as I do with all new beers on the first one (every one after I go from the bottle), and was initially impressed by the color. This is a beautiful ale--very dark, lots of bubbles. I then blew my nose (alergy season in Alabama----Iwanted to appreciate the aroma), and---nothing. No smell at all. I took a big gulp (as an explaination, I always drink the first half of a beer in one drink to truly understand it full effect. The second is a sip that I swish in my mouth to break up the different parts. I’m a wierdo), and it honestly tasted like every other crappy American beer I’ve ever had. Nothing unique at all. Long story short, this is the last 6 of this crap I’ll ever buy. For the money, get Guinness.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 7/20
krysztofar (344) - belleville, Illinois, USA - MAY 9, 2007
pours with a big foamy head (or maybe i poured too fast) that settles slowly. smells of both sweet malts and slightly of hops. it’s balanced but kind of tasteless as well. not much going on here. forgettable.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
BitchesBrew (715) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - FEB 6, 2008
[WBA Styles Tasting] Reddish copper color. Skunky aroma- sweet toffee, caramel and corn. Plenty of DMS in the flavors. Really quite overpowering. Far too sweet for me. Cloying Perhaps a bad bottle?