overall
Brewed by St. James’s Gate (Diageo)
Style: Irish Ale
Dublin, Ireland
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 76   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.03   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
Smithwick’s Pale Ale is a quality beer with a fuller taste, craft brewed with 100% pale ale malt and aromatic hops.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
wimpyjoe (3543) - Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire, ENGLAND - APR 19, 2012
Has a great nose to it, although a weak body. The crisp pale flavour makes up for this.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Sizzler80 (447) - Dublin, IRELAND - APR 19, 2012
Golden amber, crisp pour with a frothy white head and good lacing. Aromas of hops, malt, citrus, grass, banana peel. Quite bitter from the hops on initial sip and vibrant on the palate. Citrus, malt and banana are there but subdued. Smithwick's Pale Ale is decently carbonated and very refreshing. Good session beer. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Foxbush (1258) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - MAR 10, 2012
In our travels in Ireland we did not always drink Guinness. The Galway Hooker was tasted where we could get it and then we found this pale ale form Swithwick’s. The bartender Larry at the Porter House in Westport recommeded it to me. He said that only 260 pubs had it in Ireland while they were market testing. The ale poured a nice amber color with citrus aroma from the start. The bitterness of the hops was well balanced with the malts. It had a medium body with lively carbonation. The white head laced and lasted through out.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
Superwhitearmy (1) - FRANCE - OCT 23, 2011 does not count
I had a few pints of this excellent beer in Hargadons in Sligo (the only pub in Sligo stocking it apparently). As a big fan of English real ale, I normally steer well clear of mass produced ’gassy’ beers but found that in Sligo real ale doesn’t exist, so I gave this a try. I’m no beer expert so can’t give a ’technical’ review, but found this beer to have exactly the right level of bitterness and enough carbonation to keep the beer fresh throughout the pint. It reminded me of Marstons Double Drop. Very drinkable.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
AR (1000) - Georgia, USA - OCT 14, 2011
Second rating? I had no idea. Tried this at the Galway Bay Hotel. I asked them if they had a Galway Hooker, which I had wanted to try. The waitress looked shocked. Anyway, A more knowledgable waitress suggested I try the Smitty’s Pale Ale, which I didn’t even know existed. This Ale was a typical English ale, similar to Smithwick’s Ale, but with a more pronounced hop flavor. Nice addtition to their repertoire.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
YoungGunn (20) - Dublin, IRELAND - OCT 8, 2011
This was a super beer, and one I’m very proud to say that I had the privilege to bring you the first review of. Pours a light amber, clear. More amber than the ad’s might lead one to believe. The aroma is very, very pleasing. There’s notes of citrusy yogurt almost, like a Hoegaarden might have. There’s also the resounding malt and hop from the fast dissipating head. On first taste you realize the care that went into the malt that they so treasure. There is a beautifully smooth compliment of it and hops at the back of the mouth that just leave you gagging for the next sip. Maybe it’’s not overly complex with regards to bitterness or sourness but it does the basics very, very well. Don’t forget those subtle floral/citrus notes shining through with just enough give for the base flavor. Body is very well balanced with abv and alcohol ruining complexity is a non-issue. Overall I’d say this is a very good all year round beer, may be enjoyed with wholesome meals. But as the Irish tend to do, the overwhelming characteristic is balance, with a worryingly gorgeous drink-ability.