Smuttynose Belgian Style White Ale

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Tumbler, Weizen

RATINGS: 13   MEAN: 2.25/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.3   EST. CALORIES: 129   ABV: 4.3%
Hazy pale gold in color brewed with orange peel and coriander.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
omhper (19378) - Tyresö, SWEDEN - MAR 3, 2002
Pale yellow, hazy. Clean with some lemon peel flavour.

Aubrey (3432) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - JUN 21, 2001
Very aromatic and intensely flavored. A little ’sticky and sweet,’ but not enough to distract you from its other wonderful flavors and aromas. One of Smuttynose’s best, in my opinion. Not the greatest ’Belgian Wit’ I’ve had, but it’s definitely one of the best American-made Belgian Wits I’ve had! Cheers to Smuttynose.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 10, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 6, 2004 There is something wrong with this beer. If I had to guess too much orange peel, too early in the mash. That and not enough malt.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Gusler (2653) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - NOV 11, 2001
It has a decent nose, but the taste is weak, some malt and a little hop presence noted. Cloudy and a bit tart, but not a good offering from this fine brewery.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 16, 2002
Smells like urine, terribly unflattering. White head dissipates quickly. Coriander is evident and dominating, but thats about all this beer is. Coriander and some light carbonation. Orange and light fruit, banana, and nothing much. Terribly bland and flat.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
VENOM (941) - Connecticut, USA - OCT 9, 2001
I didn’t think it was vile but it was pretty lame for a white. Evident but unflattering orange/coriander mix. Crisp and bubbly with no head and no yeast sediment in the bottle. Also had a metallic coppery twang to it. My bottle was older so this may not be a fair review.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sammys (428) - Portland, Maine, USA - JAN 30, 2001
Had the classic Belgian white cloudy appearence, everything it should have been. This had a slightly more fruity aroma that I’m used to, and it carried through into the taste. Very mild aftertaste with citrus hints. A touch too sweet for the style, but I can see a lot of people potentially like this more than Allagash white. However, I feel that Allagash is more faithful to the style.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
Delbomber (387) - Philadelphia, USA - AUG 16, 2001
This is UNQUESTIONABLY, UNDOUBTEDLY, UNDENIABLY the most foul ’beer’ with which I have EVER had the misfortune and displeasure of crossing paths. I was first bludgeoned over the head by its bold, pungent TEQUILA aroma. Plain, translucent brown, I almost didn’t taste this. Fishman tasted it immediately before me and his reaction was so adverse that I would have been content to take his word for it. However, I eventually took a gulp and immediately regretted it, as it tastes quite disgusting, like a watered-down, carbonated tequila. I am going to have to change my ratings for Coor’s and Old English because they can not share the same rating as this...this IS the worst.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
jcalbi (378) - New Jersey, USA - MAY 4, 2002
Bright glowing yellow/straw color with low to nearly flat carbonation. Ever so slight fruity/yeasty aroma. Mild spiceyness hidden behind a citrusy spritz.Not awful, just plain dull, boring and uninteresting. Hoegaarden and Mannekin Pis are much better examples of this style.

AROMA 1/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 1/20
fishman (350) - Philadelphia, USA - AUG 19, 2001
I wish I could give zero ratings, just for thsi beer. It reeks of shitty tequila, and tastes about as pleasant. Now, I do like tequila, and sometimes I don’t even mind that its tainting my beer(Tequiza), but this was beyond foul. I thought for sure I was going to vomit from one sip. I think this experience shaved some years off of my life. I pray that this was bad, and it isn’t supposed to taste this awful.