overall

RATINGS: 1029   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%
For our hopping regime we went with Cascade and Nuggets in the boiling addition. Centennials were added every 5 minutes for the last 30 minutes of the boil. We added Crystals into the whirlpool. Dry hopping was done in both the fermentor after primary fermentation and the bright tank. We used a mixture of Chinook, Nuggets, and Sterlings in the fermentors and whole leaf Centennials in the bright tank.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
VA Homebrewer (525) - Portsmouth, Virginia, USA - JUL 14, 2003
Poured a hazy orangy-golden color with a nice, pillowy head. Wonderful citric, piney, resiny hop aroma and flavors wit hmild bready and cookie-like malts to complement. Hop flavors are strong from beginning to end, and the finish is moderately bitter. Mouthfeel and body are just right - not too heavy. In short - A big, fat IPA with plenty of hops and malt to balance.

jayme9874 (756) - Hamburg, New York, USA - JUL 5, 2003
Initial pour yielded a light amber/golden hue. Thin creamy head and lace. Lovely nose of juicey, piney, citrusy hop resins, caramel like malt, oranges, bit of peach and more. Medium bodied, soft, sweet malts to start with hints of orange and caramel. Big bittering hops provide a nice interplay of flavors. Dry bitter finish with sweetness creeping in. . Resiny aftertaste sticks. Wonderful balance and damn tasty IPA. they nailed it.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 6/20
ericnixon (738) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JUL 4, 2003
UPDATED: JUL 20, 2003 New Rating (7/20/03): I used to like this one a lot. this was in my personal top 10. I was sharing a bottle of this with Btownbrewer and his wife. When she tasted it, she said "ugh, this tastes like grapefruit!". now before this, i thought this was a great amazingly hoppy beer with a huge piney aroma. i will say there was something about it i didn't like but i couldn't decypher what it was. she totally hit it on the head for me. I HATE grapefruit...and the thing is that after she said that, all i could smell and taste was grapefruit. no more pine. just huge ungodly amounts of grapefruit juice. i tried for the next half an hour to put it from my mind, but i coulnd't. i ended up dumping it out. now when i smell amazingly hoppy beers, all i think of is grapefruit (yuk!). Old rating: Big Frickin' A IPA! Holy hoppiness! yummy stuff. my only somewhat complaint is the lingering bittah aftah taste, but other than that it's great. Amazing stuff, go out and buy it now!

jgb9348 (4652) - Arlington (Pentagon City), Virginia, USA - JUN 29, 2003
I've been waiting for a while to try this one, and when I found it, I picked it up in a heartbeat. This is tasted from a 22 ounce bottle, purchased at Beers of the World in Rochester, New York. The pour was very nice, a great darker golden colour -- on its way to a good amber colour, but stopped short. A good off-white head tops the beer and some orange highlights roam throughout the beer. To start off on the body, the pour was odd- it seemed that this beer was more of a barley-wine because it seemed really viscous. The smell is almost completely consisted of hops. A mouth-watering smell that will leave you wanting to take a huge gulp if you smell it a few times, then put it down. And the taste... A thick mouthful is the first feeling, then relieved by a nice mellow hoppyness and a strong malt flavour. The aftertaste is pretty bittering (a good thing) and there is some residual sugar in the palate. A pretty well done beer, almost at the line of drawing it an 'Imperial IPA', but I would still classify this as a normal IPA (as ratebeer has done :-). Worth picking up if you can find it roaming your store shelves!

apoptosis (1317) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUN 19, 2003
Dark golden color with a small lacing of head around the sides of the glass. Robust hoppiness in the flavor but there's a lot more going on than just the hops. It is a little chewy, and even cake-like. Smooth, yet sharp and bitter finish. A very good IPA that I look forward to having again soon. definetly a hint of sweetness, but not syrupy or too heavy. Just well-rounded.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
notalush (4788) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUN 19, 2003
This is some great stuff - highly hoppy, but not overly bitter - slightly sweet, bready - looooooong, hoppy finish that leaves the mouth watering.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mribm (457) - Ocala, Florida, USA - JUN 15, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 21, 2003 Re-rate: The last time I tried this it was lacking carbonation. This time it was well carbonated and better than before. I updated my rating due to the increased appearance of a head and the improved mouthfeel from the carbonation. I love hops and can't get enough of them. This beer was one of the hoppiest beers I've ever tasted! THIS IS GREAT if you are a hop lover like me. My only complaint was the lack of carbonation. Maybe I got a bad/flat bottle, but even so, I will try it again. I would have definately given this beer a higher rating if there was more carbonation. I will definitely re-rate this beer again, maybe the next time the carbonation will improve.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
UnionMade (621) - Connecticut, USA - DEC 24, 2002
These guys have balance down like they walk on a tightrope while they brew. Perfect maltiness to balance out the IBUs. Nice an hoppy, with a sweetness in the front peeling back to a crisp very bitter finish. Wonderful beer. Quite an IPA. The ’Killer Kielbasa’ should be proud.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
goz (359) - Chelmsford, Massachusetts, USA - NOV 6, 2002
Hazy orange with a small white head. Big floral aroma, and a big hop taste that lingers on.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
sloth (2452) - Ceciltucky, Co., Maryland, USA - OCT 13, 2002
Fruity nose, fruity flavors.We aint talkin pebbles!Got some malt in the background also. I think i,m detecting some alcohol? Nice white head, doesnt hang to long but thats OK! Good IPA. Nice bitterness. The clarity is the only drawback to this brew. Not that that matters though.Good beer, good drinkin beer.