overall

RATINGS: 1020   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.82   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%
For our hopping regime we went with Cascade and Nuggets in the boiling addition. Centennials were added every 5 minutes for the last 30 minutes of the boil. We added Crystals into the whirlpool. Dry hopping was done in both the fermentor after primary fermentation and the bright tank. We used a mixture of Chinook, Nuggets, and Sterlings in the fermentors and whole leaf Centennials in the bright tank.

lemasney (398) - Trenton, New Jersey, USA - JUN 1, 2008
ABV: 9.2% RateBeer rating: 97 Calories: estimated at 400 C Volume:22 fl oz Glass: tulip Purchased at: Canal Liquors, Burlington, NJ (Thanks Mike!) Price: $7.00 Consumed at: home First Impression: An amazing example of the style. Aroma is flowery, hoppy, and citrus. Visuals are a deep copper under a thin yellow white head. Visibly carbonated. Taste is a deep hoppy citrus & pine. Very nice example. I enjoyed it with a very spicy homemade chicken curry and some naan. Palate has a long beautiful finish. Tongue registers sweet, bitter, and salty. Second Impression. Amazing. An absolutely satisfying imperial double IPA. Aroma: 10 out of 10 Visuals: 5 out of 5 Taste: 10 out of 10 Palate: 5 out of 5 Overall: 20 out of 20

phikus01 (103) - New York, USA - MAR 5, 2013
Pours golden orange soft carbonation with excellent lacing. Marmalade cotton candy citrus pine hops. Delicious, balanced, like drinking an award winning homebrew not something so widely distributed.

gmorrow16 (5) - - MAR 24, 2013 does not count
Great double IPA has a mocha finish and gets better with each sip!! This is not for the faint of heart! has that great IPA flavor and you won’t be disappointed!! Top 5 IPA hands down!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
crazyvin (1859) - New York, USA - SEP 11, 2004
Wow! This beer was near perfect, pouring a hazy orange color. A frothy head which was ever so slightly off white almost a very pale yelllow. Aroma was really sweet with hop notes and some pine notes. Taste was really smooth although mostly hoppy, the inital taste had some sweet notes to it, not to sweet but just enough to take from the extreme hoppy edge

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
mribm (450) - Hurley, New York, USA - JUN 15, 2003
UPDATED: JUN 21, 2003 Re-rate: The last time I tried this it was lacking carbonation. This time it was well carbonated and better than before. I updated my rating due to the increased appearance of a head and the improved mouthfeel from the carbonation. I love hops and can't get enough of them. This beer was one of the hoppiest beers I've ever tasted! THIS IS GREAT if you are a hop lover like me. My only complaint was the lack of carbonation. Maybe I got a bad/flat bottle, but even so, I will try it again. I would have definately given this beer a higher rating if there was more carbonation. I will definitely re-rate this beer again, maybe the next time the carbonation will improve.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
gr8nhbrewer (11) - - OCT 8, 2013
A classic american India Pale Ale, check the dates it’s always better as fresh as you can get it, it’s my go to beer. Always enjoyable.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
redOaks (13) - - MAR 3, 2014
My go to for an east coast IPA. The hops are well blended nice and citrus like, great bitterness. Doesn’t age well, drink it as fresh as you can get it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
XHopsX (2) - - MAR 14, 2014 does not count
En mycket spännande lukt som slår hårt i näsan. Hög beska och mycket fin kolsyra. Fruktig men inte så att det tar över. Detta var min första Smutty och sen dess är jag fast. Mästerverk.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
zja (1) - USA - DEC 14, 2005 does not count
Poured the beer into two glasses.. one for myself and one for my father. Poured with some floaties - hopps or something. half way through I found myself doing the familiar slow-blink. strong stuff. This beer turned me on to IPA.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
mkgrenwel (557) - Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA - SEP 14, 2006
My god is this good. This is what an IIPA should taste like. I’ve found that the secret to a good hoppy beer is lots of malt, but with very light malts. This provides strong body and balance, but without becoming overly assertive. It gives the hops a table to stand on. Big A accomplishs this flawlessly. Huge resiny hops. Sticky, sweet and fruity. Grapefruit and pine. Entirely hidden alcohol. Strong bitterness, but in that smooth, rounded off warrior fashion. I’m damn impressed.