overall

RATINGS: 1824   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62/5   IBU: 74   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Smuttynose IPA is a physical salute to the glory of the American hop grower. The citrusy hop flavor coming from a mixture of Simcoe and Santiams is pleasantly balanced by a smooth bitterness from the Amarillo hops. The beer itself is light bodied and crisp with a golden color that will throw a slight haze, as we bottle it unfiltered. At 65 IBUís, this is definitely not a training-wheels IPA, but is meant for hop lovers looking to satisfy their craving in a way thatís not easy to find. We think theyíll be quite pleased.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 8/20
blinesam (235) - USA - FEB 22, 2007
i agree that this is not a training-wheels ipa but this beer more of an "extreme" beer than anything else. The beer is so hoppy that each sip give you a soapy taste. not my cup of tea...or beer

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
505 (271) - Echo Park, California, USA - FEB 21, 2007
Orange, with some sediment floating around. Nice little head. Aroma is fresh citrus. Flavor is pretty good, but not incredibly smooth. Nice . . . for an East Coast IPA.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Skeegle (566) - Maryland, USA - FEB 15, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 23, 2009 What a freaking GEM. I could write a book about this beer. But I wonít. Beautiful chunktastic yeastpuff neon gold color with a starched white creamtoast head. The flavor of this beer is one of a brightly citrusy IPA with an even brighter future. When you saw this beer ride its first tricycle you thought "it doesnít even need the training wheels!, thatís my son god damnit!" I thought that too--I was the creepy guy watching you watch your son ride his bike. I was drunk. On this, because itís so good! Sprites of parched laundry detergent, and oddly enough it is that unique grapefruit-laundry detergent taste that keeps me buying this beer every summer and winter. Smutty brews have a unique undertone to every beer that shows itís head the way homebrewerís who get all their ingredients from the same source will have, and in this beer the Smut is at full sail, and for me, full boner. Your son rides good. I seen him.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
lagomswedish (213) - UmeŚ, SWEDEN - FEB 15, 2007
Bottle @ Oliver Twist, Stockholm (thanks Thomas!) This is just what I needed on a cold, blustery night in the capital - a hop fix US style! Hazy copper coloured and short lasting head. Brutal hit of grapefuit and pine hop aromas that letís the tongue know whatís itís about to get itself into. Doesnít disappoint either, with a blast of sweet grapefuit rind, grass and caramel. Mellows out in the middle, to leave a long, dry finish. Great beer, fantastic label!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Beerdedone (3215) - Croydon, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 13, 2007
pours a nice hazy blond with a decent head. aroma of citrusy sweet hops, with pine and spice notes. flavor is a bold and intense hop taste,with a touch of malt. finishes dry & bitter

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
tronraner (2459) - Walland, Tennessee, USA - FEB 12, 2007
12 oz bottle. Pours hazy copper orange with beige floaties and a thin, dense, dull white head. The aroma has lots of grapefruit, some pine sap, and light toast. The flavor is assertive bitterness up front, with some typical grapefruit and grapefruit peel tastes. Some fresh wood tones come out in the middle, and the light toast that holds it together becomes more apparent. The finish is bitter and clean, and leaves an aftertaste of general bitterness and wamrth. All the flavors are quite well defined and clear. Tasty brew.

AROMA 2/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
peteport (6) - New York, USA - FEB 10, 2007 does not count
To me, this beer is a fugue between a hoppy bitterness and a caramel-malt undercurrent. Pours nicely, has a one inch foam head, somewhat cloudy color. I like this beer, but it isnít my favorite IPA. I am drinking from a 12 oz bottel which states best by Jan 07, and it is Feb 10 07, but I donít think that really matters. I prefer the Smuttynose pale ale over its IPA. Overall, though a good beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 8/20
kdrobb2k (24) - Willingboro, New Jersey, USA - FEB 10, 2007
Pours semi-clear with at small, quickly receding head. Aroma was faint. It has a bitter aftertaste with no hop flavor that you expect from an IPA. I cannot understand the high ratings for this brew. Smuttynose can and has done much better.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
RCL (2030) - Waltham, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 7, 2007
Perhaps I was expecting too much, but this beer disappointed me. Hops seemed to lack character, other than grassiness and the tiniest hint of floral aroma and taste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheKegergator (241) - California, USA - FEB 3, 2007
This is HOOOOPPPYYY!!! Man what good brew. I would place it about in between the Stone IPA and Ruination. Freaking great brew. The only thing that held it back was the lack of foam. It had relatively none and what was there faded instantly. Other than that. . . I need to trade for more. :banned: