overall

RATINGS: 1596   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.63   IBU: 65   EST. CALORIES: 207   ABV: 6.9%
Smuttynose IPA is a physical salute to the glory of the American hop grower. The citrusy hop flavor coming from a mixture of Simcoe and Santiams is pleasantly balanced by a smooth bitterness from the Amarillo hops. The beer itself is light bodied and crisp with a golden color that will throw a slight haze, as we bottle it unfiltered. At 65 IBUís, this is definitely not a training-wheels IPA, but is meant for hop lovers looking to satisfy their craving in a way thatís not easy to find. We think theyíll be quite pleased.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
aracauna (3084) - Georgia, USA - JUL 15, 2004
Slightly cloudy amber with a sizable cloud-like and long-lasting white head. I lean in for a sniff and jerk back in shock. This smells a LOT like Sweetwater IPA. Itís got the same hop complexity being a little bit herbal, a little bit grapefruit and a bit of peach/apricot. The flavor even has that bit of biscuit-like malt. The main difference is that the finish in this one is much more bitter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
TAR (2495) - Lafayette, Colorado, USA - JUL 13, 2004
Speckled tangerine. Foamy white head throws frothy rings all over the glass. Aromatic blend of sweet malts and citrusy hops. Graham, toast, pound cake, and fresh piney resin undertones. Lightly earthy and medicinal edge to the hops. Softly carbonated, eventually becoming creamy and full. Starts with sweet, tangy hop flavors with earthy and medicinal accents. Sweet malts and subtle graham notes pick away at the raw hop cone bitterness. Hop resin and impeccably rich malt layers coat the palate, which thickens the body and smoothens the bitter orange rind. Sweet resin curtails the trace acidity. Toasted malts continue to underlie the relentless bitterness, which climaxes in the finish, as beautiful hop pungency continues past the swallow. First bottle was tasty, but after three or four of these within a few weeks, this has become one of the finest IPAs in the land and one that has become more addictive with each passing day.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
argo0 (11533) - Washington DC, USA - JUL 13, 2004
Lightly hazed golden body topped by fairly large, persistent, off-white head. Aroma is medium sweet, grapefruit, orange, light pine. Taste is medium sweet, grapefruit, light caramel. Fairly strong hops, but balanced. Medium body, some resin.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
shameusburp (171) - Virginia, USA - JUL 13, 2004
UPDATED: JUL 30, 2005 Nice IPA. Balance of hops and malt. Finishes nicely for those who donít need to be hit over the head with bitterness. Re-rate: Great IPA but along the same lines of DFH, distinct sour citusiness which is interesting

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Falconseye8 (542) - Evans, Colorado, USA - JUL 8, 2004
Really liked my first Smuttynose lets see how I like this one. Excellent IPA!!! Particulates in my beer. Looks like lemon and grapefruit. Great malt, hops and balance. This is the best Smutty to date. Great beer, terrific flavor. Another beer this guy will be in acquisition mode for quite a while. Another if you havenít had this youíre really really missing out bigtime.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
axilla (962) - New Providence, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 2, 2004
Oranges and cloves with some coriander on the nose. I also smell a lot of pine. This somewhat muddy looking looking pale brown brew does have a very fluffy head with a lot of cling to it. Hops dominate the taste without being overbearing. Sweet balance going on here. One of the better ipaís Iíve had.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
BearBrewer (86) - New York, east village, New York, USA - JUN 29, 2004
really superb. Fantastic citrus aroma, very complex. Pours golden and clear with a formidable head. Very hoppy and sharp, cuts right through thick food like mexican. Really quite excellent, perhaps my favorite ipa.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
urbnhautebourg (997) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - JUN 27, 2004
Possibly the finest head I?ve seen on an IPA. After having had these on several occasions, I find the hops to be in great balance between herbal and citrus, but the flavor is something I have to drag out of it. There is more bitterness (in my humble opinion) than is registered in the ratings I have read. I find that it might hide some greatness. But there are some fine herbal and citric notes underneath it all. Here in Maryland, I have come to notice that we do not have a great selection of IPA. To be certain, there are some good ones, Victory, DFH, Avery and Alpha King come to mind. But this is an area of beer style in which I welcome more examples. I have a feeling I?ll buy this a lot, but I can?t quite crown this as the king of East Coast IPA.

bennygazooks (2) - Alabama, USA - JUN 23, 2004 does not count
Finally a world class IPA on the east coast. The NY Times was correct in naming this the best IPA in the world. Itís fairly new to the market so I would imagine a lot of folks have not tried it. Big nose, lace like fine Irish linen, bursting with grapefruiy, citrus, hops, an explosion of flavor in the mouth. The finish? Long, subtle, dances on the tounge. I want more!! I want my Smuttynose!!!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
cb (810) - Roeland Park, Kansas, USA - JUN 22, 2004
Tasty, full mouthfeel of powerful citric hops. Not much balance. I want the hops to be of high-quality and fairly complex if my mouth is made numb and palate wrecked as a result. (The reason why LaConner is top-notch) I donít think I can say anything more than what has already been said about this beer... it is a good session IPA.