Smuttynose Julio’s Ry(e)an Ale

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Shaker, Tumbler

RATINGS: 116   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.67   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
Rye ale aged in Sazarec rye whiskey, Buffalo Trace bourbon, and Four Roses bourbon barrels, brewed exclusively for Julio’s Liquors in Westboro. This beer was on sale on Sunday, May 23, 2010, at their 8th Annual Spring Beer Fest.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 1/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
suprchunk (2343) - Crestview, Florida, USA - FEB 26, 2011
Pours a dark ruby red. A little cloudy, but it is a rye beer after all. Good luck filtering those bright. Small light tan head that stays throughout the entire session. Smells of bourbon. Maybe a hint of vanilla and a slight woodiness. Something sweet in there as well. Bourbon. Right up front and in the back of every sip. Slight sweetness. No rye whatsoever. A little bit sour from the wood I suppose. A little hops, but barely there. Coats the mouth with a bourbon taste that sticks with you the whole time you are drinking this. Bit of residual sweetness left on the lips making them sticky. Like maybe I smeared a lollipop all over my mouth. Surprisingly drinkable in spite of the bourbon taste. The taste is all that is there though. So unlike other beers that age in bourbon barrels that crank up their ABV for some reason, making it undrinkable, this one is on the other spectrum; very drinkable. Although I might limit myself to a couple in a given night. Excellent beer that should be available at more places.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
SrSilliGose (3270) - pouring bus, New Brunswick, CANADA - SEP 11, 2010
UPDATED: MAR 5, 2012 bottle! a drunk rate. cotton candy, butter, musty mint. candied sugar.. boozy caramel. sweet brown sugar. sweetness brown. sugar syrup and muddled bourbon and rye. underwealming.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
thicksuds (438) - Massachusetts, USA - JAN 7, 2011
Aroma is very fruity and sweet, dark red murky pour, thick bubbles, looks almost like an iced tea that was shaken up. Taste is hard to describe, never had anything like it, not sure if I like it. There is a very strong taste of the bourbon coming through, its strong, and sweet, not really my thing, it could be because this is old, maybe it just didn’t age well, I was really interested to try it, but at this point I would say leave it on the shelf. My biggest disappointment from Smutty to date, whose beers I usually love. Too sweet and fruity, hint of smoke flavor as well.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 9/20
jrallen34 (3483) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 30, 2011
A clearish light brown beer, ugly. A light tan head ok retention, but watery lacing...The aroma is tons of bourbon, with rye and touch of spice. Too much bourbon for me, not balanced...The taste is more of the same, generic bourbon that most ok ba beers taste like, woodford reserve anyone? The bourbon dominates and I’m just not into it at all. Way to hot. Not worth trying.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 9/20
xmarcnolanx (929) - Kirkwood, Missouri, USA - OCT 19, 2010
Hey now buttery bourbon! Tons of butter, bourbon, caramel, vanilla, and a spiciness. Taste is slightly spicy, bourbon, butter, vanilla, and caramel. Finish is sweet, cloying, and butter. Ugh.

AROMA 3/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
MaBeer1972 (1368) - Taunton, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 31, 2010
Not very good at all. A thick and gooey beer that came out with a gusher! I didn’t like the aroma and taste at first, so I gave this the benefit of the doubt and let it warm up a bit. Still no good. The aroma is of fresh leather. The flavor is sweet, dark and mysterious. Heavy body. This brew goes nowhere for me.