Smuttynose Octoberfest

(RETIRED)
overall
Serve in Dimpled mug, Stein

RATINGS: 41   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.36   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Deep amber in color, this beer is available in August.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
HighGravity (926) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - OCT 12, 2002
This is a very festive beer indeed. The beer looks like fall in a glass. Malty and smooth with a slight noble hop finish. Very good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
dirtymike (2016) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - AUG 4, 2002
The best version I have ever had, my friend and i did a tasting 6 Oktoberfests and this one won the cake.Huge toastiness to balance,malt and hops.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
MartinT (8127) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - JUL 7, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 19, 2004 Playful caramel malt with assertive lemon hops…Loads of oranges unite the two but the game is not as lush and everlasting as I remember...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - FEB 26, 2002
Very enjoyable. Rich malty aroma, quite typical for the few Marzens I’ve had. It does have a smokiness that others have commented on, and, to my palate, a good twangy long-lasting bitterness. Lacks some of the Oomph of the Sudwerk Marzen.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 13/20
turtlehead (111) - Nottingham, New Hampshire, USA - JAN 7, 2002
This mildly malty October is more what I like. I am not a big fan of lagers, but with the malts this beer brings, I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing it next year. Thanks GB, P, and Olive. Cheers!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 14/20
Aubrey (3451) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - DEC 4, 2001
Clear, copper-colored; big head but dissipated quickly... and was gone. Starts smooth, finishes a little rough, carbonated, burnt, and smokey. Does have a nice roasted / woodsy flavor though. Left behind a dry bitterness in the roof of my mouth and a burnt, hoppy bitterness - as well as some sourness - on the back/sides of my tongue. Not bad, but a little overdone.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
Belgik (72) - Sterrebeek, BELGIUM - NOV 14, 2001
Beautiful color, deep amber, foams well. Forgot the aroma (not a ’live’ report, not noted...) Short in taste, not very good, really.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 10/20
Oakes (12788) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - NOV 11, 2001
Orangey-brown; caramel, light tobacco smoke; palate is light, good bitter backbone, caramel finish.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
daboskabouter (1470) - Fergus, Ontario, CANADA - NOV 11, 2001
AMber color. What seemed like a french fry (I know it sounds stupid, but that’s what I got) aroma. Bland I thought, but I don’t know if I’ve ever had a Oktoberfest that I loved.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
VA Homebrewer (525) - Portsmouth, Virginia, USA - OCT 2, 2001
Beautiful ruby color with subdued nose and head. Some fruity (grape?) aromas and minor hop notes. Malty up front with some hop undertones. Maltiness seemed to decline as the brew warmed. Enjoyable, but not quite as pleasing to me as Dominion Octoberfest.