overall

RATINGS: 1084   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.37   EST. CALORIES: 201   ABV: 6.7%
Old Brown Dog has been cited as a classic example of the "American Brown Ale" style of beer. Compared to a typical English Brown Ale, Old Brown Dog is fuller-bodied and more strongly hopped.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
GeniusGirl (221) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - OCT 20, 2004
bottle. aroma of root beer, light nutty aroma and... black olives (or am i just smelling this because the dog on the label is named Olive?) deep cloudy amber color... smooth palate, caramel notes... under alcohol notes... drinkable.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Lou18 (1353) - West Paterson, New Jersey, USA - OCT 16, 2004
Tap, Poured a deep brown, white lacy head,Aroma of malts and hops. Tastes dark and good mouth feel. Good,

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Cobra (1100) - - OCT 1, 2004
12 oz. brown, longneck bottle. Freshness date consists of a notch on the label, notched May, but no year. I suppose that means this year, but who knows? Itíd be nice to see a year as well, so we know when weíre getting fresh beer. Weak ppfftt when opened. Poured out a deep amber color, with no head to speak of, at first. I used my pocket beer engine to produce a head. It turned out to be tan colored, but loose and fast fading. Aromas are of sweet caramel malts, along with a slight mustiness. Some yeasty bread notes, and alcohol aromas abound. Tastes are of sweet malts, balanced by just enough bittering hops to make it not so sweet. Mouthfeel is on the thin side, and carbonation is weak at best. Finishes on the dry side, with hints of charcoal ash. Sorta like when you dropped your hot dog in the fire as a kid, but you brushed it off and ate it anyway. An OK brown ale at best, but not my cup of tea.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
5000 (6300) - Hardened Liver, Washington, USA - SEP 29, 2004
Bottle pours a brown tinted deep amber, small white foamy head, subtle lacing, with sparce lacing.   Aroma of toasted malts, light grain, and a bit of basement.   Sweet maltiness as I sip, leading to nice roasted malt trailer.   Medium bodied, average mouthfeel.   Slightly bitter finish.   Decent, but could stand to be a bit maltier & smoother.   Thanks goes out to slob for the trade!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Loddeer (171) - USA - SEP 27, 2004
Very dark tasting, with a nutty malt flavor with a hint of dark chocolate. I was expecting something a little lighter at the time, so I was a little taken back. Not that bad though, pretty smooth going down, and overall a decent dark ale. Smuttynose has some good microbrews.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
whaleman (2178) - North Wales, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 21, 2004
Draught. Nice chocolate and caramel flavor without excessive sweetness. Good spicy hop quality rounds this out. Not the least bit cloying, at least not in healthy doses. This is one of the best brown ales that Iíve had and was a definite crowd pleaser among the 10 people that I ordered this for at Murphyís in Hanover.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Pigfoot (2268) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - SEP 14, 2004
Lovely brown color, with a slight, tannish head. Aroma; mild, with some nuttiness, though it develops as we go on, becomes more chocolately and sweet. Taste: rich, delicious, malty. Medium body, but large maltiness, minimum hops. Niely balanced, easy-drinking, aflush with flavor, this is another in the Elite Corps of Brown Ales, Done Right! Yum, yum, I keep saying, and may I repeat....mmmm...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Kinz (3405) - Glen Allen, Virginia, USA - AUG 28, 2004
Medium brown, decent head. Milk chocolate aroma. Flavor had elements of cocoa, with a bit of roasted coffee, and a decent bitter finish. Quite a nice brown.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
JPDIPSO (4956) - Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 25, 2004
Brown with a hint of orange when held to the light. Dry malt, cocoa, and light mocha aromas. Fairly light on the palate. Sweet dark cocoa flavors with some light caramel and honey roasted nuts. Finish id rather thin and biting with a pine-like acidity. Thanks Falconeye8 for this brew.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
midgetbigot (1) - New York, New York, USA - AUG 20, 2004 does not count
Iím cheating on my boyfriend. Thatís right. Iím stepping out on Guinness. But, itís not my fault. And, when I think of my latest love I begin to drool. Being the generous soul that I am Iíll share his name with you -- Smuttynose Old Brown Dog. There I said it. Iím having an affair with a Smuttynose Dog. My dog doesnít have fleas but itís sure got some legs on it. One sip and I can feel it crawling all over my palette. Only itís me who ends up begging for more. Smuttynose Old Brown Dog is a deep brown amber. It reminds me of Guinness with itís chocolate coffee bottom note. But, where as Guinness is all chocolate and cream my Old Brown Dog has a bite to it. Itís a complex mixture that I canít put my finger on but itís both peppery-spicy and nutty. Itís this absolutely beautiful chestnut color and the head is light and creamy. Itís pretty malty (make that mmmmmmalty) and thankfully not very bitter (the web site list is 15 IBUs). The alcohol is 5.7% by volume.