overall

RATINGS: 696   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale is our homage to the craft and heritage of America’s brewers. Recipes calling for the use of pumpkins in beer date back to early colonial times, when brewers sought to extend their supply of costly imported malt with locally grown ingredients, such as squash and "pompions." In that spirit, we brew our ale with the addition of pumpkin to the mash, along with traditional spices to create a delicious American original.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - NOV 13, 2003
Hazy orange with a small tan head. Aroma is spicy pumpkin and allspice. The flavor is more pumpkin and some ginger. There is a slight sour alcohol taste and a bit of hop bitterness. Body is medium-light. Overall just OK.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
argo0 (11450) - Washington DC, USA - NOV 13, 2003
Cloudy orange body with beige head. Aroma is medium sweet, pumpkin, brown sugar. Taste is mild sweet, light pumpkin, kind of sits there. Light-medium body.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
Cobra (1100) - Banned City, - NOV 12, 2003
12 oz. brown bottle. No freshness date, which is par for the course for Smuttynose. I guess they don't want anyone to know they sell stale beer. Anyway, it poured out a bright copper color, with no head at all. Overpowering spices made for a nasty tasting beer in my book. I couldn't even finish it, it was so horrid. I won't be buying this swill ever again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jsquire (3436) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - NOV 7, 2003
Golden color out of the bottle with a soft spice nose and an attractive head. This is a solid ale with a strong malt backbone and nice hop bitterness in the finish. On top of that they added a well balanced addition of spice. All around solid beer with great seasonal additions. Thanks to frielock for this bottle.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 6/20
Rib Eye (147) - USA - NOV 4, 2003
Eh. Not really any pumpkin flavor to speak of. All this really is is a very dry, highly hopped and acidic ale. I won't buy it again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
aobecksy (700) - Middle of no where, Ohio, USA - NOV 2, 2003
Not the best nor the worst of the great pumpkin ale tasting of 2003. And I do LOVE a pumpkin ale!! This one was very drinkable, but lacked in spiciness.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
crazyvin (1933) - New York, USA - OCT 30, 2003
Had a nice octoberfest appearnce too it. Nutmeg and corriander was light on the nose. The taste was a little bit too hoppy and it overpowered the pumpkin taste.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
LiebeBier (808) - Annapolis, Maryland, USA - OCT 28, 2003
UPDATED: NOV 21, 2003 Two thoughts when I bought this beer - It will either be really good or really bad. Surprisingly it was just ok. Orange color was about all the resemblance to pumpkin I could detect. Somewhat spicy flavor. Limited aroma.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
tsarman (794) - Northern, New Jersey, USA - OCT 27, 2003
UPDATED: AUG 29, 2004 11/03 I don't know. It has the color but it felt really metallic. Not as good as the post road in my humble opinion. 8/04 Had this on tap. Where the heck is the pumpkin and it was so light colored. I feel like we got the wrong beer. I dont know.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 11/20
JahNoth (1039) - Rochester, New York, USA - OCT 23, 2003
Well, It's definately a pumpkin ale. First thing you notice is a definate orange in the pour. Very cloudy appearance with yeasty floaties. Pumpkin in the nose and flavor, with a lot of spices. Crisp bite and very tingly. This might be my last pumpkin beer for a while.