overall

RATINGS: 694   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.22   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale is our homage to the craft and heritage of America’s brewers. Recipes calling for the use of pumpkins in beer date back to early colonial times, when brewers sought to extend their supply of costly imported malt with locally grown ingredients, such as squash and "pompions." In that spirit, we brew our ale with the addition of pumpkin to the mash, along with traditional spices to create a delicious American original.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
frylock (1135) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - SEP 18, 2003
Nice hazy orange apperance. Spicy pumpkin pie aroma. The taste of pumpkin comes through nicely and is balanced well wtih the hops and malt. A good pumpkin beer

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - SEP 8, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 20, 2003 Clear amber with a solid white head. Big allspice pumpkin aroma. Medium body, ends with a spicy sweet tang. The best pumpkin beer that I have ever had.

ericnixon (738) - Portland, Oregon, USA - SEP 7, 2003
UPDATED: SEP 16, 2003 Re-rate 9/16/03 - I was so moved by this beer i wrote a poem to describe what i tasted: Pumpkin ale in an Unassuming bottle / Brown with a pumpkin Pictured on the label / Don’t forget the cute Smutty seal who sells / Good stuff and tells / Me to get drinking / Pours clearish golden / Like some kind of Molson / But the aroma tells me / Otherwise that there’s no / Compromise in drawing / Conclusions between the two / As the color in the glass / Kicks everything’s ass / Thin head on an orangy amber / Spicy aroma that does not waver / I tip the glass towards me to taste / And I’m taken to some other place / Riding the river of a tart pumpkin / A happy smile slides across my face / Sip again because it’s really something / Feels like the colors of fall are filling / Are twisting are burning in my mouth / Vibrant colors brought on by spilling / Spices something entices me to have / To want summer to end immediately / And plunge headfirst into autumn / And swaddle myself in the crispness / Of fall of it all and before I knew it / So suddenly / I saw my glass and my bottle / Were both empty / Thanking God I’ve got five more / I crack into another / Tip and pour / And start the ride all over . - 9/7/03 - At first I thought, "Oh great, not another crappy pumpkin beer." Oh, how wrong I was. Wonderful mellow pumpkin spiciness with a near-perfect orangy color to it. It had a refreshing perfectly balanced pumpkin/autumn-y flavor to it. I'm totally wanting fall to come now.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
mribm (457) - Ocala, Florida, USA - SEP 6, 2003
Bottled. Poured with very little head which left no lacing. The nose and taste were of pumpkin pie. Probably the BEST pumpkin ale I've ever had. All that was missing was Thanksgiving! Great pumpkin ale. With previous pumpkin ales, one was enough. I think I will buy more Smuttynose to welcome autumn.