overall

RATINGS: 234   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
One of the challenges here at Smuttynose is that we don’t have a pilot system, so we sometimes have to adjust recipes over time. This year’s version really seems to have hit that sweet spot of what we were attempting. Unlike the first vintage, which had a porter/chocolate character, we wanted something between an old ale and a barleywine. To add another element of complexity, we aged this vintage for one month on medium toast oak chips. Enjoy!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
MarkSachon (636) - Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 24, 2013
12 oz bottle. Wish I had a case of this delicious brew. Nearly perfect --- I wouldn’t change a thing with this recipe.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
tobias (203) - West Chester, Ohio, USA - MAY 31, 2013
22oz 2013 bottle: All I can say is wow! I really like this beer. Pours a rich mahogany hue with a short lived off white head. When I stuck my nose deep in to the glass the first thought that popped in to my head what bananas foster. Strong caramel aroma with banana, hints of cinnamon, vanilla, and rum. Flavors mimic the aroma. Alcohol is detectable but is works in this beer. In my opinion it helps to cut the sweetness. Soft carbonation. The finish make me think I was drinking dark rum, not beer. It might not be for everyone but I think it is worth a try at the reasonable price and unique flavor profile.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Beachmaster (174) - Oklahoma, USA - MAR 22, 2014
Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Pours a clear medium amber with a moderate khaki head which fades quickly but leaves good lacing. Nose is faint, but notes of caramel and medium roast malt. Taste is smooth and has notes of malt and caramel. Finish is long and pleasant, with a creamy mouthfeel. Very good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Marheb (2307) - Montréal, Quebec, CANADA - JAN 6, 2012
UPDATED: FEB 19, 2013 *(Cuvée 2010, 10,9%): J’ai vraiment du mal à comprendre la si basse moyenne compilé jusqu’à maintenant. Ils ne boivent clairement pas la même bouteille que moi, peut-être est-ce la 2009 qui est moins spectaculaire? Peu importe, cette bière est un chef d’oeuvre indiscutable. Magnifique couleur rubis sombre avec un nez explosif qui mérite une pause, le temps qu’on réalise que si les sucres sont aussi goûteux qu’aromatique le malaise de n’avoir qu’une seule bouteille va se faire sentir. En bouche c’est brillant, une tonne de fruits trop mûrs ayant macérés dans l’alcool, des amandes brulés, du chocolat noir et une amertume boisé qui chevauche splendidement l’effort du malt. J’aimerais qu’on me dise comment faire pour enlever des points.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
wertguy5313 (2) - - JAN 19, 2013 does not count
I love this beer. I normally like a really strong hopped up IPA but, this is especially awesome! It is on the sweet side with both aroma and tastes it does the trick with the palate. I would purchase often when going from hoppy to sweet. Good job.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Bulk_Carrier (2277) - Juneau, Alaska, USA - JUN 27, 2014
Reviewed from notes. This was poured into a pint glass and a snifter. The head lasted longer in the snifter than the pint glass but that was the only difference. The rest of the appearance had a nice looking hazy amber to brown to even some light black edges. There was about a finger’s worth of white foaminess coating the top of the beer. The lacing was somewhat speckled and had a glossy foaminess encircling both glasses. The smell took some light milk chocolate and roasted to a nice aromatic vanilla nuttiness. I believe the bottle I had was only two weeks old as I could definitely smell the alcohol on it. The taste took all of those previously mentioned smells along with the alcohol and added a nice light oakiness invading my taste buds. On the palate, this one sat about a medium on the body with more of a sipping sort of quality to it. This one is exactly sessionable as one might think. Overall, though I had this super fresh when I had it, I wouldn’t mind getting another one some day to age. This one definitely makes me miss New England as it was one of my all time favorite old ales.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ibrew2or3 (7107) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - NOV 1, 2010
Bomber pours clear brown with copper hues and nice looking tan head. The aroma emits rich dark fruity esters like cherries, prunes and concentrated prune juice as well as malts, biscuit, chocolate and a touch of earthiness. The taste is . . .Wow! . . smooth silky rich and yummy (where has this beer been?). I get smooth sweet malts mixing with ripe plums, ripe cherries and then chocolate, some toffee and faint earthiness. Lovely balance where harmony abounds. Well done.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
cmhs4au (5) - Williamsburg, Virginia, USA - MAY 3, 2012 does not count
Tasted at about 55 or 60 degrees. Aroma opened up from the beginning, even more so as it warmed a little. Caramel, was the most predominant note. Taste was sweet but not cloyingly so, heavy on the palate, alcohol warmed the back of the throat going down. Enjoyed immensely, would have been even better during the winter.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
RickRob925 (60) - Macclenny, Florida, USA - OCT 10, 2010
Very good beer. Gorgeous in color, nice caramel color. SWEET aroma. Definitely one of my top 5 beers. I can’t get over how good this beer looks in a mug. Definitely will be going back to try some more SMUTTY NOSE Brewing prod.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ljay6880 (475) - , Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 30, 2010
22 oz bottle served in a tulip. Pour was murky brown with three fingers of thick off-white head on top; this brew also features great retention and an above average show of lacing. Nose is apples, apricot, brandy, oak, malt, caramel, and notes of bourbon. Taste is right on par rocking lovely summer fruits that roll into the finish and linger with a bourbon/brandy tone. I am not sure if this was aged on either barrel, but if not, it somehow has managed to catch the essence of both barrels. This is truly a fantastic brew!