overall

RATINGS: 367   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.62/5   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 333   ABV: 11.1%
Old Ale (also known as “Stock” Ale), is a full-bodied beer with high levels of dextrins. In times past, this beer was typically laid up to mature, hence the name. The color varies from rich, dark amber to a very dark brown. This style features fruity, vinuous & deep, malty flavors, giving it an almost port-like qualities. Sight acidity is not uncommon.
Olive, iconic mascot & spirit guide of our brewery, first appeared on our Old Brown Dog label in 1994 & returned, thirteen years later, to pose for our Really Old Brown Dog, a luscious, malt-rich, full bodied “old ale” featuring deep notes of complex fruit. Much like our beloved Olive, this beer will mellow & age gracefully.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
MarkSachon (904) - Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 24, 2013
12 oz bottle. Wish I had a case of this delicious brew. Nearly perfect --- I wouldn’t change a thing with this recipe.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
tobias (208) - West Chester, Ohio, USA - MAY 31, 2013
22oz 2013 bottle: All I can say is wow! I really like this beer. Pours a rich mahogany hue with a short lived off white head. When I stuck my nose deep in to the glass the first thought that popped in to my head what bananas foster. Strong caramel aroma with banana, hints of cinnamon, vanilla, and rum. Flavors mimic the aroma. Alcohol is detectable but is works in this beer. In my opinion it helps to cut the sweetness. Soft carbonation. The finish make me think I was drinking dark rum, not beer. It might not be for everyone but I think it is worth a try at the reasonable price and unique flavor profile.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Beachmaster (444) - Oklahoma, USA - MAR 22, 2014
Poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Pours a clear medium amber with a moderate khaki head which fades quickly but leaves good lacing. Nose is faint, but notes of caramel and medium roast malt. Taste is smooth and has notes of malt and caramel. Finish is long and pleasant, with a creamy mouthfeel. Very good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
tsd08460 (775) - Marshall, Virginia, USA - JUL 9, 2016
Bottle from Whole Foods Fair Lakes Aroma: dark fruits, caramel Appearance: dark amber with an off-white head Taste: medium sweetness, medium bitterness, Palate: full body, creamy, soft carbonation, long finish, delicious

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Marheb (4769) - San Diego, California, USA - JAN 6, 2012
UPDATED: FEB 19, 2013 *(Cuvée 2010, 10,9%): J’ai vraiment du mal à comprendre la si basse moyenne compilé jusqu’à maintenant. Ils ne boivent clairement pas la même bouteille que moi, peut-être est-ce la 2009 qui est moins spectaculaire? Peu importe, cette bière est un chef d’oeuvre indiscutable. Magnifique couleur rubis sombre avec un nez explosif qui mérite une pause, le temps qu’on réalise que si les sucres sont aussi goûteux qu’aromatique le malaise de n’avoir qu’une seule bouteille va se faire sentir. En bouche c’est brillant, une tonne de fruits trop mûrs ayant macérés dans l’alcool, des amandes brulés, du chocolat noir et une amertume boisé qui chevauche splendidement l’effort du malt. J’aimerais qu’on me dise comment faire pour enlever des points.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
wertguy5313 (2) - - JAN 19, 2013 does not count
I love this beer. I normally like a really strong hopped up IPA but, this is especially awesome! It is on the sweet side with both aroma and tastes it does the trick with the palate. I would purchase often when going from hoppy to sweet. Good job.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Bulk_Carrier (3630) - Lake Champlain, Vermont, USA - JUN 27, 2014
Reviewed from notes. This was poured into a pint glass and a snifter. The head lasted longer in the snifter than the pint glass but that was the only difference. The rest of the appearance had a nice looking hazy amber to brown to even some light black edges. There was about a finger’s worth of white foaminess coating the top of the beer. The lacing was somewhat speckled and had a glossy foaminess encircling both glasses. The smell took some light milk chocolate and roasted to a nice aromatic vanilla nuttiness. I believe the bottle I had was only two weeks old as I could definitely smell the alcohol on it. The taste took all of those previously mentioned smells along with the alcohol and added a nice light oakiness invading my taste buds. On the palate, this one sat about a medium on the body with more of a sipping sort of quality to it. This one is exactly sessionable as one might think. Overall, though I had this super fresh when I had it, I wouldn’t mind getting another one some day to age. This one definitely makes me miss New England as it was one of my all time favorite old ales.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ibrew2or3 (8074) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - NOV 1, 2010
Bomber pours clear brown with copper hues and nice looking tan head. The aroma emits rich dark fruity esters like cherries, prunes and concentrated prune juice as well as malts, biscuit, chocolate and a touch of earthiness. The taste is . . .Wow! . . smooth silky rich and yummy (where has this beer been?). I get smooth sweet malts mixing with ripe plums, ripe cherries and then chocolate, some toffee and faint earthiness. Lovely balance where harmony abounds. Well done.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
cmhs4au (5) - Williamsburg, Virginia, USA - MAY 3, 2012 does not count
Tasted at about 55 or 60 degrees. Aroma opened up from the beginning, even more so as it warmed a little. Caramel, was the most predominant note. Taste was sweet but not cloyingly so, heavy on the palate, alcohol warmed the back of the throat going down. Enjoyed immensely, would have been even better during the winter.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
drmet (784) - Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, GERMANY - DEC 12, 2015
L: -pours a copper-brown with a medium,foamy,offwhite head -low carbonation visible S: -nutty,caramel,cinnamon,toffee,vanill tea T: -caramel,toffee,cinnamon,vanilla,syrupy,r finish F: -low to medium carbonation -light to medium body -alcohol very well hidden O: Mouthfeel is a little light.Otherwise a great Beer