overall
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 831   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.4   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
Copper-colored ale is medium-bodied and highly hopped. Its flavor is delightfully complex: tangy fruit at the start, with an assertive hop crispness and a long malty palate that one well-known beer writer has compared to the flavor of freshly-baked bread.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
PBOYNY (316) - Westchester, New York, USA - JUL 18, 2002
excellent pale ale, love the brewery!! somewhat sweet, and nice head, very refreshing!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
stephen (308) - California, USA - JUL 18, 2002
Not enough hop flavor and aroma. Somewhat toasty but needs more hop balance. An OK pale ale but lacks the PNW flavor that I love. Very much an English Pale Ale.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Volgon (2763) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - JUL 3, 2002
A decent English pale ale. A little on the thin side with a strong malt character.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Schroppfy (2360) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - JUL 1, 2002
UPDATED: MAR 14, 2008 Rerate, from bottle in 2007. Still a fine malty EPA, with a nice spicy hoppiness. Not as impressive as I once thought. Original: I am very impressed by this pale. It is certainly English-style, as the body-supplying malts give an amazing depth. I have never given a 10 for aroma until now...the hops are evident, but the soft malt calls...In flavor, it is highly hopped, but defines balance. Yes there is that bitter grapefruit, and it isn’t just the tongue and mouth that get it...you feel it in your whole head, deeply, and not just dry-hopping here. Wonderful beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
muzzlehatch (4424) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - JUN 26, 2002
5/19/02Perhaps it was the fact that I consumed a six pack quickly while tired; perhaps it was that I knew I had to work in 5 hours time; or maybe it could have been that I was in the process of getting told how the woman I’m going nuts over has no interest whatsoever in me; but whatever the case may be, I wasn’t concentrating as well as I might be on the finer points of this well-received brew. Nonetheless, I feel compelled to say that I found the nose weak; the earthy/herbal components that others have cited were noticeable, but not balanced with much in the way of sweetness or malt; and I thought the finish too bitter and thin. Not terrible (I did enjoy the six), but I’d have to try it again under better circumstances to say anything more than ’ehhh.’

6/26/02 Well my life’s no better, but this beer’s improved a bit in a month. Some time off from rating helps, maybe. Found some interesting cocoa there, and the hoppiness more pronounced. Not bad at all.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - JUN 16, 2002
Comes out swinging with the hops - sharp, distinct, spicy in nose and mouth. Reminds me of fermenting hay - you know, from a fine lush field that’s been cut and maybe rained on, lying there stewing powerfully in the sun. When I catch my breath to notice the malt - when the malt catches up, as it were, I’m a bit nonplussed - some nuttiness, perhaps, but not enough complexity to handle the big opening.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - JUN 3, 2002
deep gold/copper color. thinner body, medium maltiness. long hoppy finish. above average, but not by much!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 10/20
legion242 (2099) - Richardson, Texas, USA - MAY 31, 2002
BORING!!!! ’Engish-style Pale Ale’ my ass. How about, boring-ass attempt at a style that every damn American brewer feels like they have to try. ’think outside the box’ you morons!

Suttree (4902) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - MAY 28, 2002
A kind of ’dirty’ taste. Not bad, really, just a real earthy edge to it. Cool Label, too.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
canary dog (649) - Rutland, Vermont, USA - MAY 7, 2002
A very pleasant American pale ale. I found the finish to be nicely rounded, and not too bitter as one may anticipate at first. I look forward to drinking again, although it does not hold up admirably to salty food.