overall

RATINGS: 114   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.42   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
A superb example of an American Pale Ale. The Cascade hop flavor just explodes in your mouth. Combined with the clean malt character and smooth finish, you are left utterly wanting another when your glass is empty.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
beer200299 (13) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - FEB 21, 2002
Best pale ale I’ve had.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
beermatrix (1497) - Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA - JUL 9, 2003
Solid, but a bit lighter straw yellow in color, an inch high head of white froth, lumpy top sits long, fading slowly leaving lace in small sheets. Makes up for the lighter color. Smell is so yummy of citrus fruits - strong grapefruit, some peach, and light lemon, quite juicy and a slight piney fatness, good , no, make that great hop nose. Wiff in, ahhh.... Taste is quite excellent, smooth, but tight of quick malts then the hops enter with super smooth grapefruit, a bit of peach and a nice airy light finish of more grapefruity sourness and a pucker of drying. Quite a decent medium body close to full and lightly textured with some creamy features in the front and finish. One hell of a great pale ale, nearly beating out some IPA's I've had. Phoenix has a winner here in my book!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
spydog (75) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - MAR 30, 2002
Huge hop flavor. Similar taste to their IPA, though not as bitter. Hoppiest Pale I have ever tasted.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
lucklys (62) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - FEB 13, 2011
I barely poured half of the 22oz bottle into my snifter before the foam had built itself up to such magnificent proportions, I didn’t even want to add any more liquid for fear of the head overflowing. The thick, fluffy, easily 4 finger thick creamy head of nice, big bubbles sat upon a lovely, lightly hazy, golden-orange liquid. It stuck around until the very end with great retention and left behind thick sticky sheets of lacing - everything about this brew is just as Sonoran as the others. They are nothing if not consistent! --- I love watching the head continue to build upon itself in layers, only to fall slowly back down to a thin layer just on the top of the beer. It makes the whole drinking and reviewing process that much more satisfying. Sonoran brews are probably my favorite to drink thus far, and I am really eager to try the rest of their flavors and styles. The Burning Bird carried early wafts of a bright citrus that closely resembled grapefruit, a little bit of pine, and a very light malty sweetness that hid behind a delicately bitter blanket of refreshing hops. It was so summery in smell alone, I couldn’t wait to taste it and quickly dove in. --- I was not disappointed. Sure enough, I was definitely given what I paid for, and much more. The beer tasted just like it smelled, only with a bit more of a kick. There was the citrusy grapefruit right at the front of my tongue, but I found that as I sipped along, the grapefruit was pushed to the back of my tongue by some very light sweet malts and accompanied by a slight bitterness, probably due to the hops. The best part about the strength of the flavors, was that although they were more robust than the scent, the whole drink itself leaned more on the mellow side with a medium to light body and a very fine carbonation. --- Burning Bird starts off with a zesty beginning and smoothly melts into a dryer, bitter ending. I’m becoming a huge fan of bitter lately, which is not something I expected to happen throughout all of this tasting and writing. It is so easy to drink, I doubt I would have any problem (gracefully) sucking down two or three bottles on a hot summer evening here in Arizona.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
bbooth (115) - Gilbert, Arizona, USA - APR 5, 2002
This is a great Pale Ale. Great hop flavor and aroma. It has a maltly sweet start with a bug Cascade hop finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
CptAwesome (1) - Arizona, USA - AUG 16, 2006 does not count
Excellent AZ Brew. Great color and head. An easy poor, very easy to drink. I ahve enjoyed this beer on top at home (purchased keg through Tops in Tempe), at Papago Brewery and as of late have had a presence at Arizona beer fetivals.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
SSKD814 (854) - Pennsylvania, USA - APR 26, 2010
Thanks for the opportunity to try this beer! A-Body is a crystal clear golden yellow hue that pours with a massively soapy, foamy, puffy white head. Head eventually fades to 1/2 finger and has great retention from there. Lots of lacing is left all the way down the glass. S-Lots of citrus comes through first. Lemon orange and grapefruit juices are definitely the highlight of this but it has a nice accent of floral hops and a sweet pale malt backbone. T-Taste is similar to the nose. Juicy citrus flavors are upfront and the highlight of the flavor but there is a nice pale malt backing to it upfront. The hop profile almost immediately changes to floral as this one ends with a sharp floral hop bitterness and slight piny refreshment. What lingers on the palate is a long lasting minimally invasive resiny bitterness, piny refreshment, and citrus flavor. P-Medium tingly carbonation and nice smooth, oily body. O- This is a great APA and a great session beer. I wasn’t expecting too much from this brew but got a very nice, sessionable classic APA. One of my favorite APAs overall actually. My 2nd from this brewery-and I definitely like this one much better. Well done by this brewery I wouldn’t have ever known existed if not for this trade. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 03-26-2009 00:47:43

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
ultraspank (867) - Alverca, Lisboa, PORTUGAL - JAN 6, 2003
Had this on tap at the J.W. Marriot’s Meritage Steakhouse in Phoenix. Nose of detergent, citrus and spruce. This brew is a sparkling honey amber. The white frothy head is mostly lasting with good lacing. The flavor starts sweet and malty. The finish is slighty acidic and moderately bitter, nice complexity and balance. The light to medium body is dry and lively and feels astringent at the finish.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
mds (2240) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 22, 2004
330mL bottle. golden, translucent. bread-like frothy white head slowly diminishes leaving a nice lace. citrusy hoppy aroma is phenomenal: sour apples, grapefruit. Flavour is intense, the hops are perfect. This is a fantastic APA that I wish I could get more of.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
groovinhigh (170) - Asheville, North Carolina, USA - JAN 24, 2004
Absolutely amazing aroma!! Nice hop flavor, though a little more than most Pale Ales... this isn't a negative, but it tastes more like an IPA.