Southend Coconut Chocolate Porter
     click to upload

RATINGS: 1   MEAN: 2.6/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.73   SEASONAL: Special   ABV: -
tís a medium bodied, creamy, chocolately coconut porter, into which we dumped roughly 80 pounds of hand toasted coconut. Itís our attempt to prolong summer just a bit longer, with a tropical fruit beer-fusion!

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 12/20
smcolw (530) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 27, 2009
Deep brown color where light can pass. There was no head or lace on the glass. Nearly no smell, even after drinking some and stirring the remaining contents. The flavor is like a cross between a brown ale and a porter. Perhaps it was my imagination, but I detected a little bit of coconut in the background; Iím not sure if I would have noticed with out the prompting. My largest complaint with all of Southendís beers is that they come across as watery--this is no exception. The carbonation is finer so thatís an improvement. The swallow has enough hop to give this beer good balance and complexity.