overall

RATINGS: 445   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71/5   EST. CALORIES: 248   ABV: 8.25%
You hold in your hand a stout for stout lovers. Buried Hatchet is brewed with a large quantity of brown malt reminiscent of a traditional pre-Industrial Revolution malt profile. This stout is full of robust, roasted flavors which intermingle with a bittersweet creaminess that concludes to a perfect, warming finish.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
NachlamSie (3210) - Denver, Colorado, USA - APR 1, 2010
can from Binnyís. I canít believe Iím going to say this, but here is a classic example of imperial stouts being overrated. Let me make clear that I love the style and most of my favorite all time beers are imperial stouts. But here are my thoughts on this particular beer. I cracked open a can and poured it into a glass on this fairly warm spring day. I wasnít really in the mood for a stout, but I need to clear out the more winter-type beers before they get too old and I want to clear the way for more pale ales and hefes and the like. With this attitude, I was relieved that a more brown and lighter bodied liquid filled my glass. The aroma is mild, nutty, and milky with minimal roast. Pretty light palate on this one too. Itís almost, just almost refreshing in the heat. So my first thought is, "hey, I like this beer alright. Itís a nice lighter bodied,more sessionable stout. But I bet the ratebeer community is gonna score it kind of low because itís not a roastier, heartier ale." Thatís fine, people on the site like bigger beers, Iím not entirely exempt from that. So I log on to post my thoughts and I discover itís rated a 96!! Now, I like the beer pretty well, but I thought 96 was kind of generous. Then I see itís listed as an imperial stout. wtf. There is no way this is an imperial stout. This beer is simply too light to really be an imperial stout even if the alcohol is by some fluke actually that high. I can only assume that itís rated so high because itís labeled as being an imperial stout on the site. Maybe Iím wrong. I donít know. Anyway, this is an average, sweeter stout. I ponder if lactose is used in this because it certainly has a milky quality along with the malty, chocolatey flavors. The palate is creamy. Finish is quick with hints at hazelnut, milk, and chocolate. Decent lighter bodied stout.
Okay, okay. After I posted my rant/rating I read the other reviews. Many people made positive comments about it being a stout/brown ale hybrid, or being a sweeter stout masking the alcohol. Fine, thatís fair. I stand corrected.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
ketchepillar (1184) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - MAR 31, 2010
Can. Lots of roasted barley and higher end crystals. Kinda harsh, particularly in the finish. Itís an odd malt harshness that isnít quite astringent. Noticeably melanoidiny. Similar to my own RB stout

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Angelmonster (179) - Colorado, USA - MAR 30, 2010
Pours a 2 finger cappuccino head. Body is extremely dark brown with some crimson highlights. Head retention and lacing are above average Aroma is of roasted malts similar to a brown ale. There is also sweet milk chocolate, slight coffee, and some bubblegum fruitiness that is ofter found in Belgian ales. Hops and alcohol are very faint Taste is smoky burnt malts. Similar to a scotch ale but with the addition of chocolate and coffee flavors. Pretty sugary beer that helps to mask the alcohol which at almost 9 percent is apparent but not overwhelming. Hops are slightly in the background. Mouthfeel is good. Lots of carbonation for this medium bodied beer. Wish head contributed more to the overall consistency. Drinkability was good. Sessionable for a strong stout. Not as good as the Left Hand Fade to Black I had acouple days ago but few beers are as good as that one. This beer has nice qualities of an Imperial stout, brown ale and scotch ale all packed into a can, would drink again.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
CanIHave4Beers (3942) - Pouring Bus, Iowa, USA - MAR 30, 2010
Texas goes to Iowa 2010, thanks Sam. Pours a deep brown with a small head. The aroma is milk chocolate and lots of deep caramel and roasty tones. The flavor is lots of the same the chocolate, the oatmeal, the mocha like bitterness, the roastiness, this is some tasty stuff.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
msante79 (2224) - Mount Prospect, Illinois, USA - MAR 28, 2010
12oz can from Orland Park Binnyís single rack. Pours dark brown with one finger tan head. Aromas of roasted malts, chocolate, and caramel. Flavors of roasted malts, coffee, and light chocolate. Finishes dry and roasty with some coffee bitterness. Mouthfeel seems a little thin. Decent stout.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Ratman197 (12818) - Arvada, Colorado, USA - MAR 28, 2010
Can poured a clear dark brown with a lingering ring of tan foam. Aromas of coffee, roasted malt and bitter chocolate. palate was medium bodied and smooth. Flavors of coffee, bitter chocolate, roasted malt and light earthiness with a smooth dry lingering coffee finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
fata2683 (2176) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - MAR 26, 2010
can, pours dark brown nearing black with a tall frothy tan head. Aroma is mildly roasty, but has lots of nutty notes and toffee. Flavor is super rich, and creamy. Brown sugar, some chocolate malt, toffee and lots of it. Ends with light alcohol notes and a lingering coffee flavor. This really is damn good, itís like a hybrid strong brown ale and RIS.

hopscotch (10532) - Vero Beach, Florida, USA - MAR 25, 2010
CanÖ RBWG Ď10Ö This beer rocks!Ö Pours a clear, very dark copper with a mid-sized, creamy, beige head. Great retention. Chocolaty, nutty, mocha aroma. Medium to full-bodied with moderate carbonation. Nice, sweet mocha flavor and finish. Thanks a million to thickfreakness for shipping the cans of this simple, but world class stout to the F-L-A!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
pete4999 (1406) - Buffalo, New York, USA - MAR 22, 2010
Can courtesy of Howardf from TBS...thanks! Pours a deep, opaque brown with a tan head. Smell is nutty with caramel. Taste is different though...slightly nutty up front with a delayed coffee finish. Dare I say thereís a bit of a bitterness in the lingering finish. Very good.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
Rciesla (5500) - Exit 15W, New Jersey, USA - MAR 21, 2010
Canned. Pours a dark brune body with an off white head. Dark and malty with a light coffee roast. Lactose and licorice notes. A mild creamy body with soft carbonation and a mild warming. A mild roast y finish imparts a nice bitterness. Decent IS.