overall

RATINGS: 396   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.52   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%

”double spiced ale brewed in the tradition of Swedish Glögg”

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
solidfunk (5254) - Washington D.C., Washington DC, USA - NOV 27, 2012
Smells pretty decent. A big improvement from the Great Lakes Christmas I had earlier. Aromas of ginger and lots of clove. Pours red clear with a little lacing. Palate is watery but spices are well integrated. Taste isnt overly sweet. Works well. On tap at Blue Monk.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Thewade (340) - USA - NOV 27, 2012
UPDATED: MAR 19, 2013 Nice brew. Not too spicey. Well balanced with figs and orange peels. A little more subtle and smoothe compared to other Christmas brews I’ve had.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
chickenflea (350) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - NOV 27, 2012
I love a good malty winter warmer, and this one is a beaut! The 2XMas pours a dark ruby red color with a very small beige head. The head leaves some nice lacing around the glass. The nose is full of spices, including cinnamon, clove, nutmeg, allspice and a hint of ginger. This is one of the most aromatic beers I have ever encountered. The flavor is syrupy sweet. Just a touch of hops makes this beer very drinkable. Smooth texture and medium body. A rather dry finish for the style kept me ready for every sip. Another quality beer from one of my favorite breweries.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
matthewjk (977) - San Diego, California, USA - NOV 26, 2012
Whoa Hohoho my fellow ratetarians...I will tell you straight up that I think most Christmas ales are not appealing to me; however, S.T. is so damn good at what they do, they blew this one up! My sense of smell is terrible, but even I can detect the fantastic fruit cake aromas of this thing. The beautiful mahogany color will catch your eye. Your nose and tongue will like this one; all the seasonal aromas and flavors are accounted for. Finish has a little alcohol on it, but I like it. The best beer in "Christamas Ale" category by far.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
OnWisconsin (132) - Wisconsin, USA - NOV 26, 2012
UPDATED: FEB 24, 2013 Color is an incredible ruby red with a white head that disipates very quickly. Aroma is out of this world with tons of ginger and some cinamon. I was so hopeful after the aroma but the taste just wasn’t there for me. It was overpowering in cinamon. I could not figure if it was the carbonation or the spices that was sharp on my tongue. Mouthfeel is very light with very high carbonation. Hoping the taste improves as it warms.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
swoopjones (6908) - Buffalo, New York, USA - NOV 26, 2012
#3800. Draft at blue monk. Flat looking cola colored pour. Aroma of cinnamon and allspice. Christmas flavors, cinnamon, allspice, candied oranges. Fuller mouthfeel. Decent.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
durhambeer (2500) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - NOV 25, 2012
Another surprise here. On draft at the Thirsty Monk in Asheville. Pours light ruby with a beige head. Nose is spice of Christmas cookies: cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, clove, perhaps cardamom and coriander. Usually this is not a good mix for me, but this one works. Tastes like a Christmas cooking, replete with icing. Who knew?

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TheEstimator (27) - Maryland, USA - NOV 25, 2012
Gorgeous ruby red shades with a tan uninspiring head; nice malty, sweetish tones with hints of citrus peel, ston fruits and muted spices. Very pleasant to drink! A winter warmer; that’s for sure. Gets better as it warms up a bit. Well balanced; another strong, well-made offering from this, one of my consistently reliable favorites, Southern Tier. Luv what they do!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
TheBeerGod (5568) - Newport News, Virginia, USA - NOV 25, 2012
Bottle. Ruby-copper with a short, tan head. Aroma is strong spices, caramel, herbal notes and faint medicine. Taste is strong spice notes, soft booze, rich caramel, sweet malt, herbal notes, and ginger. Body is medium with a chewy feel and a moderate, dense, bubbly carbonation. Finishes with more up front spices, caramel notes, chewy malt, light booze, ginger and herbs.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Ron (3002) - Rochester, New York, USA - NOV 25, 2012
On tap at MacGregor’s. Pours a deep red with a very small off-white head. Very warm, inviting aroma of spice, ginger, fruit, and some Pumking. It definitely smells like the holidays One of those beers I find myself continuing to smell. Taste is sweet and full of spice. The finish is not surprisingly spice. Medium to full bodied, soft carbonation. Very nice holiday beer.