RATINGS: 1604   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05/5   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
ďthe ancients called it Ďfood for the godsíď The Popol Vuh, the sacred book of the Maya, unfolds a complex web of mystery around a beverage known as xocoatl (ch-co-atle). At Southern Tier, weíre not surprised that hieroglyphs of the ancient Maya depict chocolate being poured for rulers and gods. Even through the many voyages of Columbus, the mystical bean remained nothing more than a strange currency of the native peoples. Moving through centuries, the circular journey of cacao has been realized in our brewing house, encompassing the complexity of the darkest, bitter-sweet candy together with the original frothy cold beverage of the ancient Maya to bring to you our Blackwater Series Choklat Stout. We have combined the finest ingredients to tempt your senses & renew the power & interrelation of history in every bottle.
2013 vintage - 10% abv

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ibrew2or3 (7661) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - MAR 1, 2008
Courtesy of Gillard, thanks buddy. Pours dark with dark tan head and spotty lacing. Wow. Nice rich chocolate aroma. Lots of milk chocolate mixed with malt balls. No sense of fruity esters or alcohol of any kind. Amazing considering the ABV. Taste is just like I was expecting from the aroma with creamy rich mild chocolate to start with ribbons of dark chocolate. I also get malt balls drizzled with vanilla and bits of licorice. Riding in the back is highly roasted malts that grow more and more roasty until they taste pretty much burnt and charred into the finish. The after taste makes me think I just had a rich chocolate cake. Another very nice offering from these fine people.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
JMFG (1587) - Florida, USA - MAR 1, 2008
Courtesy hopscotch. Black pour, thin coating of dark tan head. Aroma of a pile of milk chocolate shavings, unique in the sense that theres no real significant roast component, just all chocolate. Same can be said for the taste, alkaline notes mixed with sweetness, like true chocolate. A chocolate bomb.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
douglas88 (7582) - Portland, Oregon, USA - FEB 29, 2008
Bottle thanks to beerbill. Pours a dark swirling brown with a thick beige head. The aroma is amazing; itís like walking into a fine Belgian chocolate store, with melted chocolate and pastries all over. So damn good. The taste is just amazing; the richest, best, and creamiest chocolate in the world bottled. No alcohol at all noticed. This beer seems controversial, I guess it is really over the top, but with the best ingredients possible, I am not a hater of this. In fact, I love it. Not everyday, but once in awhile it is so tempting.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 4/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 8/20
ante (3374) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - FEB 28, 2008
Bottled at Oliver Twist, Stockholm. Oh, dear, what a mess. Opaque black with with no head to mention. Big, sweet and bold aroma of chocolate sauce. Full-bodied and cloyingly sweet one-dimensional flavour of chocolate sauce and peppery alcohol. Thick and syrupy mouthfeel. Long finish of chocolate sauce, brown sugar and peppery alcohol. A few sips were enough.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Quake1028 (633) - Tampa, Florida, USA - FEB 27, 2008
Courtesy of Gillard. A personal trade for this never happened, so I was very excited to try this.

black as night, oily body...tan head, about 2 finger thick and lasting...excellent lacing...nose is full on and immediate - dark bakers chocolate, chocolate frosting, fudge, fresh baked brownies, some chalkiness and dust, but they actually enhance what is going on here...no sense of the ABV in either the aroma or the flavor...dark chocolate, fudge, chocolate syrup, some vanilla extract and a touch of roast make up the flavor profile, but chocolate in all forms is the star of this show...definitely a sweet tooth soother...medium-full bodied, creamy as hell and a pleasure to drink...great mouthfeel...finish is again chocolate, vanilla and then of course more chocolate...

Awesome beer. This brewery is responsible for two of my very favorite beers (Pumking and Jah-va), and this one is right up there with those two. Silly Swedes ;).

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 5/20
omhper (21867) - TyresŲ, SWEDEN - FEB 27, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 23, 2012 Bottled at Oliver Twist, Stockholm. Almost black, no head. Powerful chocolate sauce aroma with a touch of vanilla. Very sweet and extremely syrupy with hard metallic, yet sticky mouthfeel. Flavour is chocolate sauce, chocolate sauce and chocolate sauce. Itís near full bodied, but with the most simplistic body you can imagine. Finishes with more chocolate sauce. Iíve tasted beers before that I could imagine would go well with vanilla ice-cream, but this is the first that requires it. Probably the most one-dimensional 11% beer ever made. Oh well, Souther Tier is constantly putting out this type of gimmicky underwhelming big beers. To me they are the most overrated brewer on Ratebeer, and this is their most overrated beer. A nip of this would be fine - itíd be like a cheap, sticky chocolate brandy. A bomber is way out - something Iíd never dream of finishing.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - FEB 26, 2008
What a treat. this poured out black and rich with a small tan head. The aroma reminded me of when I make double chocolate biscotti, very rich in the chocolate with some notes of anise and coffee evident. The flavor is comparable to said biscotti: rich, full, chocolaty and pleasurable. Excellent. Sampled on a night of beer and chocolate but this one contained both in one shot.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
WeeHeavySD (3361) - Portland, Oregon, USA - FEB 26, 2008
UPDATED: DEC 22, 2008 On tap its just as stellar! Bonus Bomber from Phhd, shared with my Girlfriend Cyn, Iíve been pretty excited about this beer since I first found out about it. And this is pretty much my last big beer from Southern Tier I havenít had. Pours Black with a ring of light brown/tan. The nose is the most amazing chocolate nose I could pretty much imagine its intense. The taste is rich and extremely chocolately. I wonít say tis complex but this is really freaking good, its the most chocolately beer Iíve ever had and its an imperail stout to boot. Holy crap this is damn good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
StFun (567) - Indiana, USA - FEB 24, 2008
UPDATED: MAR 13, 2008 "What every chocolate beer should taste like" according to my GF. GMCC hooked me up HUGE here, sending me his personal bottle so that I could give this one to my girl for Valentines Day. Paid off huge. This beers smells exactly like tootsie rolls. Gives way to a GIGANTIC HEAD, that tastes like Nestle Quick, and looks just like a chocolate milkshake (no joke). Thick, thick lacing that takes forever to go down. Just a thick brew all the way around! Flavor is very creamy, and is thick on the palate. Slight slight coffee, but this beer tastes like a Tootsie Roll Milkshake. I challenge anyone to find a tootsie roll milkshake, then tell me it doesnít taste exactly like this beer! Very delicious and very yummy. Too much chocolate for my personal taste, but this is my girlís new # 1 brew, and one that I would drink GLADLY every couple of months! Thanks again to GMCC!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
NachlamSie (3060) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 24, 2008
UPDATED: JUL 7, 2010 Bomber, big thanks to Tronraner. Pours rather black with very dense lacing. In the light, I can see a definite ruby layer near the top. Aroma = chocolate. Flavor = chocolate. This is ridiculous. Iím not sure how to score something like this. On the one hand, this is basically a dark chocolate bar melted down, so it is rather one dimensional and Iím not chocolateís number one fan. On the other hand, it is a fairly appealing flavor and it is a commendable feat in brewing. The only thing I can really feel comfortable saying about this drink is that it is by far the most chocolaty beer Iíve ever had.
[Feb 25, 2008]
I just wanted to add the following: I drank a glass of Southern Tier Choklat. I then drank at least three more beers. Then I ate dinner and brushed my teeth afterwards. I awoke this morning and still tasted chocolate on my breath.