RATINGS: 1598   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
“the ancients called it ‘food for the gods’“ The Popol Vuh, the sacred book of the Maya, unfolds a complex web of mystery around a beverage known as xocoatl (ch-co-atle). At Southern Tier, we’re not surprised that hieroglyphs of the ancient Maya depict chocolate being poured for rulers and gods. Even through the many voyages of Columbus, the mystical bean remained nothing more than a strange currency of the native peoples. Moving through centuries, the circular journey of cacao has been realized in our brewing house, encompassing the complexity of the darkest, bitter-sweet candy together with the original frothy cold beverage of the ancient Maya to bring to you our Blackwater Series Choklat Stout. We have combined the finest ingredients to tempt your senses & renew the power & interrelation of history in every bottle.
2013 vintage - 10% abv

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
TyRip (40) - Canton, Ohio, USA - JAN 14, 2008
An aggressive pour yielded a two finger head that lasted for only a couple minutes. I think I may have appreciated it more if I hadn’t read the reviews beforehand, but all the reviewers that cited tootsie rolls were dead on. My wife tried it, and without ever hearing me say anything about it or reading here, immediately said "Mmmm, tootsie rolls!" It was just a little too one dimensional for me. The alcohol was extremely well hidden, however. I can definitely tell while I am trying to write this review that it did give me the full 11%... The drinkability was not great, but I did figure on that. It was a good brew, and they did get the amount of hops perfect to balance and clean all that chocolate up, but it just wasn’t that great overall in my opinion.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
heylrule (46) - Frederick, Maryland, USA - JAN 14, 2008
AMAZING SMELL!!! poured a tad lighter than I expected dark brown, not much head. instant taste of choklat. This beer is very filling. I would say this is a must buy for not only the taste but the price!!!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TopherDrinks (96) - Poughkeepsie, New York, USA - JAN 13, 2008
Bomber. Pours very dark and opaque brown with a small tan head that dissipates quickly. Nose of freshly melted milk chocolate bars, strong waves of alcohol, sweet malts, and mocha. Taste is not as chocolaty as the nose suggests but is still abound with sweet chocolate malts, Hershey bars, mocha, roasted (bordering burnt) malt and coffee beans. The finish is similar to a chocolate liquor as it is hot, viscous, and chocolaty sweet! This has a velvety smooth consistency with a slight drying, bitter finish. Fantastic for dessert.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
mkobes (2142) - paramus, New Jersey, USA - JAN 13, 2008
On tap at BT. Deep dark brown in color with a little off white head. Chocolatety roasty aroma. Caramel toffee notes. Chocolatety malty flavor. Very chocolatety. Sweet tasting. Full bodied. Finish is sweet chocolate. Drinkable.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Braudog (6041) - Phoenix, Arizona, USA - JAN 12, 2008
Draft at KClinger’s. I got the last of the keg. Very nice aroma, almost of chocolate liquour. Thick foamy top, lightly laced. Wow, this is nice and creamy with a dark chocolate character, like homemade chocolate milke with just a bit of alcoholy bite. This rocks. (#3287, 1/10/2008)

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
shigadeyo (3348) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JAN 12, 2008
UPDATED: AUG 19, 2009
1/12/2008: Wow! Southern Tier Imperial Choklat Stout smells just like a chocolate fudge bar with hints of Tootsie Roll! My wife thinks it smells a bit like Hershey’s Syrup or a chocolate cupcake dusted with powdered sugar. It has a dark brown color (like liquid milk chocolate) and looks opaque in the glass. There is a very small brown head that doesn’t stay around long. The flavor is like fine, dark chocolate blended with Tootsie Roll, sweet roasted malt, and a splash of vodka. Some bitterness is evident in the finish which is good because not only does it add just the right amount of bitterness, but it is a good reminder that this is acutally a beer! The body of this beer is medium-full and it is really smooth and creamy on the palate. This is tasty stuff. My wife really, really likes it too! This is probably the best "chocolate" stout I have ever had...

650 ml. bottle / Alc. 11% by Vol. / 27° Plato / 195° L / 2-row pale malt, caramel 60 malt, barley flakes, chocolate malt, bittersweet belgian chocolate / kettle hops: chinook & willamette. Rating #124 for this beer...

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
pantanap (3366) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 12, 2008
UPDATED: JAN 14, 2008 bottle....poured like your average imperial stout. almost black with a thin tan head.....aromas of cocoa puffs and powdered chocolate milk....tastes like liquid cocoa powder but more like a tootsie roll which i tend to enjoy....overall points for the tootsie roll character but points taken off for being too one dimensional.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
mabel (7455) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 12, 2008
[967-20071215] Tap @ Cole’s (Buffalo, NY). Rich chocolate malt lactose roast aroma, very much like a tootsie roll swimming in thick syrupy hops. Black body with a medium-lasting foamy light tan head. Thick and rich chocolate tootsie roll flavour. Full body is a little bitter. Love it, love the chocolate, nice bitter balance.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
dlovell2 (1311) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - JAN 12, 2008
WOW! Black color with tan head. Cocoa aroma. Usually a chocolate beer has a hint of chocolate taste, this one has a very distinguished taste of chocolate. The first taste is unsweetened cocoa followed by some hoppiness then the alcohol lets you know its there. Chocolate aftertatste. I enjoyed this unique brew. This is only the second beer I’ve had from Southern Tier but it is quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 13/20
TheRealBastard (145) - The-No, California, USA - JAN 12, 2008
This one is too sweet for me, not my kind of beer. Better than Rouge’s chocolate, but still not a beer I would buy again. Murky brown pour with almost no head. The best part of this beer is opening it and getting blasted by incredibly bold chocolate aromas. Practically fills the room. Good beer just too sweet for me to drink.