overall

RATINGS: 1555   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
“the ancients called it ‘food for the gods’“ The Popol Vuh, the sacred book of the Maya, unfolds a complex web of mystery around a beverage known as xocoatl (ch-co-atle). At Southern Tier, we’re not surprised that hieroglyphs of the ancient Maya depict chocolate being poured for rulers and gods. Even through the many voyages of Columbus, the mystical bean remained nothing more than a strange currency of the native peoples. Moving through centuries, the circular journey of cacao has been realized in our brewing house, encompassing the complexity of the darkest, bitter-sweet candy together with the original frothy cold beverage of the ancient Maya to bring to you our Blackwater Series Choklat Stout. We have combined the finest ingredients to tempt your senses & renew the power & interrelation of history in every bottle.
2013 vintage - 10% abv

bigbeersilove (10) - lansing, Michigan, USA - FEB 3, 2008
had this at brannigan brothers in downtown lansing. when it was opened, the room filled with the smell of chocolate. thick and rich, this was like drinking liquid chocolate. i really can’t say anything bad about this one. as it sat and warmed up, the richness improved, it was truly a wonderful stout.

Funknmilla (693) - Wayne, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 8, 2008
UPDATED: JUN 18, 2008 Bomber bottle...sooo dark brown that appears black...dark brown sugar head...the aroma takes my breath away, pure dark chocolate, and very much like a malted milk ball (whopper)...heaven has entered my nostrils, if heaven does exists its in the form of this inhale...can barely get away from the aroma to take a sip....damn. its a liquid dark chocolate bar...some solid malt to back up this phenomenon...its like a chocolate milkshake with added chunks of chocolate, just delicious...and the palate is simply luscious, glass has taken on some nice lacing as well...I could bathe in this beer, or create a lake with chocolate fishes and candy eels...:)

lemasney (398) - Trenton, New Jersey, USA - DEC 21, 2008
Style and Glass: Imperial Stout, Snifter ABV, Volume & Calories: 11% in 22 fl oz. estimated at 400 C Purchased at: Canal’s Burlington for $8.99 Aroma: So nice, cocoa, chocolate, milk chocolate, sourness, cream, caramel, alcohol. Visuals: beautiful packaging, as usual, utter darkness, like a night in the deep woods, black, opaque, nice tan head, strong lace. Taste: Well balanced, syrupy chocolate, tight bitter finish, warming, strong, delicious. Palate: High quality, smooth texture, warm, bitter finish. Overall: dessert in a bottle. I’d have it again in a heartbeat. Likely my favorite chocolate imperial stout. It turns it to 11. Nicely done once again by Southern Tier.

zev (5) - secaucus, New Jersey, USA - JAN 2, 2010 does not count
wwwwwwwwwooooooooooowwwww this isthe flavor your looking for in a chocolate stout. in my opinion better than both rogue chocolate stout and fort collins double chocolate stout. the abv is just a plus with this rediculously good beer

sunnyridge (222) - USA - APR 6, 2010
Is there any chocolate stout like this anywhere else??? Amazing release from Southern Tier. The nose smells of sweet/milk chcolate some bakers choclate, and malt. the taste is amazing, super rich milk chocolate and malt, and what’s craziest- hardly a trace of alcohol at 11% abv!!! I just wonder if anything in the style will ever come close to this???

cwsample (163) - Texas, USA - APR 16, 2010
Bottle courtesy of Cavie.

Wow. I don’t know what to say but wow. This is absolutely amazing. I love chocolate and I love beer. And this is the best of both worlds. If Ghirardelli were to make a beer, this would be it. Absolutely fantastic.

wickster (85) - fort wayne, Indiana, USA - SEP 26, 2010
Holy Chocolate Batman! This is an amazing. There is almost too much chocolate flavor going on...if that is even possible. The aroma is of...you guessed it, Chocolate! The taste: ALL chocolate! Drinking this baby in a pint glass from a cold 22oz bottle. Personally I think it is best once it warms a bit to about 10 deg bellow room temp....I frig’ing love this beer!

KevinFever (2) - Ontario, CANADA - OCT 11, 2010 does not count
Easily the best Chocolate Beer I’ve ever had. Previously I’d felt Rogue’s Chocolate Stout was tops but this is so much better. 650 ml Bottle from LCBO. Pours an extremely dark black, almost no head to speak of. Aroma is heavy on chocolate with a little coffee and caramel. The taste is bitter, dark chocolate and it IS potent. Finishes nicely but remains with you for awhile as it is a little on the strong side. Alcohol level is not noticeable but it does have a little bit of a kick to it. This is quite easily one of the best beers I’ve ever tasted and am quite happy to say I bought out the LCBO stock in my area so I can enjoy it for the forseeable future.

bpreo (1747) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - DEC 3, 2010
My 500th beer rated on RateBeer.com I bought this specifically for this occasion, knowing it would be something special. Not only is it my 500th beer, but it is also my very first "perfect score". (I did not plan on this either, fate has truly taken its course) The top three words that could ever appear in the title of a beer are all included in this one: "IMPERIAL" "CHOCOLATE" "STOUT". The bottle I bought is even better because it is 11% alcohol, compared to the advertised 9.5%. It also comes in a giant bottle, equivalent to 3 regular beers. It seems that all is right in my world tonight, CHEERS! :)

truffles (1) - Buena Park, California, USA - DEC 17, 2010 does not count
I am an easy person to please but when it comes down to stouts and porters, I am a difficult person.. it needs to be perfect and perfection has been found in Southern Tier’s Choklat Stout. Smells and tastes like a perfectly blended Hershey’s chocolate milk with no unfortunate aftertaste lingering.. I daresay that even people who don’t enjoy the fine taste of beer will fall in love with this one. And this last line is said and backed 100% with every fiber of my being.