overall

RATINGS: 1570   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
“the ancients called it ‘food for the gods’“ The Popol Vuh, the sacred book of the Maya, unfolds a complex web of mystery around a beverage known as xocoatl (ch-co-atle). At Southern Tier, we’re not surprised that hieroglyphs of the ancient Maya depict chocolate being poured for rulers and gods. Even through the many voyages of Columbus, the mystical bean remained nothing more than a strange currency of the native peoples. Moving through centuries, the circular journey of cacao has been realized in our brewing house, encompassing the complexity of the darkest, bitter-sweet candy together with the original frothy cold beverage of the ancient Maya to bring to you our Blackwater Series Choklat Stout. We have combined the finest ingredients to tempt your senses & renew the power & interrelation of history in every bottle.
2013 vintage - 10% abv

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
padrefan98 (854) - (San Diego) Santee, California, USA - JUN 30, 2008
Shared at Lost Abbey. Aromas and flavors of chocolate malt. Very good. More chocolate then I expected.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
fordest (2014) - Santee/San Diego, California, USA - JUN 28, 2008
22 oz bottle shared at the Lost Abbey Angel’s Share Release. Lots of chocolate all over this beer. In the flavor and the aromas. Everywhere. Made a very decent breakfast beer. Hints of mocha, and then more chocolate. Did not seem like 11%. Very good.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
bluemeow76 (693) - Lewis Center, Ohio, USA - JUN 28, 2008
From recent stout tasting. I can’t say why I have a general bad feeling about Southern Tier beers - b/c this was really good! I was very pleasantly surprised by this stout. Very rich and flavorful, great robust taste.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
chicagodri (1683) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUN 26, 2008
Pours a dark black with a thin tan head. Incredible chocolate aroma, very sweet, probably one of the best smelling beers I have had. Nice dark chocolate flavor, a little oily of a body. Enjoyable though, should have one for dessert. 11% is incredibly well hidden. One of their better beers I have had.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
1FastSTi (3341) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 25, 2008
Pours to an extremely dark brown body with a thin rapidly dissipating tan head. The aroma is unmistakeably a milk chocolate caramel filled Hershey’s Treasure. The flavor is more grainy barley under the chocolate base than I would have thought given the aroma. Liquid chocolate and barley brownies. Some sweet caramel. The palate has a lingering sweet mouthwatering medium body. Oily. Too much of everything. This isn’t balanced well.

heemer77 (5129) - Urbandale, Iowa, USA - JUN 23, 2008
Bomber. The body was black with a dark tan head. The aroma was obvious from the moment I opened the bottle. It is like a strongly made hot chocolate with lots of cocoa. There is also a light tobacco hint, but the chocolate is the star. The tast is like hot chocolate with some lightly roasted peanuts. Wow, I have had lots of chocolate beers and this one tastes more like chocolate that I would want to want to eat than any other. Amazing what they have done with this beer. As I drink, I tried to get more character, but it is as dominated by chocolate as anything I have tasted. Southern Tier has a unique winner in this brew. Absolutely intense and one of a kind.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
mcbackus (758) - Merritt Island, Florida, USA - JUN 21, 2008
bottle: pours a very dark chocolate brown colour with a good tan head. aroma is an amazing pure milk chocolate, almost hot chocolate like with touches of cocooa powder. awesome. flavour is absolutley great all milk chocolate upfront plus a littel bitter cocoa mouth feel is so smooth and creamy.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
presario (4730) - Stampede City, Alberta, CANADA - JUN 20, 2008
Big bottle. Thick light brown head on black. Huge intoxicating dry chocolate cake liquor aroma. Each sip is an expensive dry 75%-90% unsweetened chocolate piece. An amazing beer but not one that you would drink on a daily basis or even pint afte pint on one night.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
durhambeer (2500) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JUN 17, 2008
The truth is that I really wanted to like this beer, but in the back of my mind I knew that I wouldn’t. And... I didn’t, really. I guess I kind of did. Nearly black pour and barely any carbonation to speak of. Nose of chocolate milk, malt (in the sense of Whoppers), cheap Easter candy, Hershey’s chocolate syrup, and some decent fruit (cherries? orange Russell Stover’s nougat?). Maybe a little nuttiness. More sweet fudginess on the tongue. Much more sweet to me than the other reviews indicate, perhaps because I had a very bitter De Dolle Export Stout beforehand. Nice aftertaste. Alcohol is well hidden, but certainly felt. Overall, feels a bit one-note as the chocolate hits you over the head, but hey, I guess that’s the point. Growing on me a little as I drink more, but that’s probably just the buzz. Can’t really imagine drinking this again, but if chocolate is your thing, this is your beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Dogbrick (8813) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - JUN 17, 2008
Sample at the Most Honorable SuperHappyFun Stout Tasting. This brew is a glossy black color with a thick and foamy tan head that dissipates slowly. Rings of lacing. The aroma is chocolatey with light roasted malt and vanilla in the background. Rich body with a nice dark choclate character, as well as some cocoa, malt and hops. Alcohol is well-masked throughout. The finish is chocolate and roasted nuts. Chocolate beers, like Fruit and Smoked beers, walk a fine line with me as far as going overboard. This beer is wonderfully balanced and enjoyable throughout.