overall

RATINGS: 1596   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.05   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 330   ABV: 11%
“the ancients called it ‘food for the gods’“ The Popol Vuh, the sacred book of the Maya, unfolds a complex web of mystery around a beverage known as xocoatl (ch-co-atle). At Southern Tier, we’re not surprised that hieroglyphs of the ancient Maya depict chocolate being poured for rulers and gods. Even through the many voyages of Columbus, the mystical bean remained nothing more than a strange currency of the native peoples. Moving through centuries, the circular journey of cacao has been realized in our brewing house, encompassing the complexity of the darkest, bitter-sweet candy together with the original frothy cold beverage of the ancient Maya to bring to you our Blackwater Series Choklat Stout. We have combined the finest ingredients to tempt your senses & renew the power & interrelation of history in every bottle.
2013 vintage - 10% abv

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ucusty (2691) - raleigh, North Carolina, USA - SEP 7, 2008
Carolina Crew tasting! Bottle courtesy of Todd! Thanks! stout lives up to its name. Fudge brownies on the nose. Chocolate milk and roast for flavors. Nice creamy finish

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Rastacouere (6161) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 27, 2008
Objectively speaking: Very efficient liquid chocolate dose for the junkies.
I like: Unadulterated chocolate glory from the beginning to finish. No false advertising and spot on in that regards. In a ways, this is to chocolate imperial stouts what New Glarus Raspberry tart is to fruit beers: not very complex, but highly satisfying and spot on. It even manages to be relatively drinkable for its mammoth size.
I dislike: Ultimately, if I’m drinking an 11% beer, complexity is important to me. I mostly enjoy focus when I was a refreshing ale. I do enjoy it for what it is, but do not find it as attractive as the chocolate bar it replaces.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
waolsen (1371) - Littleton, Colorado, USA - AUG 25, 2008
bottle. maple pour with thin tan head. OMG chocolate, roasted aroma. rich thick chocolate. nice dessert beer. alcohol well hidden. crazy rich chocolate. not much else to say.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
MartinT (8619) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 24, 2008
My Bottom Line:
Pure dessert, this Imperial stout is. Amazingly generous chocolate aromas and flavors seduce all the way to a roasty bitterness in a relaxed and huggable mouthfeel. Wow.

Further Personal Perceptions:
-A veil of foam protects the brown-sleeved black.
-This is exactly as advertised: chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. I have to say I’ve never had such a chocolatey beer, yet I cannot say it is overdone.
-This chocolate is reminiscent of 65% cocoa or so. They must have TONS of it. Somehow, it is very palatable, even at 11%.
-Alcohol is very well hidden.
-Carbonation is rather low, which leaves the tastebuds ample room to explore the chocolatey depths.

Bottle.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Dough77 (821) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - AUG 20, 2008
This was a weird one, especially to rate. I love me some good chocolate and chocolate this thing was indeed! But on the same note, that was it. Just lots and lots of tasty milk chocolaty goodness. It got boring quick. Good nonetheless, just kinda one thing through and through.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Hophead22 (2879) - Redlands, by way of Wisconsin,, California, USA - AUG 18, 2008
22oz. bottle. Pours a deep dark brown, with just a little red on the outside fringes. Wow, smells just like chocolate milk, awsome aroma, just full of chocolatly goodness. Big chocolae flavor as well, just a little dark malts as well and a nice little hoppy finish. Excellent beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
mgermani (1002) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - AUG 16, 2008
Pours a pitch black with the thinnest and most short-lived tan head ever. Aroma is rich and chocolaty, very sweet. Tases like a liquid brownie - yum yum yum! Plenty of sweet chocolate with just a hint of the high gravity but otherwise well-hidden. Touch of spice (cloves?). Undercarbonated body, but thick and milkshake-like. What a real treat this was - pity about the lack of a head and the thinness of the body. Many thanks to Ughsmash for sending this my way - I have waited long to try it, and I can’t wait to get my hands on it again!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
NomDeBeer (414) - Maryland, USA - AUG 14, 2008
Smells of syrupy chocolate, molasses, and chinook hops. Pours a near black color with a small tan head that subsides to little more than a ring around the perimeter of my mug. Looks a bit thin at first, and for an impy stout at 11% ABV, it is a tad thin on the palate. Tastes very sweet and sugary - chocolate, caramel, and a bit of pancake syrup perhaps? Nice hoppy bitterness at the end (gotta love Chinook hops). Short finish. The alcohol is remarkably well-hidden in this beer. I never would have guessed 11%. I would love to see a bit more hops and body on this one, but I’m probably splitting hairs. Great beer, dangerously drinkable.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
bb (7644) - Alamo, California, USA - AUG 13, 2008
Bottle. Black beer with reddish highlights and a tan head. Rich dark chocolate aroma. Rich dark chocolate flavor with some malt. Medium bodied. Lingering dark chocolate. It really does taste just like dark chocolate, but it’s a bit too much of a 1 trick pony for me.

nimbleprop (6063) - SouthWest, Washington, Washington DC, USA - AUG 11, 2008
Sampled a 22oz bottle at my first imperial stout tasting. Pours a deep, oily black with only a thin white head. The aroma of chocolate is prevalent from a foot and a half away. Nose also has a little bit of coffee beans, some toast and caramel. Flavor was very sweet as well, milk chocolate, caramel with a little licorice on the end. Finish is sweet and a little bitter. Had this side by side with the Southern Tier Creme Brulee and this was clearly second place. That said, I’m sure it could stand alone if need be.